Getting ready for the Rain.......

Sept. 13, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

Curious what wool tights you get?

I had some old ( OLD) Vittoria ones that I loved and when I needed to replace them I got some nice ones made by a company called Jonesware. Sadly, they are no more.

Ironically, the Mrs. swears by her Icebreaker merino tights. My all-time favourites are my thick-ass Louis Garneau polypro tights that are now about 20 years old and sorely in need of replacement.

PROtip: Icebreaker off-season sale pricing is amazing.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Sept. 13, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

if you can mount fenders by all means do so for THE most water protection,OTOH fenders get in the way when the wheels are off, they cost more, they weigh more, its harder to mount to a suspension fork, I got one of those DT deflectors on my prophet also my touring bike which has been shipped across the pond a few times and try mounting a fender that will last on a lefty

I think the plastic layers insulate just as well as wool, they wear much better also I find the thicker/coarser wool layers bother my delicate skin, I got polypro 100s tights that must be 20 yrs old but there is no way wool would last that long so I just wear merino if the stink will be a concern like in a BC hut or extended kayak trip but if I can regularly get near the washing machine like front country/local ski touring or biking around the valley plastic is cheaper/more bomber lasts much longer and I think drys faster

Yeah I shop the sales I wait till I can get merino baselayer for 1/2 price and I usually wear them around town as opposed to beating them up in the outdoors… my merino doesn't get to go on a trip till they are full of holes and too beat up to wear around town

Sept. 13, 2013, 5:07 p.m.

I am running the SKS Raceblade longs. Once set up they pop off (and snap back on) in no time. Some folks like the cruds as well. These two seem to be what roadies migrate to.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Sept. 16, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

Some folks like the cruds as well.

The Raceblade Longs offer much, much better coverage and security than the Cruds, which we no longer sell. All strap-on-style fenders tend to shift and rub on the tire, particularly if the bike is ever locked up or leaned against something. I couriered on a set of the Planet Bike Speed'Eez'ez for about two and a half days until I tore them off and pitched them in a garbage can in a fit of pique and disgust.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

Sept. 16, 2013, 12:04 p.m.

Yeah, but it looks like they are out of the cycling biz. I have a pair of their wool/ Lycra blend bibs. Great shorts, really. Wated to pick up another pair and cannot find them anywhere. Not mentioned on the website any more either.

Give On the Rivet a call and see if they've got any old stock left!

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

Nov. 4, 2013, 5:32 p.m.

well, did my first torrential rain ride with some new gear, temp was 7c, and very windy. Rain was "fast wiper speed" rating

Showers Pass 2.1 elite jacket - LOVE IT, wore a fleece underneath and a long sleeve nike dry shirt
Sugoi RPM rain pants - got a sportchek for ultra cheap, did the job!
Sugoi booties - I know these leak so I put grocery store plastic bags around my feet and the booties over top. Stayed dry.
Decente gloves - not sure of the model but they eventually filled with water BUT hands stayed warm so…….
Hotel shower cap clear plastic - fit over my catlike helmet and worked wonderfully. I just got a showerspass helmet cover, I now regret spending that money when my shower cap did the job. Think I may return not sure….

so…next ride this week in rain I will try some MEC derecher crab gloves for the rain and user thin decente gloves. Not sure with them should stay dry but I bet they are slippery to use.

Nov. 4, 2013, 6:23 p.m.

why you no sell crud no mo' ?

i like mine a lot . . . i bought two pairs .

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:56 p.m.

A good set of fenders are worth the weight and hassle if you want to stay dry in the rain. Mine stay on year-round on my commuter bike.
I don't run them on my fancy plastic road bike though. I wear MEC gore-tex rain pants with full -length zippers and with the zippers open you do stay cool enough in the fall and winter. MEC shoe covers work well too.

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:08 a.m.

I have some SKS fenders, brand new, never mounted for sale. Bought them for $75+tax but I have 28 tires. If you have anything less, you can have them for $50.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:15 a.m.

i just tested a pair of neoprene gloves for the first time yday..im getting a pair for sure..

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-626/mec-humboldt-sq-3mm-gloves-unisex/?h=10+50089+50020+50111[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50089+50112

i know i know mec is the devil..but they are on sale right now. i used them on the trials bike all day yday. wicked warm. i broke 3 meta carpals 2 yrs back. leftie gets so sore in the cold. not with these on..:)

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

Duke on the trials bike…. do tell, I hear rumor of some whiskey throttle.

I have a pair of those neoprene gloves for when I was learning sledding and digging all day.

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

some whiskey throttle? fuk I'm lucky I'm not dead. within the first 90 second i ran strait into my shipping container..

then i got coach dave riding up 2" wet greasy rails and dropping off the side..

good times. but today my body parts don't move…

Nov. 5, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

on daves last visit in sept he told me "its not an epic until somebody gets mad"

lets just say we had an epic..:)

Nov. 5, 2013, 12:51 p.m.

I am loving my showers pass 2.1 for the fit and the right weight AND I got it through backcountry.com for $129! Keep your eye on items you're looking for, then the right size or colour pops up and you can often snap it up for an amazing price.