Flat Bar Shifters

April 24, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

I'm looking to switch my commuter bike from drop bars to flat ones. I am currently running a 9sp Tiagra drive train. Can I use Shimano mountain bike shifters, or would I have to use flat bar road shifters? Assuming 9sp shifters of course…

April 24, 2016, 4:11 p.m.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

April 24, 2016, 11:22 p.m.

2 ways to do it is:

buy new Tiagra flat bar shifters and pr canti pull brake levers if you intend to keep the road brakes that you have. V-brake levers will not work, old canti pull ratio levers is what you need for road calipers. The rear shifter (mountain or tiagra flat) doesn't matter, pull is the same for shimano. It's mixing mtn front shifter and road front deraileur that gives trouble as the pull is different. Trust me, we tried.

IF you are set on using mtn bike shifters, the rear mtn shifter and rear road der will be ok. Using a front mtn shifter, you will need to install either a FD-R443 or FD-R453. This accommodates a ROAD triple ring setup, ours was 30/39/50 AND more essentially give the proper pull ratio.

We did the exact thing to a 2011 dolce road bike for a friend who wanted a road bike, but couldn't do drop bars. Handling was so so, but a fun and quick runner which seems suited for city zipping around. I used a set of st-ef65-4a shifters which are 9 spd mtn shifters and optional V or canti brake setup by moving an internal black. I have a new set and I'd sell them cheap if you want to go that route. You'd have to get a front der (I got one used on ebay from pro's closet for $15)

but, I'd suggest, just go Tiagra flat bar route and leave the current front der. I think the key to a good fit is a long [HTML_REMOVED] upright stem with bar ends. Kinda weird but fun in a way. btw, the brakes worked great and so did the shifting (ran a 11-34 w/ a deore) after all was done. Toe overlap was also an issue with the wide bars on the small frame. hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 25, 2016, 9:33 a.m.

Shimano makes Sora, Tiagra and 105 flat bar shifters. My GF has a 10 speed Tiagra flatbar setup on her Giant. I'm pretty sure if you call around to all the shops someone has some new old stock 9 speed shifters that they would sell you for cheap because everyone wants 10 and 11 speed now. Then you don't have to worry if MTB works with Road.

April 25, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

Shimano makes Sora, Tiagra and 105 flat bar shifters. My GF has a 10 speed Tiagra flatbar setup on her Giant. I'm pretty sure if you call around to all the shops someone has some new old stock 9 speed shifters that they would sell you for cheap because everyone wants 10 and 11 speed now. Then you don't have to worry if MTB works with Road.

What????? You also have a girlfriends? Your fiancée might not be too happy with that.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

April 25, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

What????? You also have a girlfriends? Your fianc�e might not be too happy with that.

It's hard to say fianSAY out loud because of Elaine on Seinfeld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRxLLS3BGg

Now back to discussing bike parts.

April 25, 2016, 11:55 a.m.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone.

IF you are set on using mtn bike shifters, the rear mtn shifter and rear road der will be ok.

My main reason to look into mtn bike shifters is that they seem to be cheaper. I have found some Sora shifters online for around $110, whereas Deore shifters go for about $50.

I think the key to a good fit is a long [HTML_REMOVED] upright stem with bar ends. Kinda weird but fun in a way. Toe overlap was also an issue with the wide bars on the small frame. hope this helps.

My main reason for doing this is that I have a long frame with a low stack height, so I end up riding on the hoods 98% of the time. I figured since I never use the drop bar, might as well switch it to flat.