Commuting Bike Advice

Dec. 30, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

So I'm finally shopping for a commuter bike. It's come down to two basic options:

1. Go with a CX bike. Quick on the road, good pedalling bike I can put some miles on if I really want to.
  2. A more pure city/commuting bike like a Specialized Sirrus. Something that would be more useful for casual commuting around the city.

Any thoughts on going one way or the other?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 30, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

Buy my Sutra.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/bik/4265352094.html

/profit

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 30, 2013, 2:40 p.m.

Buy my Sutra.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/bik/4265352094.html

/profit

If you've also got a 62cm version I totally will.

Dec. 30, 2013, 4:11 p.m.

How far is your commute? The CX bike with drop bars will be better for longer rides. Drops are sweet for putting your head down on long flats.

If you are mostly in the city, a more head's up position is better for visibility and hopping curbs and what not.

What is your budget? Discs?

Dec. 30, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

My commute is [HTML_REMOVED]4km each way. No major climbs. Lots of traffic.
As a mountain biker I want discs and I don't want Hayes or Tektro. I want Avids or Shimanos.
It looks like I'll have to spend around $900 to get what I like.

Dec. 30, 2013, 4:47 p.m.

Cove was advertising '13 Dr. Dew's for $800.

The nice thing about cheaper commuters, is you can upgrade them with hand me downs from the mountain bike. I would not stress too much about which brakes come on it. Those tektro hydros are not too bad. Switching to elixer 3's or Deores is cheap down the road.

Most of the city bike/hybrids from big brands are going to have aluminum frames. I prefer a steel frame for a commuter. More comfortable and durable, and the weight difference is negligible.

Fairdale Weekender is a pretty cool bike, though I'm not sure they make a big enough size for you.

Dec. 30, 2013, 4:49 p.m.

What do we think of the Giant Anyroad? Curious bike for sure.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anyroad.1/14819/66151/

Dec. 30, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

See if you can find an older Giant Seek 1 around. '12 or '11. Slicks, discs, flat bars, full gearing, able to mount fenders, wheels able to take down to 700x25cc tires.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 30, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

On a 4km commute you could ride just about anything. With a distance so short, I would base my decision on the other things I'd like to do with the bike outside of commuting. Fancy a cross race, ever? Endowment Lands gravel rips? Seawall cruising? Groceries? Leaving it outside a bar at night?

I have a 1981 Sekine converted to single speed, full metal honjo fenders, absolutely terrible original single pivot brakes. It's been utterly reliable for commuting some relatively long distances and I don't care where I park it or crash it. I get the desire for disc brakes but would personally skip the commuter category.

flickr

Dec. 30, 2013, 7:49 p.m.

On a 4km commute you could ride just about anything. With a distance so short, I would base my decision on the other things I'd like to do with the bike outside of commuting. Fancy a cross race, ever? Endowment Lands gravel rips? Seawall cruising? Groceries? Leaving it outside a bar at night?

I have a 1981 Sekine converted to single speed, full metal honjo fenders, absolutely terrible original single pivot brakes. It's been utterly reliable for commuting some relatively long distances and I don't care where I park it or crash it. I get the desire for disc brakes but would personally skip the commuter category.

I'll second that, specially the bar thing!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Dec. 30, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

My commute is [HTML_REMOVED]4km each way. No major climbs. Lots of traffic.
As a mountain biker I want discs and I don't want Hayes or Tektro. I want Avids or Shimanos.
It looks like I'll have to spend around $900 to get what I like.

4kms ummm you could walk that.

Anything that rolls.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 30, 2013, 8:10 p.m.

Flat barred, disc equipped road oriented hybrid is the way to go. Comfortable riding position and good visibility. Reasonably fast and the disc brakes will save your bacon one day.

Dec. 30, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

What do we think of the Giant Anyroad? Curious bike for sure

For commuting? Where do I put my bag and how can I keep myself dry without fenders!?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Dec. 31, 2013, 2 p.m.

Deja vu…didn't you already do a thread about what commuter to get?

Dec. 31, 2013, 2 p.m.

Maybe.