commuting backpack?

May 19, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

Looking for suggestions on the best commuting bag, and where to get it.

After a few years off of bike commuting, just started it back up. My 7 year old chrome messenger bag, while having held up well, is tiring me with the single shoulder thing.

Considerations
- north shore to downtown over LGB, 1 or 2 park laps if I have time
- great bike facilities in our building. Have a locker and bike lock up, won't be carrying a lock
- bring my laptop 1-2 times a week
- be ideal to access keys and security card without taking off pack, or at least opening it
- will be riding in the wet

Suggestions? Thanks!

May 19, 2015, 11:40 p.m.

the best commuting bag might be a 14L acre hauser. low profile but fits a laptop, and it has a little side pocket you can use for stashing keys, etc. without removing your pack

but i would (and do) use a pannier

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 20, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

the best commuting bag might be a 14L acre hauser. low profile but fits a laptop, and it has a little side pocket you can use for stashing keys, etc. without removing your pack

but i would (and do) use a pannier

Took a look at it online, wow that is a nice looking pack . . . and the price to match !

I'm no fan of panniers, just my preference. Plus I will swap bikes depending on the weather and my mood. A quick rip on the cross bike before or after work would be fun !

May 20, 2015, 12:01 p.m.

I use a 21 year old MEC Weeping Wall backpack (25L, I think), with a rain cover on wet days. I put my laptop in a Tom Bihn Cache sleeve. Clothes in a plastic grocery bag.

If I were buying something new today, I'd maybe get something more waterproof to avoid needing the rain cover, with a top / external zippered pouch / pocket of some sort. I would not pay $200 for a 14L pack, no matter how nifty.

May 20, 2015, 1:48 p.m.

I use a fox Oasis bag, it's kind of small for what you want, but I really like it - maybe check out the Fox Portage? Not sure how waterproof they are though, I tend to wrap my stuff up in plastic bags if it's raining

May 20, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

The Deuter Giga looks promising, would be curious to know if others have tried it!?

I have a Deuter Futura 28, but it doesn't fit a laptop well due to it's curved design. I still use it anyway, but would like something better.

May 20, 2015, 6:15 p.m.

I forgot to say that I've found wearing shorts with a zippered thigh pocket lets me avoid most reasons (house key, office security card) for taking off my pack, but that depends on how tolerant you are to having something floating about in your pocket while riding.

May 25, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

I am using a standard MEC pack, I think it is 28L (an older version of this)
I think something that doesn't require a rain cover will be the replacement, but otherwise, meets all my similar needs (same route, same preferences). Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but it's cheap and I can get my opener, keys out without taking it off.

Dec. 19, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

anybody have experience with this? on sale at mec. have panniers for the commuter, but right now i mtb with a 17" laptop in a 20+ year old mec backpack, which gets rather rank with the back sweat. this looks pretty good

Dec. 20, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

I use the marmot kompressor. Holds lots. Is super light so it's not to hot in the summer and when it's empty it packs down to nothing. Only water resistant though so not ideal in heavy rain but adequate for short hops in light rain. Marmot Kompressor

Dec. 21, 2015, 11:34 a.m.

If you get dank back I'd recommend something with a proper open mesh back panel.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-761/deuter-futura-22-daypack-unisex/?q=deuter

The Deuter isn't same modern looking style as that Evoc, but will be 1000x time more breathable on your back.

Dec. 21, 2015, 8:44 p.m.

thanks…breathable back should be the number one for me actually, as by the time i get up burnaby mountain, i am dripping. i'll check it out.

Dec. 22, 2015, 12:37 p.m.

One thing to check is whether or not a skiing or hiking pack comes up high enough to contact your helmet while riding. Some will do that and I find it annoying. What is nice about the Acre 14L Hauser is that it is quite stable being wide and flat. If you need to carry a notebook though you will need a wide pack. Makes no difference to me how breathable a pack is because I sweat huge anyway. Most today are good enough. You sweat with or without a pack. I sweat hiking the dog with no pack. MEC has many to choose from. Figure out what you need to carry in it and bring it to the store and try them on. Bend over like your on a bike too.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 22, 2015, 6:26 p.m.

lots of good, technical dorsal-oriented schlepp-sacks here

but if anyone's interested in embracing their inner sweatbeast and going full-on form over function

daB rivendell stickpack. it's like a superbespoke version of the ol' mec rocketpack. throw it in your wald basket and keep your back dry!

:drool:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave