Cold Face

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:12 a.m.

So the ride in was pretty cold this morning. Anyone got any good solutions for stopping the face freeze other than a whole bunch of HTFU? Those neoprene masks any good?

I am usually OK once I get to lower elevations / get pedaling but those first 10 minutes can be rough.

Dec. 1, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

1. Neoprene balaclava, very nice
2. Grow a beard
3. HTFU

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 1, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

Neck tube

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

My current solution is to drive my car. :) In my past life I would us a balaclava.

Dec. 1, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

i wear a buff and riding glasses on cold winter days to keep the wind off of my face. also have a sugoi skull cap for under the helmet for those super cold ones. i personally felt as though my eyeballs partially froze on the ride in today.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Dec. 1, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

Appreciate the help. One question, don't those buff things get super wet when you breathe through them?

Dec. 1, 2014, 2:44 p.m.

Yes, I pull my buff down below my mouth to prevent this though I don't have any long descents to contend with…

Dec. 1, 2014, 3:07 p.m.

I wear a Buff for skiing/snowboarding no real issue. I could see in some serious cold, say -10?C it getting frozen from the condensation from your breathing, but I've been fine so far.

FYI Icebreaker has merino neck tubes on sale today!
I picked up one so I no longer have to use the ski one for around town.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 1, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

Yes, I pull my buff down below my mouth to prevent this though I don't have any long descents to contend with…

same. for most of the ride the buff is around my neck. but i find that when i actually get into the urban and downtown areas where i spend a lot more time stopped at lights etc and there is a shitty cross-wind that i can keep the buff on since i'm not breathing so hard.

also, i've been told by friends of mine that you can get wool buffs that are more breathable and don't get all funky with moisture.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Dec. 1, 2014, 3:33 p.m.

I might have to try the buff then. Don't find my neck is too bad but the bridge of my nose gets pretty cold during the first part of my ride (mostly down hill).

Dec. 1, 2014, 6:15 p.m.

I'm riding in -10 or -15 with windchill these days. I wear one of those designer cotton SARS masks the Azns like to wear. I have one made of wool. They're sooo cozy on a cold day.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 4, 2014, 9:21 a.m.

Arctic Buff. It is fleece on the bottom and the lighter material everywhere else. Bit warmer, use the thin side. Mercury dropped? Flip it over and use the fleece.

Dec. 4, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

I have a really nice silk balaclava for truly frigid weather. Made by Emernegildo Zegna. Can't get them anymore. There are synthetic ski helmet balaclavas that would be good I think. I need to cover up skiing when it's below - 15C due to the wind chill from skiing fast. I get frostbite easily now.

Bigger concern for me when it is cold is black ice. I avoid commuting then and go off road in the evening instead for exercise. Last night was super fun and fast with excellent visibility with all the frost. Great traction though. I thought this AM was a bit sketchy though but I was fine on my road bike.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 4, 2014, 2:55 p.m.

Bigger concern for me when it is cold is black ice. I avoid commuting then and go off road in the evening instead for exercise. Last night was super fun and fast with excellent visibility with all the frost. Great traction though. I thought this AM was a bit sketchy though but I was fine on my road bike.

This….
Temperatures looking sketchy for early morning commute next few days so I'm not chancing riding into work…

Dec. 4, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

Riding in early this week was kind of sketchy with the black ice. Honestly looking forward to the change back to rain (never thought I'd say that…)

I rock a buff as well (for skiing and cold commuting)