Carrying work clothing?

Sept. 10, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

What's the solution to commuters that work in an office environment with a business casual dress code? Carrying clothes in a backpack staying un-wrinkled? Are you wearing the same stanky cycling clothes in the afternoon as the morning?

Sept. 10, 2013, 11:24 a.m.

get merino wool shorts/jersey for riding to/from work. it dries out quickly and deosn't stink. keep a clean pants and a couple of shirts at the office and just bring clean socks/underwear to change into at work. once a week drive to work with fresh pants/shirts.

the other option is to go with a rack and panniers.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 10, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

What's the solution to commuters that work in an office environment with a business casual dress code?

A backpack. Keep a spare emergency set at work for days you forget something. In a pinch, a USB cord can be a belt (but you only do that once).

Carrying clothes in a backpack staying un-wrinkled?

Roll clothes up loosely in a small5L drybag. Roll 'em right before you leave the house (not the night before) and take them out as soon as you get there. Don't pack the backpack tightly and don't pile stuff on top of the clothes. (It's easy when it's routine.)

Are you wearing the same stanky cycling clothes in the afternoon as the morning?

Yes, except socks and gonch. (Hang the rest of the cycling clothes up while at work so they aren't still wet.)

Sept. 10, 2013, 2:17 p.m.

Leave a stock of shirts and a pair of pants at the office. Bring them home every few weeks for a wash.

Wear the same cycling clothing back and forth. Hang it up to dry during the day. Never been an issue.

Sept. 10, 2013, 2:25 p.m.

Carrying clothes in a backpack staying un-wrinkled?

I could never get my head round dropping a bunch of stuff off so I pack mine in daily. I used to do the rolling thing, but then I got one of these:
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folder-15/d/1090_c_211

Packs flat, smaller than a lap top, easy to use and keeps things wrinkle free. I just stuff it down the back of my pack, throw whatever else on top (lunch, work stuff) and go. I echo the packing in the morning, stuff will get wrinkled over night.

I keep some spare stuff at work for emergencies (pants, shirt, socks, underwear, belt). You never know what happens or what you forget. My dress shoes live at the gym.

Are you wearing the same stanky cycling clothes in the afternoon as the morning?

Pretty much, give or take. I'm also a big fan of as much Merino as possible to keep the smell away. I often carry spare socks in the winter when it rains a lot but Merino helps there too.

Sept. 10, 2013, 6:50 p.m.

Cotton twill casual dress pants (eg H[HTML_REMOVED]M) can be rolled up and transported:

Wrinkle proof shirts (eg polo-style shirts).

Bring a spare change of clothes into work on a day you don't ride into work and store it there. Take the extra set already there home. You never know when your clothes may end up being soaked in transit, or you may have accidentally left your pants at home (or at least, that's your story), or shown up at work a little less dressy than was appropriate. I have T-shirt days and dress shirt days at work, but can change chameleon-like because I like to play dress-up and always have some spare clothes stashed somewhere at work. Dry socks are also nice to store at work. I used to have a set of dry riding gear stashed at work to ride home in, but now there is a dryer at work (its a little complicated to explain, but I can wash my cycling clothes at work and have them dry by the end of the day).

Sept. 10, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

thanks for the tips everyone

I'm not going to kid myself and think I'm going to ride everyday but if I can do once or twice a week it should be fairly easy to plan ahead and take clothes the day before. It'll be a few more months before the bike path is completed where I work so I should be able to pretty much ride all the way to the office without having to ride with any traffic. It's all just talk at this point, we'll see if it actually happens.

Sept. 10, 2013, 9:50 p.m.

My Golden Rule of Commuting … never carry shoes as luggage on a commute. Buy a pair (or two) and keep them at work.

Sept. 11, 2013, 6:59 a.m.

thanks for the tips everyone

I'm not going to kid myself and think I'm going to ride everyday but if I can do once or twice a week it should be fairly easy to plan ahead and take clothes the day before. It'll be a few more months before the bike path is completed where I work so I should be able to pretty much ride all the way to the office without having to ride with any traffic. It's all just talk at this point, we'll see if it actually happens.

It may seem like a huge change but you will realize after the first commute that it wasn't such a big deal. Then you can be the hot guy who bikes into work every day.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Sept. 11, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

My Golden Rule of Commuting … never carry shoes as luggage on a commute. Buy a pair (or two) and keep them at work.

Yeah, carrying shoes was the first thing I changed. Too bulky and I rarely need them when not in the office.

Sept. 11, 2013, 10:07 a.m.

It may seem like a huge change but you will realize after the first commute that it wasn't such a big deal.

Until you end up riding one day in freezing rain or skid out on black ice, or get run off the road, or get 3 flats in succession (in the freezing rain, after skidding out on black ice while getting run off the road)… then it may be time little vacation from commuting. Its a little better now that all Translink buses have bike racks. I always carry a bus ticket in a ziplock bag to play as my trump card, just in case.

Sept. 11, 2013, 12:08 p.m.

I wish I could commute to work by bike…when it's nice out.

Sept. 11, 2013, 2:58 p.m.

9 Reasons You Should Never Bike To Work/

Your co-workers will be all, “Bob, what the hell did you do, bike to work today? It smells like somebody’s gutting a week-old deer carcass in your cubicle.”

Please. Give up your 45-minute drive into work, the drive that energizes you for the day ahead? Give up interacting with all those other fun, friendly, courteous drivers on the freeway? Sitting in traffic? Road construction? Merging? Not a chance.