Burnaby Commuters

April 8, 2015, 10:48 a.m.

so park and ride downtown from Kensington on the Greenway but would like to try some other routes

whats the Burnaby Mountain urban trail or even the TCT through burnaby mountain like

riding a cross bike

April 8, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

so park and ride downtown from Kensington on the Greenway but would like to try some other routes

whats the Burnaby Mountain urban trail or even the TCT through burnaby mountain like

riding a cross bike

I think the TCT on Burnaby mountain includes that climb up from Barnette Highway - it kills me with all the granny gear I can get on my mountain bike. Was never able to get up it without pushing on my cross bike.

April 8, 2015, 11:28 a.m.

a lot of the tct along the north end of bby is a nice ride, but plenty of up and down. the problem is from kensignton you're going to have to back track to hit to hit anything along sfu. if you head straight up kensington you can connect into the tct just north of hastings. from there it's a decent ride out to the pne and then you're back on the road at that point.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 8, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

I dont have to park at Kensington but thier is a convenient spot and its easy access to highway one. I occasionally park in new west and it adds another 20 minutes.

I wouldnt mind parking at Kensington and then looping around SFU on my ride home as an option. what kind of trail surface is the TCT?

April 8, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

I wouldnt mind parking at Kensington and then looping around SFU on my ride home as an option. what kind of trail surface is the TCT?

Fell Ave/Hastings (1 block west of Kensington) to west side of 2nd Narrows its smooth dirt with some pea gravel (it use to be mostly pea gravel but that washed away over the years) with a couple of hundred meters of paved road around Penzance Dr. Very rideable on a 'cross bike. Its basically an urban forest and very therapeutic.

You could park in Burnaby Mountain Park near Horizon's restaurant (just don't park in the reserved spots or leave your car overnight) or more discretely a little down Centennial Way. I've heard unverified second-hand rumours of the occasional ticket but never actually anything that sounded real. You could do all kinds of crazy laps around BBY Mtn before driving home if you wanted to.

April 8, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

I dont have to park at Kensington but thier is a convenient spot and its easy access to highway one. I occasionally park in new west and it adds another 20 minutes.

there are a few paved sections but most of it is crushed gravel so you would be fine on the cross bike. there are also a couple of sections you could/should skip to create a more direct route when you're heading home and doing the loop around sfu. there's also a number of different options for looping around sfu but what you do will depend on how much riding and climbing you feel like. we could always meet at the cambie at 7 to talk about potential routes. .

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 8, 2015, 2:05 p.m.

is that surface all the way thu the SFU section splinks. I have slicks on my cross bike but I suppose I could change that up

April 8, 2015, 2:36 p.m.

is that surface all the way thu the SFU section splinks. I have slicks on my cross bike but I suppose I could change that up

I would say probably 65% dirt and 35% paved. The climbing sections on slicks would be a pain but you might be able to do it depending on the width of the tire. imo you'd have more fun with knobs.

Maybe plan a mtb ride on sfu one day to get an idea of routes and what the trails are like to avoid any surprises?

Ellen Langer

April 9, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

rode it yesterday to fell. nice change but the slicks didnt work great on the steeper climbs.

thanks for the tips

April 9, 2015, 1:38 p.m.

rode it yesterday to fell. nice change but the slicks didnt work great on the steeper climbs.

thanks for the tips

Cross knobbies should do ya …