2nd Narrows East sidewalk now open

Sept. 15, 2015, 12:23 p.m.

Lions Gate has switch overs right under both ends of the bridge, and riding on both sides is allowed.

Don't know why they would only have one way on this bridge as there ideas plenty of room for two way traffic.

I've been cycle commuting NV to city daily for 25yrs and I use either bridge on a whim.

As far as I'm aware the Lions Gate is one way traffic and I never see anyone not doing so.

The IW was 2 way before the upgrade. That was a real pain trying to squeeze past the occasional person going the 'wrong' way.

Speed is the issue now. With the wide paths it's too damn dangerous to have 2 way traffic. It takes a couple minutes to cross over to the right side. Really not an issue. I'll certainly let people know when they go the wrong way.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Sept. 15, 2015, 12:43 p.m.

If going downtown it's not a big difference on which side of the bridge you go on. When heading east it's a fair bit more of a climb when going south on the west side.

It would have been nice if they put some fencing on the north east side and north west side. Fencing where the curb meets the road. They wouldn't need much, and it would add some safety.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 15, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

Also, having to dodge traffic on off-ramp and then an on-ramp on the IWB is a very real hazard to anyone cycling. Eliminating that needless danger makes a lot of sense IMHO.

Too true. That north east crossing (where the deep Cove traffic whips off) is hectic, as it always was. It's too bad they couldn't have come up with a solution to that.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Sept. 15, 2015, 7:50 p.m.

It takes a couple minutes to cross over to the right side. Really not an issue. I'll certainly let people know when they go the wrong way.

I'm not opposed to riding under the bridge at all, I don't like crossing the on/off ramps. Its just a matter of time before someone is hit.

Sept. 16, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

I'm usually super anal about this sort of stuff but I have no problems with two way traffic on the new wider sidewalk. It never seemed to be an issue when only one side was opened. Road over it a number of times.

Sept. 16, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

The IW was 2 way before the upgrade. I'll certainly let people know when they go the wrong way.

I'll be certain to ignore you like I did to buddy thus morning yelling "one-way!"

At both ends there is a sign which says bikes yield to oncoming bikes. That means is bi-directional on both sidewalks, but one direction has right of way, not exclusive right.

Sept. 16, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

Can't we just get along in harmony?

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

I think you'll find that they just haven't taken down the old signs yet.

"The new sidewalk is temporarily designated for two-way traffic while work crews begin construction to increase the width of the west sidewalk, which is expected to be closed through to fall 2015. Upon completion, both sidewalks will be shared for both walking and cycling, and become one-way."

But please feel free to ignore me. I'll reciprocate.

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

Link for that? Cheers.

Sept. 16, 2015, 7:11 p.m.

Not that I'm a stickler for rules and authority but there were 5 of these signs along the northbound route I rode home today. Every other post had one. Admittedly they are preaching to the choir. Don't know if there's anything telling those going the wrong way that they are.

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:15 p.m.

Lol, it was you I pedalled past as you stopped for a picture.

You gotta admit though, coming opposite to the "right" way, there's no indication that you're not meant to, other than "yield to opposing". One way streets have "do not enter" in the opposing direction.

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:17 p.m.

And as you come off the bridge on the south east side, there are bike path signs you could only read if you were riding south. They don't put stop signs on one way streets facing the wrong way.

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:20 p.m.

I'll be using the west side exclusively. My house is on the west side of the bridge and my work is at the bottom of the switchbacks on Bridgeway on the west side of the bridge. It would be an extra 1.5km's of biking plus I would have to bike up a pretty steep hill on Skeena to Cambridge just to abide by the law. I'm sure I'll get some snarky self righteous bikers with attitude telling me what a dick I am.

I'm the same but on the east side, but there are no 'one way signs' posted, and there are directional signs at the south end that would make you think riding the wrong way is ok. Hasn't stopped a few guys from yelling at me.

Anyone officially know the deal?

Sept. 17, 2015, 7:33 a.m.

According to old drivers' manual
traffic signs with a white backgrounds, such as speed limits are regulatory
yellow background signs, such as recommended speeds for sharp corners and for railway tracks are cautionary
green signs, such as directional signs for off ramps are for information purposes

Since the early 1990s I have been keeping track of most of the surveys and traffic counts conducted for one way vs two way. in all cases the number of people answering surveys in favour of two way have been greater to or equal to the number of people for one way (the surveys with the largest number of respondents have been in favour of two way). Traffic counts also show lots of two way (and at peak times the number of wrong way can exceed the one way nazis)

Sept. 20, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

Sounds like they need to widen the sidewalks.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40