2nd Narrows East sidewalk now open

Feb. 26, 2015, 8:08 p.m.

Be that as it may, but all that is about to change, according to MOTI.

"Bicycles travel in same direction as vehicles in the adjacent roadway."

then what about all of those bike lanes downtown? and that stupid ass dual way bike lane on the new powell street overpass. works great if you're heading west to downtown. useless if you're travelling east back home. it spits you out onto oncoming traffic.

But there are not, nor were there ever, any directional rules for cyclists on the second narrows.

there were travel direction yield rules on the west sidewalk during the construction phase when the east sidewalk was shut down

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Feb. 26, 2015, 8:34 p.m.

then what about all of those bike lanes downtown?

I think the Ironworker's Plan is more in line with the policy from the Lions Gate Bridge, I'm also thinking there may have to be barriers of some kind, like a series of posts or slalom-style gates, if it reaches the point where larger/wider EPVs and faster ICE driven bikes and scooters douche their way onto the mixed-use path.

Feb. 27, 2015, 3:52 p.m.

there were travel direction yield rules on the west sidewalk during the construction phase when the east sidewalk was shut down

I suppose, though at the time, I had in mind rules specifically preventing any travel in a given direction, on a given side of the bridge.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 27, 2015, 3:54 p.m.

the direction yield signs were there for about ten years before the sidewalk construction, and there have been numerous VCC Hub MOTH questionnaires/surveys/open houses and the two-way each way respondents have out numbered or been equal to the one-way nazis

June 21, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

Love the new sidewalk but the off ramps are an accident waiting to happen. Terrible sight lines on both North and South ends. The cluster f*@(/ at the North end is particularly dangerous. People come off the bridge and around the blind corner far too fast. I just about got smoked by a cyclist blasting around the corner while I was waiting to cross at the light. Please slow down people!

June 22, 2015, 10:32 a.m.

Love the new sidewalk but the off ramps are an accident waiting to happen. Terrible sight lines on both North and South ends. The cluster f*@(/ at the North end is particularly dangerous. People come off the bridge and around the blind corner far too fast. I just about got smoked by a cyclist blasting around the corner while I was waiting to cross at the light. Please slow down people!

It doesn't help that the N Side fence is a debris trap (they could raise the fencing a few inches above ground level). The fence needs to be lowered or have some means for riders to see what is coming up from behind the corner.

The S side junction is also bad. If forces people coming off Boundary to turn into a blind corner. You can move very slowly into the corner, but if someone is flying through the 3-way intersection, it would be very possible to collide.

I think its just a matter of time before there is a serious head-on collision, especially with/between people on electric assist bikes. Its pretty shitty having someone on of these things flying uphill, wobbling all over the place yelling at people to get out of the way.

June 22, 2015, 11:34 a.m.

But what about my strava time?

July 9, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

Unidirectional bike traffic signs up on the(unopened) west side of the Second Narrows bridge. They are also up on the East side, but are turned upside down and partially obscured.

I'm kind of split on this issue … I think unidirectional will be safer given the high speeds that can now be attained on the new paths. I used to be bummed at the thought of having to cross over once a day when they closed the East side for upgrades, but once I started doing it, I stopped caring. One thing that makes it all that more pleasant is that it forces me to ride the forested, leafy X-Canada trail under the South Side of the bridge, which is really nice. They really need a better/more visible traffic signal on the North end of the West Side on-ramp (unless they've fixed it in the last few months).

July 23, 2015, 7:26 p.m.

They replaced the fencing on the North End of the East side of the bridge … you can now see through it around the corners. It has been lowered (or is it just my imagination?) and the chainlink isn't that plastic-coated opaque stuff. Much better!

July 23, 2015, 8:53 p.m.

What the heck are those weird triangular structures that appeared mid-span this week??

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

July 23, 2015, 9:40 p.m.

Those new structures are supports for highway signs. I guess they were built to withstand an earthquake or possibly a small thermonuclear blast. Bridge will be closed overnight during the signage installation.

Regarding the one-way traffic on the sidewalks, I am all for it. Less chance of high speed collisions coming down the hill.

July 23, 2015, 10:35 p.m.

In other news, our transportation group just won the detailed design contract for the new Mountain Highway exchange.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/50-million-traffic-fix-planned-for-mountain-highway-interchange-1.1585866

July 23, 2015, 10:44 p.m.

In other news, our transportation group just won the detailed design contract for the new Mountain Highway exchange.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/50-million-traffic-fix-planned-for-mountain-highway-interchange-1.1585866

please dear god, let it be nothing like the lonsdale clusterfuck.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 23, 2015, 10:59 p.m.

How does this ease traffic leaving the Shore? I get that it will help move thru the area to the Parkway [HTML_REMOVED] up Mtn Hwy, but isn't the bridge still the big bottleneck?

July 24, 2015, 7:45 a.m.

How does this ease traffic leaving the Shore? I get that it will help move thru the area to the Parkway [HTML_REMOVED] up Mtn Hwy, but isn't the bridge still the big bottleneck?

Even if the bridge was expanded to 100 lanes there would still be gridlock, unless there is also a plan to extend the Cassiar Tunnel, McGill Street/Dundas and the Cut to 100 lanes as well.