Visiting BC in September

Aug. 15, 2011, 1:05 a.m.

Hi from switzerland,

my girlfriend and me are going to visit BC during the last 3 weeks of September with an rental RV.
We plan to ride both park and trails, but we prefer going down than up. I personally prefer flowy singletrails but also like riding in the park.

Apart from riding Whistler , we also plan to visit other spots. Don't know what parks still have open except Silverstart and Mt. Washington during the weekend.

On our list is already.
- Whistler
- Silver Star
- maybe Mt. Washington
- the area around Kamloops
- north vancouver

Altogether we have almost 3 weeks time. Hints and tips to easy our planning are welcome…

Thanks
Jan [HTML_REMOVED] Lisa

Aug. 15, 2011, 2:31 a.m.

Don't miss Squamish and Pemberton when you are in the area.

Aug. 15, 2011, 10 a.m.

If you come to Vancouver Island (for Mt. Washington), there is tons of great riding. Cumberland by Mt. Wash is fantastic, and there are many stops heading south for as well. You could work your way down, ending up in Sooke and Victoria area, then get the Swartz Bay ferry back to Vancouver. Just ask if you want more info!

Aug. 15, 2011, 11:54 a.m.

I would suggest skipping the Island and Mount Washington. Mount Washington is fun, and the riding near Mount Washington is spectacular but you can find a similar experience with less time traveling sticking to the mainland. In addition you would need to arrive a little earlier to get to both parks as they are only open on the weekends. With out knowing your exact arrival and departure dates I would suggest:

Sept 11 - arrive collect RV try and adjust to the time change
Sept 12 - Build bikes shuttle Mount Seymour Visit a local bike shop and pick up the locals guide to the North shore
Sept 13 - Ride Fromme - explore Vancouver during the evening
Sept 14 - Shuttle Cypress then drive to Kelowna
Sept 15 - Kelowna - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around
Sept 16 - Kelowna - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around - visit some vineyards
Sept 17 - Silverstar
Sept 18 - Silverstar
Sept 19 - Kamloops (Harper) - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around
Sept 20 - Transfer to Pemberton/Rest - drive through Lillooet
Sept 21 - Pemberton - might be a good idea to hire a guide - this is a difficult shuttle for an RV.
Sept 22 - Whistler Bike Park
Sept 23 - Whistler Bike Park
Sept 24- Whistler Valley Trails
Sept 25 - Whistler Valley Trails
Sept 26 - Rest - go zip lining or other tourist things
Sept 27 - Squamish - stop at a local bike shop and pick up a map
Sept 28 - Sunshine Coast - stop at a local bike shop and pick up a map
Sept 29 - Flex day - insert this day somewhere else during the trip to extend your stay
Sept 30 - Pack - return the RV flight home.

Aug. 15, 2011, 3:23 p.m.

Wow. Thanks a lot!! I'm very impressed. That's definitely a great input to our trip planning.

Aug. 15, 2011, 3:36 p.m.

I would suggest skipping the Island and Mount Washington. Mount Washington is fun, and the riding near Mount Washington is spectacular but you can find a similar experience with less time traveling sticking to the mainland. In addition you would need to arrive a little earlier to get to both parks as they are only open on the weekends. With out knowing your exact arrival and departure dates I would suggest:

If you do want to visit the Island - which would take a full week of your trip - contact Martin at Island Mountain Rides - he's a great guy and a great guide.

http://islandmountainrides.com/

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 15, 2011, 4:13 p.m.

If you feel so inclined the southern interior around Nelson, Rossland and Castlegar has some fantastic DH'ing and all-mountain riding. Its about a 7-8 hr. drive from the coast but well worth it. I would be happy to show you around if you are interested.

Aug. 15, 2011, 4:17 p.m.

Sept 11 - arrive collect RV try and adjust to the time change
Sept 12 - Build bikes shuttle Mount Seymour Visit a local bike shop and pick up the locals guide to the North shore
Sept 13 - Ride Fromme - explore Vancouver during the evening
Sept 14 - Shuttle Cypress then drive to Kelowna
Sept 15 - Kelowna - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around
Sept 16 - Kelowna - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around - visit some vineyards
Sept 17 - Silverstar
Sept 18 - Silverstar
Sept 19 - Kamloops (Harper) - Hire Bush Pilot Biking to show you around
Sept 20 - Transfer to Pemberton/Rest - drive through Lillooet
Sept 21 - Pemberton - might be a good idea to hire a guide - this is a difficult shuttle for an RV.
Sept 22 - Whistler Bike Park
Sept 23 - Whistler Bike Park
Sept 24- Whistler Valley Trails
Sept 25 - Whistler Valley Trails
Sept 26 - Rest - go zip lining or other tourist things
Sept 27 - Squamish - stop at a local bike shop and pick up a map
Sept 28 - Sunshine Coast - stop at a local bike shop and pick up a map
Sept 29 - Flex day - insert this day somewhere else during the trip to extend your stay
Sept 30 - Pack - return the RV flight home.

I'm tired just thinking about all that riding but sounds like a good plan.

Aug. 15, 2011, 4:28 p.m.

I thank you Mr. Duck for planning next years vacay for me.

Aug. 17, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

Only one day in Squamish, Ducati?
Pretty hard to beat the trail riding in Squamish. I'd recommend more than one day, but I could be biased.

Aug. 17, 2011, 12:57 p.m.

Pretty hard to beat the trail riding in Squamish. I'd recommend more than one day, but I could be biased.

If they could get there on a weekend then I would have suggested more than one day. Squamish riding is great, but mid week with one RV for shuttling and at the end of an exhausting trip presents some challenges. One is either pedaling, doing odd man out laps, or you need to be lucky and find a local to shuttle with. If they can arrange a local for a couple of days and they have the energy then there is the flex day to accommodate for more time in the area.

Alternatively they could skip the zip lining/tourist stuff, but I imagine that they'll need a rest day at that point.

Aug. 17, 2011, 2:25 p.m.

I would suggest skipping the Island and Mount Washington. Mount Washington is fun, and the riding near Mount Washington is spectacular but you can find a similar experience with less time traveling sticking to the mainland. In addition you would need to arrive a little earlier to get to both parks as they are only open on the weekends.

Skip the island at your peril, there is some incredible riding here. But it is painful to the island.

Also, Mt Washington is open from 10am to 730pm all week, it's not just open on weekends. Unfortunately this year the mountain will be closed as of 5 Sep.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 17, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

Squamish is amazing if you are into pedalling. If you like Shuttling and gravity as a focus, then you miss out on the best that Squish has to offer.

Aug. 19, 2011, 8:33 a.m.

You need two days in Squampton. One day XC / AM, one day shuttling. Minimum.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Sept. 8, 2011, 6:41 a.m.

You need two days in Squampton. One day XC / AM, one day shuttling. Minimum.

Did not find Squampton on Google Maps. Where is that located?

A qustion, in teh "You like this" film you can see a trail above Squamish (with Squamish and the water in the background.) Does anyone know which trail that is?

BTW: on saturday we fly over….