Sun Peaks or Silver Star

March 27, 2011, 7:39 p.m.

Hey,

I'm thinking about planning a trip this summer for a long weekend to either SunPeaks Resort or Silver Star Resort. Has anyone been to both?
Which one has a better bike park for intermediate - advanced riders looking for technical trails and good jumping trails?

Thanks!

March 27, 2011, 8:01 p.m.

Hi, I have ridden both a couple of times.

Sun Peaks is definitely steeper and more technical, whereas SS has some technical and steep stuff, but is generally more mellow with longer intermediate level jump trails with incredible berms that seam to go on for ever. If you lean toward the more intermediate level, then I would suggest SS over SP

If you are only going for one day you will have a blast at either. If you are going to the area for more than a few days you should really try both, you wont be disappointed.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

March 27, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

I like Sun Peaks better, most trails are man made and never busy. SvS gets really busy during long weekends, to me it's not really mtn biking but more like downhill bmxing. I must say most people seems to like Silverstar better but i dont get it

March 28, 2011, 12:19 a.m.

silverstar undoubtedly if you really like jump.

go to sunpeaks if you really like dust and punched out trails.

i've been to both and silverstar is my choice. JF is right though. not overly technical, but tons of fun if you like berms and jumps. you must try pro star!

March 28, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

Agreed with above comments - silver star has a little more all around variety and a good selection of intermediate jump trails. Pipe dream is amazing, right up there with dirt merchant.

But if you are looking for real pinned techy downhill with a ton of trails sunpeaks is the place to be.

March 28, 2011, 5:52 p.m.

bermstar is good if you only like to ride burms

sun peaks has good variety and super rad downhill trails.

if you want chachi kelownifornia bros and slow burms go to silverstar

sun speaks is superior

but seriously, they are both super fun and you won't have a bad time. deff ride both if you're in the area

March 28, 2011, 7 p.m.

Do both.

In one four day weekend you can ride two days at both and you'll get your fill.

They both have a different style both lots of fun. Two days at either is just enough to explore all the trails and still knock out enough laps of your favs to get your fill.

March 29, 2011, 6:45 a.m.

sun speaks is superior

but seriously, they are both super fun and you won't have a bad time. deff ride both if you're in the area

Slow burms? Just a hunch, but I think it may be your lack of abilities slowing you down, not the amazing Star berms.

March 29, 2011, 8:02 a.m.

Slow burms? Just a hunch, but I think it may be your lack of abilities slowing you down, not the amazing Star berms.

:lol:

Silver Star for fast fun flowy airtime trails with a few rough haggard natural options. Better for intermediate riders or folks less used to bike park vertical, imo, some great "blue" options. The bermy fast trails are as good as anything at Whistler imo (ooh controversy). Less amenities on the hill but do-able. Can get busy at the lifts but never seems too busy on the trails these days.

Sun Peaks for fast rough haggard steep super gnarly trails with a couple of fun flowy bermy airtime trails, plus a couple of long freeride stunty intermediate trails. Lots of options to connect trails if you hook up with a local to show you some diversity. Some of the best pure DH I've ever ridden. Quiet and laid back vibe. Great amenities on the hill, hotel/bar/pizza etc

Try both, the drive between them is reasonable and you'll get the best of both worlds….. a few days at each….makes sense given what you describe it seems like you'd enjoy both, and they are significantly different animals.

March 29, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

silverstar is flat and slow relative to other bike parks.

also it is burm overkill, tons of them are poopy and they become more of a task than anything over several days.

you can't deny it

that being said, both are amazing mountains and both warrant several days each.

warm up at silverstar; business time at sunpeaks

March 29, 2011, 10:12 a.m.

Other way around. Charge Sunpeaks when you are fresh then get lazy at Silverstar.

March 29, 2011, 10:52 a.m.

Just going to throw it out there to stir up some controversy. Pipe dreams redeems Silver Star as a destination for jump trails, rock star is an intermediate level trail at best.

March 29, 2011, 11:45 a.m.

Other way around. Charge Sunpeaks when you are fresh then get lazy at Silverstar.

Agreed, you'll have more fun hitting Sun Peaks first.

March 29, 2011, 9:05 p.m.

sun speaks is superior

Ha ha ha!! That's so true!

March 29, 2011, 9:14 p.m.

silverstar is flat and slow relative to other bike parks.

also it is burm overkill, tons of them are poopy and they become more of a task than anything over several days.

you can't deny it

that being said, both are amazing mountains and both warrant several days each.

Really? I agree there are some "flat and slow" trails at Silverstar if you want, but there's also some sick technical stuff for more advanced riders. I could lap "Flow" all day, for example.

Whenever I've been to SunPeaks, I always find that the trails have some fantastic short gnarly sections, interspersed with long straightaways through and across cow fields. Nothing really "connects" as it were, but maybe I just need to know the mountain better.