Sun Peaks!!!

July 1, 2013, 12:35 a.m.

Yup…by NATURES design, that Mtn is biased to the intermediate+ user.

I too thought it strange that any trail would be closed right now. The snow has been gone for a while. Lack of prep hrs or attention to drainage perhaps???

July 1, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

I too thought it strange that any trail would be closed right now. The snow has been gone for a while. Lack of prep hrs or attention to drainage perhaps???

Drainage problems don't seem to be a huge concern. Water running down the end of Smitty Steeps/Insanity One.

Mountain is still super fun right now though.

July 1, 2013, 9:32 p.m.

Actually the snow lasted a long time this spring. a record snowpack and cold spring time temperatures made sure of that. it also rained almost every day until a week ago.
then add a lot of bugkill and you have a lot of closed trails.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight D. Eisenhower "The Chance for Peace" 1953

July 2, 2013, 8:35 a.m.

Spent the weekend in Sun Peaks and thought it was pretty awesome, I loved the steep trails :) I guess all the rain they got just before the weekend (and on Saturday morning) kept the trails somewhat tacky too.

Interesting take on the lifts… good in theory but yeah, if you just missed the end you found yourself just waiting around at the bottom, though I guess it is still a shorter wait than a busy day on Whistler!

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

July 2, 2013, 5:21 p.m.

Perhaps prep work went into the course for the Canada Cup. Still kind of a bummer to see Sweet One closed when just a single dude could have that open in a day. Not that we rode it or anything cuz that's against the Alpine Responsibility Code. :evil:

More Sugars and Sweet Ones and Arm Pumps and Holy Rollers would be awesome.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 2, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

The Canada course cup IS riding sweet, so yeah. Honestly I love the mountain for myself, but its not a place I would take the fam too again.
Standing in the lift line it seems like biking back ten years ago - nothing but dudes. Go to Silver star and there's girls, kids, you name it.

July 2, 2013, 6:22 p.m.

The Canada course cup IS riding sweet, so yeah. Honestly I love the mountain for myself, but its not a place I would take the fam too again.
Standing in the lift line it seems like biking back ten years ago - nothing but dudes. Go to Silver star and there's girls, kids, you name it.

LOL you evidently were not standing in the lift line at the same time as I was… plenty of us chicks out riding Sun Peaks this weekend.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

July 2, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Your timing was just a wee bit off. The crew I was with on Monday had 3 women riding in it and there was a ton of others. :)

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

July 3, 2013, 1:41 a.m.

Ya, about the women DH bikers…the percentage is WAY HIGH compared to yrs ago

July 3, 2013, 2:27 a.m.

btw…is there anything cuter than fuzzy husky puppies or bear cubs? Mom and a pair of cubs right under the lift today, the cubs wrestling around in the grass without a care in the world. Unless you get out there, Tod Mtn or elsewhere…YOU WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE THAT!

July 3, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

Sun Peaks is still the same rough, gnarly, techy mountain it always has been, and always will be. It gets a lot of shit talk because of it. If you want the same smooth(ish) trails, go to Silver Star the land of the crappy berms.
In regards to the bike tray setup, I was pissed when I first got to the line and had to wait 5+ mins for a bike tray to arrive… it was long enough to fill a comment card out about it. But when you time it right, it is nice to just get on the lift and not have to wait 4 bubbles. They still have the same amount of bike trays they just spaced them differently.
I like what they did in the open section of Arm Pump, the new jumps are nice. Whatever they did to the creek gap and just after was horrible, just straight line those shitty corners. I am sure after the race that there will be a nice straight line through there. DH will be completely ass fucked after the race too, hopefully they put some of the budget dollars back into it post race.
I anxiously await the re-opening of Sugar and Sweet One, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.
Have fun getting gnarly!

July 3, 2013, 12:23 p.m.

I filled out a comment card to let Sun peaks know that I was not happy with the lift situation. I probably wont be back until Sugar/Sweet one opens up again though.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 8, 2013, 10:39 a.m.

Well I may yet have to eat my words, lots of work done in the last week to their green run to make it like crank it up or superstar.

Also DH was rad.

July 8, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

The chair situation was unfortunate, but not enough for me to worry about. They have a finite number of chairs so it doesn't matter where they go on the cable.

Trail wise, Sun Peaks needs a 5 year trail management program, and I would start that program with closing many of the older trails that were built poorly, and addressing well known danger spots in blind and high speed zones on the remaining trails. Somewhere along the line, they also need to evaluate the cost of maintaining some popular but older trails vs. building new, sustainable and low maintenance trails. This shouldn't be a revelation; many people comment to the same effect.

July 8, 2013, 1:38 p.m.

I find the actual problem with the rack configuration to be that it drops all the riders at the top too close together…it takes away the interval start times of a spaced out lift