Sun Peaks!!!

July 16, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

I finished day 10 on sat,had to get out of there for the race .Its always sad leaving .heading up there with a couple of bikes want to check some of the xc,and pump track out too.So life is good at the peaks.Its a good place to escape the crank works mayhem.
I like that you can leave things unlocked up there ,also some really nice lakes in the area.Gonna grab fishing gear.
Those mosquitoes are pretty aggressive.Nobody hitting the left line in the flow zone park ?They should be opening some more trails soon .

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

July 19, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

Oh my me and a buddy just hiked gnarcroft that trail is serious by far the most ridiculous rectal puckering I've ever encountered.buit by brad stuart,already messed with a guys spine.trail is featured in strwngth in numbers rode by aggy.i had weird gap jump dreams after i seen it. it is in my mind like a worm just knowing is making me want to use the toliet.

July 19, 2012, 11:06 p.m.

There was a dirt jam at the pumptrack tonight bbq fun times i ran into justin terweil.,met the trail crew,poaching hot tubs,day 13 on the hill. Burned through a pair of avid juicy pads in seven days.no line ups this place you can leave stuff around,unlocked no worries.super friendly locals here. just have to look hard for free camping.

July 21, 2012, 7:41 p.m.

just have to look hard for free camping.

That Lot 4 campsite was 10 bucks a night on opening weekend. I returned on Tuesday and saw the sign had been changed to $20 per night.

It seemed a little steep for a gravel strip with no fires permitted, but my group paid it the first night. The second night the attendant told us he had screwed up and it was actually $20 dollars per vehicle and wanted $40 for our second night. I argued that the sign at the front of the area said "RV Park $20/Night Select Site Attendant will collect fee" and he replied with "Yeah, but the rules keep changing and I have to enforce them. We couldn't find legal overnight parking that we were comfortable with on such short notice and had to cough up two twenties to keep our vehicles in the empty lot.

If the rules had been presented to me before I unpacked I would have gone to a different campsite. At that rate I'm better off risking tickets to drive four people with an N (meaning I can only legally drive one person) or trying to convince a hotel to rent a room to a group of 18 year olds.

The following night my riding group and I stayed in the Silver Star camping area. It was refreshing to see all the rules and fees clearly stated at the front of the lot. The caretaker came around in the evening and undercharged us, made sure we were knew where the facilities were and lent us his personal bathroom key because he had run out. The 10 dollar area that doesn't provide electricity (the $25 area does) isn't split up and contains common fire pits. This means all the campers get pretty friendly. We ended up sitting around the campfire and chatting with our Swiss neighbor late into the night. All of us rode a lap together the next day too.

My buddies and I needed a place to sleep after we rode our bikes, not need huge areas of land cordoned off from the other riders or hikers. Because the campsite at Silver Star catered to these needs, it made for a much better camping experience. Please make some changes and in order to provide the same experience Sun Peaks.

Aug. 2, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

Has anybody on here been down Altitude and Big Rock Ride yet? They look kind of intriguing… I'm heading up tomorrow and am wondering if I should bring my AM bike with me and swap over to it for a last mega-run of the day!

How long are the trails time and distance-wise? Is it just one option or are there options once you're up there?

Aug. 5, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

Well how was it Rev you venture to altitude,and Big Rock? I brought The hardtail up and rolled some trails that where black and kind of flatter more traverse style. I know the whole east side network is fun on a small all mountain rig .I really like Rootdog,and Route 66 with 145 mm of front travel.The green runs are a waste of time high speed flat turns no berms. Im bringing one next time . There is a fun Pumptrack in lot 5 nice to hit in the evening when ts not too hot.

Aug. 7, 2012, 10:08 a.m.

Well, Big Rock Ride has got potential but I have to say that we were a little disappointed. Basically, it's just way too little trail before it dumps you onto an access road descent back to the village. All the while you're thinking "a singletrack trail 30m to the left of this road could be sweet!".

The Good: Nice views from the top, potential to jump in the reservoir for a swim, some short but nice singletrack lines.

The Funny: Dealing with a large herd of cows meant we had to go slower than we would have liked on a couple of sections

The Bad: 25 minutes of boring road descent on a 50 minute loop. Also it was pretty hard to find out any info on the trail. One of the guest services folks said it would take about 2hrs and that it was "technical cross country". Lifties didn't know anything about it but directed me to a patroller. They didn't know much about it but made a phone call to someone else for me. So it's a little off the radar, even for the staff…

All that said, if they wanted to make it into something cool, it seems like they've got opportunity. The road descent was gentle and seemed conducive to building a ripping singletrack right next to it.

Aug. 7, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

That Lot 4 campsite was 10 bucks a night on opening weekend. I returned on Tuesday and saw the sign had been changed to $20 per night.

It seemed a little steep for a gravel strip with no fires permitted, but my group paid it the first night. The second night the attendant told us he had screwed up and it was actually $20 dollars per vehicle and wanted $40 for our second night. I argued that the sign at the front of the area said "RV Park $20/Night Select Site Attendant will collect fee" and he replied with "Yeah, but the rules keep changing and I have to enforce them. We couldn't find legal overnight parking that we were comfortable with on such short notice and had to cough up two twenties to keep our vehicles in the empty lot.

If the rules had been presented to me before I unpacked I would have gone to a different campsite. At that rate I'm better off risking tickets to drive four people with an N (meaning I can only legally drive one person) or trying to convince a hotel to rent a room to a group of 18 year olds.

The following night my riding group and I stayed in the Silver Star camping area. It was refreshing to see all the rules and fees clearly stated at the front of the lot. The caretaker came around in the evening and undercharged us, made sure we were knew where the facilities were and lent us his personal bathroom key because he had run out. The 10 dollar area that doesn't provide electricity (the $25 area does) isn't split up and contains common fire pits. This means all the campers get pretty friendly. We ended up sitting around the campfire and chatting with our Swiss neighbor late into the night. All of us rode a lap together the next day too.

My buddies and I needed a place to sleep after we rode our bikes, not need huge areas of land cordoned off from the other riders or hikers. Because the campsite at Silver Star catered to these needs, it made for a much better camping experience. Please make some changes and in order to provide the same experience Sun Peaks.

Well Silver star gives u access to the shower and bath rooms with that 10/night fee, and has out houses.
For 25 you get RV hook ups at SS. With i think is at least power. They also have picnick tables and fire pits. And security. Does sunpeaks offer any of this, for twice as much?
Even if they had all of the SS perks, twice as much? Cmon. Gouge gouge gouge.

WTF, Over?

Aug. 29, 2012, 8:43 p.m.

I ended up with 29 days 220 runs . For a non local and i was injured for 2.5 weeks.i will miss this place hit the jumps that Brad Stuart built the expert lines on right and left 67 times.
Guinea pigged in my first time casing the right iine first ever atempt 50/50ed that never happened again free concerts
Ended up getting another 30 days in whistler .Not a bad summmer seriously going through riding withdrawls have not rode in 2 months that damb knee being old sux.

April 11, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

Hmmm, just planning some summer trips and was after some info about Sun Peaks in particular the XC trails that go out to mount morrisey and the lake. I rode these 6 or 7 years ago (I think) does any one know if they are still sanctioned / maintained etc.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

June 25, 2013, 12:28 a.m.

EDIT: Full load :)

July 2nd, that's next Tuesday…free transportation to/from Sun Peaks for Twoonie Day

I'm goin' anyways…so who needs a lift? I'll have room for a couple/few more.

Accepting all applicants…but ideally, I hope a viewer or two might nominate some riders they know are of lesser means or opportunity to experience a Sun Peaks Day.

I'll even cover the Food Bank donation aspect to the Event…grabbin' a couple flats at least from Costco…

June 29, 2013, 11:01 p.m.

Killer afternoon at the Peaks!!!

Just do it :beer:

June 30, 2013, 7:07 a.m.

Killer afternoon at the Peaks!!!

Just do it :beer:

Yup,mountains in great shape,wee bit of mud here and there.Its supposed to be smoking hot today,so should dry out nicely.I like what they did with the meadow section on Arm Pump,that's going to be awesome when it dries out.Whatever they did with lift sucks:crazy:

June 30, 2013, 8:35 a.m.

Ya, they must have anticipated more hikers than bikers or something to have so few bike racks on the line

June 30, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

^Talked to a lifty about that, they space them out so while bikers are loading at the bottom they are unloading at the top. Then they speed the lifts up when bikers are in between. In principal that should work, but you also get some random hikers having to RUN to get off the lifts in time.

Went up this weekend for a family trip, with a novice and a novice-intermediate rider. It was a pretty disappointing experience. The green run smooth smoothie had some machine work done for a new section, and down in DH there was a lot of new and improved berms and features for the Canada cup. Aside from that seemed like everything was beat up, and closed. Half the right side of the mountain wasn't open, which takes away some of the only "blue" runs on the mountain. There is a green run, that branches into two runs at some points, which is a start but there isn't much beyond that for the learners. Even that run funnels onto the same piece of shit shale run in the middle of steam shovel.

In summary I was really let down - if you are a downhill shredder this mountain has lots to offer, if you want to take your family of mixed skill up to have a fun weekend forget it. The mountain just doesn't have enough variety, and enough CONSISTENTLY beginner and intermediate runs to make it work their while.