RIP 604 pump track

April 14, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

RIP 604-pump track
Super fun, in great shape,
built by dirtwest (in only two minutes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Kdx8uC9SM

We went there yesterday to check it out-and it had been bulldozed flat.
Here's my kid ready to cue the sad song: "This Used to Be My Playground"

It was safe, fun, smooth, no nuisance (garbage/fires) and those dudes put in a lot of work. Not really a useable lot for development (no real street access). Sad to see it go.

Invergarry nearby was still fun.

April 14, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

Sad end to 604. Your boy's face says it all, that life isn't fair sometimes.

That said, Invergarry used to be a great place to take the wee ones. Hit it up yesterday, and it really grew over the winter. I used to be able to hit 80% of the dh trail, with my son following up and over all the tables. Yesterday I rode past the new builds wondering where the fuck the non-daredevils can get their kicks these days.

April 14, 2014, 2:30 p.m.

Invergarry used to be a great place to take the wee ones.

Yes, shovel buster is giant now.

According to sorce, "Alpine will begin Run bike line, green [HTML_REMOVED] Blue jump lines construction in mid-late April 2014"

Not sure what a "run bike line" is but sounds like it's for the wee ones.

April 14, 2014, 3:52 p.m.

Sad end to 604. Your boy's face says it all, that life isn't fair sometimes.

That said, Invergarry used to be a great place to take the wee ones. Hit it up yesterday, and it really grew over the winter. I used to be able to hit 80% of the dh trail, with my son following up and over all the tables. Yesterday I rode past the new builds wondering where the fuck the non-daredevils can get their kicks these days.

try the shore.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 14, 2014, 8:12 p.m.

We received word from the City of Surrey that the 604 is about to be "renaturalized" by the developer of the townhouses next door. It was fun while it lasted folks, but it looks like the end of that unofficial riding spot…. Enjoy this video of it turning one year old from way back in February of 2012

http://dirtwest.blogspot.ca/2014/04/604.html

bummer

April 20, 2014, 9:31 p.m.

try the shore.

Hahahahahahaha that's awesome.

April 20, 2014, 9:41 p.m.

Hahahahahahaha that's awesome.

You should rebuild it with your creatine pecs and that new chainsaw.

Pastor of Muppets

May 4, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

I dug and rode there in 2012,used to spend lots of endless hours there .
I thought it was a hoax it is gone.Parking was bad there residents did not like old vehicles ,that leaked oil.
One time this lady came out from the NE newer condos near the free way and asked what im doing this is dangerous for the kids 10 $ says it was her that got it shut down.
I was not rude i said this is great for kids to develop skill and exercise.
We would have timed races on the biggest lungbuster of a track.
Has inspired me to build my own just not sure about making it all con cave and how to design .

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

May 5, 2014, 2:51 p.m.

I know this doesn't help the Surrey folks, but Jay Hoots is currently building a new pump track and DJ facility at Garden City Park right at Garden City and Granville. Pretty good that a muni is supporting such a centrally located and highly visible location. Oh yeah, and paying for it….

Check it out… pretty big commitment: http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/Bike_Terrain_Park_-_Openhouse_Boards35392.pdf