Official Mt Washington thread

July 16, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

Got some laps in today, lots of fun!

Aug. 5, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

Rode Washington on weds. Super fun, nice to have lift access again on the island.

Trails weren't as rough as I remembered, and the trail crew were actively building another jump trail.

Aug. 6, 2016, 7:06 p.m.

Was up there today in the awful weather. Still had fun. Trails are great and there was zero line. Props to the trail crew!

Sept. 1, 2016, 9:08 p.m.

Heading to cumberland from squamish for the long weekend.

Is it worth taking my 8 year old to the Mt washington bike park. He can send jumps, and rips on technical trails (loves crank it up, and lower a-line). What's the park like for groms? He can't gap jump.

Thoughts?

Sept. 3, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

Have not been on the boards much lately, but this is good news. Looking forward to riding there if I make another trip to the island.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 3, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

Disregard - information request.
Rode the park today with the little man. They have one hell of a trail crew, and it is an amazing park.
Will probably hit it every time I come to Cumberland to visit family. You can tell it is in growth faze, but the future looks unbelievable. Reminds me of early years at Silver Star.

Sept. 24, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

Got my last laps for the season in today. Had an awesome time.

Sept. 24, 2016, 9:27 p.m.

I got my last laps in today too. It was pretty awesome. I am definitely excited for next year.

total scam. he put food before beer.

Sept. 29, 2016, 8:20 a.m.

Mt. Washington kicks ass. I'll be heading over there this year to snag a few days of skiing in, just with island friends and such. I am super stoked about their bike park, which I think is going to be a major project ahead for their spring and summertime activities. I think Comox/Cumberland/Courtenay and surrounding areas are delightful. I like the fact it's not overrun with slack jaw boutique tourists and "in the scene" hipster yuppie dad-beard fucktards. It's got great terrain - hell, we were sessioning the mine shaft backside in the late 80s, early 90s and getting shuttled back up from the access road out. Those were the days. It was a "real" place to be. I'm still contemplating buying a house there (a "chalet") and calling in "home no.1" and buying another down south as "home no.2". It's removed, not as accessible, more serene, quieter even though its undergone tremendous development, yes, it still has "charm".

Mt. Washington is awesome.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 19, 2023, 11:15 a.m.

Topic kick....

Sneak peek this weekend, official opening June 30th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTRNC8gfpUQ

TRAIL NEWS

Completed Bike Park Upgrades You Can Look Forward To:

• Greenline: Updated entrance, and exit to lift for beginners
  • Highway 19: Two new wall rides and upgraded berms
  • Back in Black: New wall ride and other improvements
  • Monster Mile: Improved loam section
  • NEW Skills Centre
  • Bike carriers added to Hawk Chair for quicker load times

Future Bike Park Upgrades Happening Throughout Summer 2023:

• Bearclaw Hustler Project: Darren Berrecloth will be giving the entrance and middle section of Hustler a slick makeover - stay tuned for more details!
  • NEW black diamond trail added off the top of Eagle Chair - Vista Del Mar to Whistle Pig: Utilizing sections of old single track and new lines shaped by our trail crew, riders will descend onto unparalleled views of the Salish Sea.
  • Lower Time Warp: New improved exit
  • Further expansions to The Skills Centre

Source: https://www.mountwashington.ca/bike/bike-park-season-pass.html

Last edited by: [email protected] on June 19, 2023, 12:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 19, 2023, 2:33 p.m.

"NEW black diamond trail added off the top of Eagle Chair"

That's awesome they're doing some trails off that slope again. Around 2006-ish (I think), that area had some of my favorite trails on the mountain, but they were steep and difficult to maintain, so they only lasted a couple seasons. Definitely great views, it's a steep traverse that basically opens the view straight out to the ocean.

June 19, 2023, 2:59 p.m.

Yes that caught my eye as well. I'm not really into jump trails so more singletrack is good news.

June 25, 2023, 6:07 p.m.

I went up this afternoon for the sneak peek and did 6 laps. Not much open yet but it was nice weather and not busy. Laps on the only tech trail open (Helter Skelter) were good fun. Flow trails were so-so, pretty rough in places. Looking forward to more trails opening up and curious about that new black singletrack off Eagle Chair.

Nice to have some lift access 35 minutes from my door!

Last edited by: [email protected] on June 25, 2023, 6:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 26, 2023, 1:45 p.m.

Early-season Washington is always a bit limited. It's mid-July, early August that you usually get to see the fruits of the new developments and maintenance goodies.

July 14, 2023, 3:24 p.m.

Slowly more trails are opening and some work is being done to the blown out trails. I'm starting to know and enjoy the mountain. Still pretty rough conditions overall, the key seems to be to dial things back and ride the trails at 70% or so, let the bike do its work and go after flow rather than speed. That way my body can handle enough laps to make it worth the drive up.

So far it's been super quiet every time I've gone, I like it but I wonder if they actually make any money.