Official Mt Washington thread

Nov. 3, 2015, 2:35 p.m.

Sweet! Seriously crossing my fingers for a bike park of any kind.

Nov. 5, 2015, 11:23 p.m.

I really hope they can figure out how to get the summer business going. It's a challenging spot as for many of us on the island as its far enough away that heading to Squamish, Vancouver etc. can be a better option. And pretty rocky terrain up top. I wonder what the backside is like in the summer. The season is also shortened by marmot breeding season, which can kill an early start to bikey season. The changes to Whistler since I lived there have been amazing, way beyond what I think anyone thought was possible back then. I can only hope that Mt. Wash can cash in on summer in a similar (but more islandy) way.

Nov. 19, 2015, 11:42 a.m.

Things are sounding promising for a new bike park. ?

Nov. 19, 2015, noon

I really hope they can figure out how to get the summer business going. It's a challenging spot as for many of us on the island as its far enough away that heading to Squamish, Vancouver etc. can be a better option. And pretty rocky terrain up top. I wonder what the backside is like in the summer. The season is also shortened by marmot breeding season, which can kill an early start to bikey season. The changes to Whistler since I lived there have been amazing, way beyond what I think anyone thought was possible back then. I can only hope that Mt. Wash can cash in on summer in a similar (but more islandy) way.

I was there once in 2009, and really enjoyed it. Smaller and a little more laid-back than Whistler, I would definitely head back, if given the chance.

How big is the actual area that could be developped, compared to what was there in 2009? I remember that I thought that there was quite a lot of potential.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 19, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

I was there once in 2009, and really enjoyed it. Smaller and a little more laid-back than Whistler, I would definitely head back, if given the chance.

How big is the actual area that could be developped, compared to what was there in 2009? I remember that I thought that there was quite a lot of potential.

I don't know any of the specifics any more, but Mt. Wash is limited in what it can do as I believe that most of (or all?) of the hill is within Strathcona Park. Not everything you're looking at as part of "the hill" when you're there is up for development. I'm curious about how they'll get the water for snowmaking in that context. The marmot breeding season was limiting as well, on a good snow year it gets spring skiing shut down early, and on bad years it delays early bike park openings. No idea on how they're doing, back when I was into conservation biology they had just released a bunch of captive bred ones, lost a bunch to predators, and brought the survivors back to safety. Maybe when they're finally extinct we can get some sick riding done!

The potential is there I bet, but their upper areas must be really hard building. I remember it being exceptionally rocky, with little soil or fines to work with.

They're always going to contend with a distance problem. The major market is Victoria, and we have a LOT of options in less than the 3-3.5hrs it takes to get to Mt. Wash. When I was a shuttler I would put my efforts into getting a shuttle show going at Prevost or Forbidden or just go to Whis for the weekend or Squamish for the day. I kinda think that if you want the DH money when you're surrounded by shuttleable trails you have to build some really good stuff (Whis) or folks will just do their own thing. The few days I rode there I would question why I wasn't just shuttling better trails for less money.

March 29, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

Hmmm - Mt Wash is on private land which they own. There is additional private land with good terrain adjacent to the resort. I was chatting with someone the other day and there is talk of expanding to the east of the Sunrise Chair - the whole ridge line is private land.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 8, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

Mt Washington bike park re-opening summer 2016

https://twitter.com/MountWashington

:canada: :england:

April 8, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

Cool!

April 8, 2016, 6:01 p.m.

Best news ever! I'm glad the new owners aren't pussy-footing around.

June 16, 2016, 3:49 p.m.

Email from Mt Wash today:

"Flowy, fast and still a little freeride, the response to our Bike Park survey spoke (get it?) loud and clear. We want to thank you for your time filling out the survey, we have heard your comments and will be working hard to fulfill them.

By mid-July we expect to have 4-6 trails open with something for every riding level an type. We will have flowy, technical and cross-country. Crews will be working all-season long to expand.

Below are photos from a Bike Park trail walk from last week. The lower half of the mountain is drying up nicely and crews have been busy shaping Green Line and Back-in-Black. The snow has begun to melt on the upper mountain, things are still wet but has been drying up fast.

Rocky Mountain bikes have been chosen for our rental fleet. The two bikes we will have available are the Maiden Park, a fully carbon DH bike and the Altitude 730, a great bike for our new flowy trails! There is a small repair and rental shop set up in the Alpine Lodge to deal with minor repairs such as flats and brake tuning. For larger repairs we encourage you to support your local bike shop."

viperfunk.com

June 18, 2016, 8:42 a.m.

Email from Mt Wash today:

"Flowy, fast and still a little freeride, the response to our Bike Park survey spoke (get it?) loud and clear. We want to thank you for your time filling out the survey, we have heard your comments and will be working hard to fulfill them.

By mid-July we expect to have 4-6 trails open with something for every riding level an type. We will have flowy, technical and cross-country. Crews will be working all-season long to expand.

Below are photos from a Bike Park trail walk from last week. The lower half of the mountain is drying up nicely and crews have been busy shaping Green Line and Back-in-Black. The snow has begun to melt on the upper mountain, things are still wet but has been drying up fast.

Rocky Mountain bikes have been chosen for our rental fleet. The two bikes we will have available are the Maiden Park, a fully carbon DH bike and the Altitude 730, a great bike for our new flowy trails! There is a small repair and rental shop set up in the Alpine Lodge to deal with minor repairs such as flats and brake tuning. For larger repairs we encourage you to support your local bike shop."

Seasons pass is $250 :rocker:

July 5, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

Officially opens Friday, July 15th. ;)

viperfunk.com

July 6, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

Officially opens Friday, July 15th. ;)

Heading up Saturday!

July 7, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Anyone how many and which trails will be open?

July 8, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

Sounds like about 4 to 6 trails to start. I think they're concentrating on doing a small number of trails properly and as the season goes on, continue to open more trails as they are completed. There is supposed to be an easy beginner trail, an old school more technical trail (Hustler maybe?) and the rest I imagine will be flowy jump trails (Back in Black / Evil Eye I bet).

viperfunk.com