Official Mt Washington thread

May 1, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

Bottom line, they're poor business people if they couldn't figure out how to get this resort to work.

eeeexactly.

Snowboarding? PSSSHHHT it's a fad.

Snowboard Park?!? PSSHHT they're lucky we even allow them on the hill.

Mt biking?!?! PFFFFT. It'll never fly.

Pay for a robust trail crew [HTML_REMOVED] equipment?!?! PSSSSHT. Don't be ridiculous. That costs money.

viperfunk.com

May 1, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

upper management is never wise anywhere

May 1, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

upper management is never wise anywhere

Back to your cubicle employee 52364-C

viperfunk.com

May 1, 2013, 9:50 a.m.

Pay for a robust trail crew [HTML_REMOVED] equipment?!?! PSSSSHT. Don't be ridiculous. That costs money.

Or even supervising. I love all the hidden structures and trails in the trees, while the rest of the trails are punched out messes.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 1, 2013, 11:46 a.m.

Profits: ain't nobody got time for that.

May 1, 2013, 12:50 p.m.

how about a series of those magic carpet style lifts going up forbidden. Just ride onto the carpet and voila.

snicker. Ride on the carpet

viperfunk.com

May 1, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

I made it up a good 6 days last summer for riding, plus a day at the Bearclaw invitational. Planned for even more this year, enough that I was going to get a seasons pass.

Whistler works out to about $190 for a day minimum, that's splitting the ferry and fuel with a friend and packing food/beer. A day at Washington is about $70 after I buy a lift pass and split fuel cost. Very bummed its not going to be an option this season (or ever??)

May 1, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

net loss for the mtb community, who spent more effort criticizing the mountain than supporting it.

We criticized it after management quit listening. When a local volunteer driven trail network thrives while the mountain fails, there is a market for it.

Bottom line, the upper management are not mountain bikers.

bottom line, upper management are business people.

They are really not wise business people.

The term "penny tight but pound poor" always comes to mind when I go there.

For $71 (winter day pass), you would think they could have main washrooms that don't look like they came out of a Super Save gas bar in Cache Creek (and that might be insulting Cache Creek).

I can buy an Edge card and ski Whistler Blackcomb for the same or less all year….and the quality of the experience is 100 x better!

People ask me why I travel the 2.5 hours to Cain…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

May 1, 2013, 3:59 p.m.

Snowboarding? PSSSHHHT it's a fad.

To be fair, Mount Washington was one of the first places to allow boarders (shortly after FP, which was really early to the game).

Mount Washington is just too far away from most people to make it worth driving. Sure there's going to be the hardcores, but to grow the sport they'd need Victorians to come up and try it out. 3-4 hours each way to go to an area with little else to do is a hard sell.

It is a great park, but not great enough to draw people from the mainland in any relevant numbers. I myself went over at least one weekend a year, but only because I was there visiting family. I don't think that any amount of clever management could make that place do much better than break even.

What would probably work out is that old ski mountain that's on the way to Port Alberni. The finances of getting the lift up and running are probably prohibitive, but something closer to the masses would be more likely to succeed, and the Island deserves lift accessed trails.

iforonewelcome.com

May 1, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

What would probably work out is that old ski mountain that's on the way to Port Alberni. The finances of getting the lift up and running are probably prohibitive, but something closer to the masses would be more likely to succeed, and the Island deserves lift accessed trails.

There is no lift left at the old mt arrowsmith ski hill. It was taken out a few years ago when it was cleaned up and turned into regional park.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

May 2, 2013, 9:11 a.m.

To be fair, Mount Washington was one of the first places to allow boarders (shortly after FP, which was really early to the game).

Whoa, that's not true…they were one of the last in BC! That's why snowboarders went to Forbidden Plateau. In fact, JPI and I were one of the first to ride Mt.Wash in about '88 or '89. One day they refused to let us up the chairlift because it was "too windy" for snowboarders. Last ones to get rid of leashes, last ones to build a proper snowboard park…etc, etc. They always refused to ask or let in outside help as that management "always knew best".

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

May 2, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

Whoa, that's not true…they were one of the last in BC! That's why snowboarders went to Forbidden Plateau. In fact, JPI and I were one of the first to ride Mt.Wash in about '88 or '89. One day they refused to let us up the chairlift because it was "too windy" for snowboarders. Last ones to get rid of leashes, last ones to build a proper snowboard park…etc, etc. They always refused to ask or let in outside help as that management "always knew best".

I can't speak to the leashes or the terrain park, but I was riding there in '88 and at the time there weren't a lot of other places I could go (not only because I was stuck on VI). That's about the same time that International Snowboarder was publishing a list of all the places that you could snowboard, there were more in Canada but still not very many. Forbidden Plateau was one of the first in the country if I'm not mistaken.

iforonewelcome.com

May 3, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

You mean you were one of the 5 of us back then? Shit. Did you ride the ghetto halfpipe under the red chair? I don't recall other mountains in BC not allowing snowboards in '88.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

May 3, 2013, 9:51 a.m.

You mean you were one of the 5 of us back then? Shit. Did you ride the ghetto halfpipe under the red chair? I don't recall other mountains in BC not allowing snowboards in '88.

I shoveled that thing by hand. Best. Time. Ever. My 166 Gnu Antigravity was not a pipe board though….as if that mattered back then :)

viperfunk.com

May 3, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

Yep, I was there. We probably rode together. The only other people I remember from back then was a guy named Nick (I think he's a talent manager now) and the right honourable John Turner (though this was before he was instructing there.

To be fair, it was the 88-89 season if memory serves, I was also routinely informed that it was a "trial season" and the mountain may or may not continue to let me ride there. The 'halfpipe' (no offence jpi) didn't show up until a season or two later I think. I remember trying to ride the reservoir like a half-pipe though. A lot of hiking for one hit.

I shoveled that thing by hand. Best. Time. Ever. My 166 Gnu Antigravity was not a pipe board though….as if that mattered back then :)

HOLY SHIT!! Also my first board. black with green squiggle and the single 'Gnu' printed on the bottom, just prior to them going with the mirror-like effect.

Some good times back then. Whatever happened to snowboarding? Did it ever take off or did the kids just give it up when they realized that they couldn't turn or stop?

iforonewelcome.com