Official Mt Washington thread

April 30, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

I'm down for trailwork up there. Let's kick it into overdrive.

Maybe they can donate some unused tools ;)

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 30, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

FYI:

http://www.mountwashington.ca/bike-park-update.html

Mount Washington Alpine Resort will not be operating a mountain bike park for the Summer of 2013. Due to escalating costs which includes things like insurance, fuel and labor as well as a continued flat market the Resort has made the decision that the Bike Park is not a viable operation at this time. Don Sharpe, Director of Business Operations and Marketing states "it is unfortunate that it we have to close the Park but over the last few years we have struggled to create a Bike Park that can grow the business however, the numbers are not there to support the operation". Mile High Scenic Chair Rides along with events such as Tapped (Beer Fest) and the Wine and Food Festival will carry on as they have in the past.

The Resort opens for summer business on June 28 with the Mile High Scenic Chair Ride, bungee trampoline, hiking, Fat Teddy

Hmmm - chicken and egg.

IMO they never really put enough $$ into the park to begin with. Since they didn't put the $$ in, and especially do something like hire the Whistler crew who consult to tweak things, people didn't like to go.

I lost track of the amount of Nanaimo / Duncan / Parksville area people I know who had Whistler bike park season's passes, but couldn't be bothered with Wash. To them, the quality difference between Wash and Whistler was so huge that the extra money to travel and stay in Whistler didn't matter.

Personally, as the park has degraded over the last 4-5 years I went from seasons pass holder to just not going…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 30, 2013, 3:42 p.m.

Kind of like

-When snowboarding became popular and they didn't invest in it.

-They adopted snowboarding 5 years after everyone and never invested in a pipe Dragon.

-They fucked up on Mountain biking as well.

They continually shit the pot every time by being at least half a decade behind every other resort.

I still say NBR should design a tow/lift bikes can clip into and get pulled uphill, and we turn the old forbidden ski hill into a mecca.
NBR unite.

viperfunk.com

April 30, 2013, 4:02 p.m.

Sad news, I made a trip to the island to ride Washington the last 5 summers in a row.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

April 30, 2013, 6:49 p.m.

Kind of like

-When snowboarding became popular and they didn't invest in it.

-They adopted snowboarding 5 years after everyone and never invested in a pipe Dragon.

-They fucked up on Mountain biking as well.

They continually shit the pot every time by being at least half a decade behind every other resort.

I still say NBR should design a tow/lift bikes can clip into and get pulled uphill, and we turn the old forbidden ski hill into a mecca.
NBR unite.

All this despite getting loads of snow every winter.

Thread killer

April 30, 2013, 7:22 p.m.

They ran the park for around 10 years with it being empty most of the time not really surprised. You can't keep saying they should do what whistler does, whistler is so much bigger more people near by etc etc. Always battling tons of snow and really steep rocky terrain doesn't help too

April 30, 2013, 8:10 p.m.

Too be honest, I am surprised it lasted this long. I supported them up until about 3 years ago. Was a seasons pass holder for a few years. Loved Monster mile, hidden alley, scratch and sniff, helter skelter and even the odd bermy jump thing they tried. Back in Black was fun. Too bad it seems they bet the farm on it. Too little too late.
I will always wonder of what could have been. Imagine what advertising and marketing could have done to the islands ONLY lift access bike park. And maybe listening to rider input as well.
A mountain with so much potential
RIP Mt Wash bike park

April 30, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

My take… http://cvmtb.com/index.php/2013/05/mount-washington-bike-park-closes/

April 30, 2013, 11:15 p.m.

Expected and unsurprising. The mtb operations had to be operating at a deficit for years.

May 1, 2013, 12:09 a.m.

Expected and unsurprising. The mtb operations had to be operating at a deficit for years.

2008-2009 there was a big shift… it's been downhill from then.

May 1, 2013, 8:05 a.m.

net loss for the mtb community, who spent more effort criticizing the mountain than supporting it.

May 1, 2013, 8:48 a.m.

net loss for the mtb community, who spent more effort criticizing the mountain than supporting it.

We criticized it after management quit listening. When a local volunteer driven trail network thrives while the mountain fails, there is a market for it.

Bottom line, the upper management are not mountain bikers.

May 1, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

Bottom line, the upper management are not mountain bikers.

bottom line, upper management are business people.

May 1, 2013, 9:22 a.m.

Not very wise business people it would seem.

viperfunk.com

May 1, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

bottom line, upper management are business people.

Bottom line, they're poor business people if they couldn't figure out how to get this resort to work.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.