Official Mt Washington thread

July 11, 2011, 10:17 a.m.

Went for a ride and had a beer with a rider who works at Mt Wash and I have to say I was quite pleasantly surprised to hear that they have a full paid trail crew this year working on maintaining the existing trails.
I got the feeling that there wouldn't be a huge push for new lines, but rather getting the trails they have up to par. I think this is a great idea, gonna have to re-think this pass business… ;)

This is excellent news! New lines would be nice but I think that the existing ones do need some love first.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 11, 2011, 10:35 a.m.

Anyone heading up for opening day?

Loud Hubs Save Lives

July 11, 2011, 12:06 p.m.

Anyone heading up for opening day?

Ba ha ha ha ha - wait a couple of weeks or dress in garbage bags…its gunna be MUDDAY!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 13, 2011, 4:52 p.m.

No discussion about Bearclaw Invitational yet?

http://www.mountwashington.ca/things-to-do/events-calendar/details/287-bearclaw-invitational.html

Snowjumps and Ewok Village style woodwork, or will there be dirt? This rain today is probably making a big dent in the snowbase.

July 16, 2011, 12:28 p.m.

Mount Washington and their 3pm closure of the seasons pass office can suck my balls. I can't get in there now for another couple of weekends, so how am I supposed to be able to ride in the evenings during the week. Dick move Washington, these little things show how little you care.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 16, 2011, 4:57 p.m.

Mount Washington and their 3pm closure of the seasons pass office can suck my balls. I can't get in there now for another couple of weekends, so how am I supposed to be able to ride in the evenings during the week. Dick move Washington, these little things show how little you care.

Get them to mail it to you instead?

July 19, 2011, 10:13 a.m.

Whats happening at Mt Wash? The website shows that no trails are open yet. Work wants to send me to Nanaimhell and I want to make it coincide with a trip to the park.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 20, 2011, 6:51 a.m.

Whats happening at Mt Wash? The website shows that no trails are open yet. Work wants to send me to Nanaimhell and I want to make it coincide with a trip to the park.

Ride Prevost instead… or Forbidden… or do roller-coaster laps… or head out to the candy shop trails… or go to parksville.

July 20, 2011, 8:51 a.m.

http://www.mountwashington.ca/weather/bike-park-report.html

July 23, 2011, 4:22 p.m.

Big Brother and the Green trail are open, as is the trail from the alpine lodge to the bottom of the Hawk chair. It's a re-route through the village and it's pretty shitty. Big Brother is still kinda fun but the berms are punched out quite badly in places, and it has the signature Washington random lips on jumps (some throw you forward, some kick you up, and some don't even exist). The green trail is really easy and needs to have some more little tables or wall rides or something to make it at least reasonably interesting. It's currently the only way to get from the Hawk to the alpine lodge, and parts of it are a muddy disaster.

Wizard is open and is in pretty good shape except for a few muddy patches, I just need to find the testicular fortitude to hit the gap stepdown/drop near the top and then it should flow nicely. Back in Black is also open and seems to be the most buffed of all of the trails. The trail crews today were working on the 4x track, and Bearclaw's course is starting to shape up in the trees.

Evil Eye (one of my favs), Time Warp, Hustler, MMT, etc are all still completely covered in a few feet of snow (more in some places). A lot of the structures are damaged from the snow (including the drops by the bottom of the Hawk and the satellite dish at mid-mountain), so no telling how long those trails will be until they are open. Nothing is running off the Eagle chair right now and it doesn't look like much will be opening soon because of the amount of snow up there. Who knows, this is just from me looking up the mountain from the lodge, the view from the Eagle (running for hikers) might show a more accurate picture of that side of the mountain.

Muddy day at Washboard, but still fun.

July 26, 2011, 9:27 a.m.

From Jeff at Trail Bicycles:

Mt Washington is looking for people to help dig snow of the monster mile so they can race the BC Cup in less than 3 weeks, you will need to give approx 4 hours and you will get an afternoon ticket and a full day ticket to ride. Contact me at the shop for more details.

Contact info here: http://trailbicycles.ca/

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 29, 2011, 2:37 p.m.

anyone know if more trails might be open this weekend? its been fairly warm this week probably melting a bunch of snow.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

July 30, 2011, 10:27 a.m.

anyone know if more trails might be open this weekend? its been fairly warm this week probably melting a bunch of snow.

Their website with trail conditions is pretty accurate, there is still a lot of snow up there in some places. Lots of woodwork has had to be rebuilt, plus they're trying hard to get Monster Mile opened up so I think that's slowing down the opening of other trails.

Aug. 1, 2011, 5:02 p.m.

Interesting bit of news… Apparently current plans are the BC Cup DH will only use part of the Monster Mile, incorporating MMT, the Monster Hawk connector, a couple other bits I can't remember and finishing with the 4 Cross course under the Hawk chair.

I like the idea of the racers coming down the 4 cross course.

Aug. 2, 2011, 7:30 p.m.

What the Shit? Who still has snow on their mountain in August? I was planning to go this coming Saturday but not if half the black runs are buried.