Official Mt Washington thread

July 18, 2012, 8:50 p.m.

Anyone scoped out the conditions in the park? Opening soon.

snowy with a side of mud…and some really steep jumps…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

July 22, 2012, 3:14 p.m.

and some really steep jumps…

yeah i love that place too.

July 23, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

I wonder how long they will try and keep that park going. Seems like it's heading to a slow death.

viperfunk.com

July 23, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

I wonder how long they will try and keep that park going. Seems like it's heading to a slow death.

They just keep getting too much snow. With global warming and such they should be getting
even more in the future. Warmer water and air equals more the moisture the volume of water
can hold. The top of the mountain will be below freezing in the winter for many years to
come, so all that moisture and cold upper mountain temps means tons of snow. They are going
to have a hard time digging out.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 25, 2012, 11:32 a.m.

Unless your "not gonna do it" is riding up there this season. In which case I know better than to argue with you :D

Might do it this year.

Probably not.

July 25, 2012, 11:34 a.m.

Caught a rumor of it not opening next summer as well.

July 25, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

Never liked riding at Mt. Washboard much…

July 28, 2012, 8:20 p.m.

Went up there today, good conditions. Wizard and big brother were fun. Looks like back in black and time warp will be open really soon.

Don't get why everyone is crapping on Washington. Sure it's not the best. But lift riding 1 hr from home I'll take it.

Aug. 1, 2012, 9:05 a.m.

looks like no fun.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/270481/

Aug. 1, 2012, 6 p.m.

I went 2 years ago on closing day and it was a total blast. I really wanted to go again the following year but it seemed they were buried in snow right through August. Once Back in Black is open I'd absolutely go again.

Aug. 1, 2012, 9:37 p.m.

looks like no fun.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/270481/

Man…want.

Aug. 1, 2012, 10:19 p.m.

Looks pretty decent. Just sucks that all the snow can cause late openings for the bike park.

Thread killer

Aug. 2, 2012, 2:15 p.m.

Don't get why everyone is crapping on Washington. Sure it's not the best. But lift riding 1 hr from home I'll take it.

Here's my beef with Mt. Washington - it doesn't really cater very well to the intermediate rider.

All of the gaps are pretty high consequence, and while for 10-15% of the riding population, they are fine, for the rest of us they are just a little too big. The same goes for all of the table tops - they are mostly a little out of the average riders league - and I am an average rider.

This wouldn't be a problem if you were to, say, never ride Whistler or Silverstar. However, for an intermediate rider, a couple of laps on Crank it UP, B-Line, Ninja-Cougar etc and even A-Line followed by a day at Mt Washington and the difference is stunning.

What's most frustrating is that with just a little more investment, Washington could have a couple of stellar intermediate trails- Hustler used to be awesome; Big Brother could use some size reduction on the jumps, MMT could use some re-organization etc. But the reality is the trail system is just so scattered. Big Brother is a Blue trail that ends in a very high consequence jump sequence to step-up gap. I am pretty sure I saw at least two riders spine boarded out of that location last year and in Strahan's video I see it is still there…

It would also be nice if they buffed the trails…you used to be able to ride Hustler on an AM bike - now it is a challenge on a DH rig.

Having said all of that - I haven't ridden there yet this year, so I will re-assess after I go try it - probably next week.

Strahan - you rip - enjoy the park. I will only go once or twice, so I am sure to not get in your way.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 2, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

Here's my beef with Mt. Washington - it doesn't really cater very well to the intermediate rider.

All of the gaps are pretty high consequence, and while for 10-15% of the riding population, they are fine, for the rest of us they are just a little too big. The same goes for all of the table tops - they are mostly a little out of the average riders league - and I am an average rider.

This wouldn't be a problem if you were to, say, never ride Whistler or Silverstar. However, for an intermediate rider, a couple of laps on Crank it UP, B-Line, Ninja-Cougar etc and even A-Line followed by a day at Mt Washington and the difference is stunning.

What's most frustrating is that with just a little more investment, Washington could have a couple of stellar intermediate trails- Hustler used to be awesome; Big Brother could use some size reduction on the jumps, MMT could use some re-organization etc. But the reality is the trail system is just so scattered. Big Brother is a Blue trail that ends in a very high consequence jump sequence to step-up gap. I am pretty sure I saw at least two riders spine boarded out of that location last year and in Strahan's video I see it is still there…

It would also be nice if they buffed the trails…you used to be able to ride Hustler on an AM bike - now it is a challenge on a DH rig.

Having said all of that - I haven't ridden there yet this year, so I will re-assess after I go try it - probably next week.

Strahan - you rip - enjoy the park. I will only go once or twice, so I am sure to not get in your way.

I agree. I would have more fun if the jumps were more consistent on the blue trails. That said I railed lower Helter over and over and over last year and had tons of fun on some smaller gaps and the rooty madness. Wizard was fun as well. No season's pass for me this year though as I don't think I'll get up there very much: I want to spend more time with my little guy.

Not to mention that they buffed the shit out of the blue trails when there were only two weeks left last summer. Understandable that they didn't want to buff things in mid-Jul when the whole mountain was a mudpit, but watching the crews working on "secret" stunts in the trees throughout Aug when almost no work was being done on the rest of the trails was a bit of a pissoff.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 2, 2012, 5:32 p.m.

What's most frustrating is that with just a little more investment, Washington could have a couple of stellar intermediate trails

i can partly agree with that. on the other hand, one needs to acknowledge the economics of providing and maintaining perfectly groomed runs. there are literally km's of really fun intermediate trails there.

a common misconception i've noticed with intermediate riders at bike parks is that they'd like the trail to "deliver" them effortlessly across rather large airs.

in Strahan's video I see it is still there…

not my video, just something that came up on my pinkbike feed. i haven't been up yet unfortunately. what i did notice every trip last year was that the trail crew was out repairing and/or maintaining sections of trail.