Leogang Austria... Anyone been there?

May 23, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

Heading to Europe to go climbing and am making a special trip to the Leogang bike park for a few days. has anyone been there and how does it compare to say whistler or silverstar. Any trails that are a must do (jump trails) or dont waste your time trails. (Me and wifey can ride any level of trail) Any help would be awesome. thanks. Dan.

May 24, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

My thoughts:

It's a small park. One day was more than enough IMHO
There are certainly far less trails than any of the BC parks. Nothing that great with regards to jump trails.
The big stuff was huge (jump/drop stuff)
It's very raw; rough, eroded and somewhat steep.
Prices were approximately the same as Whistler for a pass and rental.
It's like silverstar in that once the park closes nothing is open
The woodwork is ridiculous slippery in the wet.
The views are incredible.

I'll post some pics later tonight.

May 24, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

Thanks for the great input.I really do appreciate it! I am a little bit less psyched now though…. Wait a minute… I'm gonna be in Effin Europe… It's gonna be rad! :)

May 25, 2012, 1:38 a.m.

mi 2 cents: haven't been to bc to compare, but i agree that Leogang and Wagrain can't compare to the parks you guys have, judging only from what I hear from friends that have visited BC. 1 or 2 days riding Leogang should be well enough. A better bet would be to go on a (guided) alpine tour. You might be disappointed if you just visit the park. That said, the trails are well maintained and the infrastructure is well sorted. nothing beats a wiener schnitzel after a good day's ride. Have fun!

May 25, 2012, 4:56 a.m.

don't go park riding in europe, you'll be dissapointed. just go epic trail riding…

May 25, 2012, 6:53 a.m.

Go park riding in Europe! Leogang was really fun, small in comparison to what we have here in BC but worth it.
There is a North Shore style trail called boing boing that has really cool wood features and techy sections. The wood is hella slick when wet so try to get there on a dry day.
The scenery alone is worth going for. The alps make an awesome backdrop for photos.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 25, 2012, 5:47 p.m.

Again, thank you for the input. I think it will be a great time no matter what, and yes I am looking forward to the great food as well (the wife is kinda screwed as she can't eat wheat, dairy, or sugar) I have also been looking at some park photos in germany that look realy great, but maybe next trip. thanks.

May 25, 2012, 7:07 p.m.

I went to wagrain (pretty close to leogang, smaller). The town was dead and the park was nothing compared to here but it was cool to hang out with the goofy guys at the shop and eat good food. And then there was some giant parade going through and people shooting cannons but we couldn't find anyone who spoke english to tell us wtf was going on. It was a good time all around… the little hotel/B n B we stayed at obviously really only meant for winter was closed up when we got there… we went next door and talked to some kids and one said his uncle owns it, so he called his uncle he came and opened it up for us and charged us 20eu for probably the nicest place me and my buddy stayed our whole trip lol.

May 27, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

don't go park riding in europe, you'll be dissapointed. just go epic trail riding…

Never been in either wagrain or leogang, but I seond this - ride as many high-alpine trails as you can, and get a serious buzz.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 24, 2012, 8:24 a.m.

Just finished my second day at leogang a few hours ago. Great little bike park. trails are steep and bermy with a few tabletops. There is one trail that very slightly resembles crank it up(WBP) but with way less jumps. Two days is enough. our hotel is awesome and is maybe 30 feet from the lift. Would have liked to have my own bike. The scenery is definetly worth the trip alone.

We also spent four days at LES GETS bike park. One day of riding was enough. the rental bike might as well have been fully ridgid, and I would say (without much exaggeration) 70% of every trail was braking bumps. It was still fun and the trails were ok. Les Gets is part of the "Portes du Soleil". You can buy a lift pass and ride up one mountain to another,to another,to another……..I would highly recommend the cross country riding here.(I'm too lazy to ride up hills)Super fantastic views (Mont-Blanc)

We also spent a week in Bovec,Slovenia.Our friend rode many trails here that had amazing veiws. We spent all our time hiking, climbing , and rafting. Worth a look if your around (3 hours from leogang)

We are So lucky to have Whistler and Silverstar!!

July 24, 2012, 10:23 a.m.

We are So lucky to have Whistler and Silverstar!!

told you so, next time = single track riding ;)

July 24, 2012, 11:44 p.m.

Better late then never I guess: