Bike trip suggestions?

April 6, 2012, 3:52 p.m.

So our small group of friends have gone to whistler and silverstar in the past. Skill wise we're all fairly average, Blue is the difficulty of choice for jump trails, a-line for example is quite a bit above our comfort.However we're fairly comfortable with black trails when it comes to technical riding.

Anyone have experience with kicking horse bike park? or perhaps make another suggestion that we can travel too that's reasonably inexpensive.

April 6, 2012, 6:33 p.m.

So our small group of friends have gone to whistler and silverstar in the past. Skill wise we're all fairly average, Blue is the difficulty of choice for jump trails, a-line for example is quite a bit above our comfort.However we're fairly comfortable with black trails when it comes to technical riding.

Anyone have experience with kicking horse bike park? or perhaps make another suggestion that we can travel too that's reasonably inexpensive.

Sun Peaks ftw for natural tech singletrack DH, steep gnar and fast, and lots of them so you don't get bored plus a couple of really good FR trails with wood and gnar combos. Not really much in the way of jump trails unlike Silver Star. Great little resort/village area too.

April 6, 2012, 7:42 p.m.

the negative about Kicking horse is the long fireroad you have to ride at the top each run, wear good gloves! There is a really fun blue jump run at Kicking Horse though and its fairly long. The views from the top of Kicking horse are awesome.
here is some video I took last summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCx_JGI66hE

I prefer the riding overall at Sun Peaks because I like the more technical singletrack.

Panorama is also fairly good, its not as big as the other parks but its a bit cheaper and they had some fun trails.

there is a list of all the BC bike parks with their price and opening date here http://www.trailforks.com/bikeparks

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

April 6, 2012, 9:33 p.m.

Is it fair to say kicking horse is pretty heavy on wood work? I was hoping to have some trails with a lot of natural obstacles and great scenery.

April 6, 2012, 9:37 p.m.

Is it fair to say kicking horse is pretty heavy on wood work? I was hoping to have some trails with a lot of natural obstacles and great scenery.

Sun Peaks, it is generally pretty natural but as mentioned above a few really fun stunt trails (Sugar) that don't have that bike park built feel to them. Love it

April 6, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

My video just happens to have a lot of woodwork on it, the one trail there is almost all wood. But the overall terrain is pretty rocky there, a lot of the trails are fairly exposed. I would say that there are probably less natural obstacles than other BC mountains though, lots of built stuff. But there is lots of steep rock slabs to ride, which I enjoy.

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

April 7, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Sun Peaks is great for natural terrain. Views are OK.

The Fernie bike park had some nice scenery but I have no idea what shape the trails are in. It was fun in 2003.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 10, 2012, 6:16 a.m.

Based on your original post, you'd probably like Sun Peaks.

April 10, 2012, 9:04 p.m.

Regarding Sun Peaks , in addition to the sweet steep natural terrain spoke of above………
Doesn't it now also offer lots of great jumps being that "Brad the Builder" is the trail worker?

April 10, 2012, 9:20 p.m.

Panorama is pretty fun. You can do Golden one day, Pany the next..Fernie is 3hrs from Pany.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 11, 2012, 9:21 a.m.

If you're thinking about hitting kicking horse I would recommend riding Mount 7 as well. You'll need to shuttle it but the riding is amazing. You'll get every kind of ring in one run.

April 12, 2012, 12:51 a.m.

I'm trying to stop painting with oils as much as possible because photoshop is a lot easier and cleaner, but people keep asking me oil portraits.

oh, that's cool

July 23, 2012, 8:12 p.m.

Just back from the trip and I gotta say sun peaks was pretty awesome! Fast tech and not too many wtfbbqcliff moments made the trip pretty enjoyable. Even gave the first rocky rock roll/drop on insanity one a shot and survived it with a blown tire :trinity:.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!