Wade's Wisdom: What are Your Pet Peeves?

March 28, 2012, 2:39 p.m.

As for the cappuccino pet peeve, i have to somewhat share your view….If i'm in a questionable coffee house, I just ask for a dry cappuccino, that way if they screw it up i just end up with a reg. one and not a latte. Sadly it seems to improve my odds….

Wade, will I need to ask for dry cappuccinos in Italy?

yeah you won't be disappointed. Small cafes were the best, with the stand up bars, and Capps were like 1 Euro when I was there.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 28, 2012, 2:41 p.m.

My pet peave is not what other people do, but how I use to let uncontrollable things upset me. I used to care way too much about everything. American politics, world issues that my actions have no bearing on, what other people were doing, what other people were riding, new products, etc.

I vowed last year to work on that. To get to a point in my life that things that I have no control over don't affect me. I am almost there. Still find somedays where I slip back.

But when you give that all up, you start to realize how much of your time is wasted on letting stuff bother you.

Just let it pass and you will be a much happier person for it.

serenity now!

March 28, 2012, 2:53 p.m.

One thing that can absolutely ruin a ride or weekend is people not offering some cash for gas. I own a truck, lots of my friends do not. I don't mind shuttling, heck i don't even mind my truck being dirty ALL the time. Bitch about $15 vs $10 for gas or worse, don't even offer money at all and I may just boil. For the amount spent on insurance and maintenance alone there is a reason that these deadbeats don't own trucks. Don't bitch about pitching a couple bucks.

Plus a hundred right there.

I have a crew cab diesel - baby will take a twelve pack of bikes and bikers, but it isn't exactly cheap. Had a buddy bring a buddy and on the ride up he starts talking about how much money he is saving since he and the wife went to one car. Doesn't even offer as much as a "hey no cash today- get you next time" after like four shuttles, nor does he offer to drive one.

It is not like hanging 6 bikes on a tail gate is extending said tail gate's life any.

Also, as a general rule - you will be walking if you bring up anything "carbon-footprint" related, while riding in my truck.

March 28, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

I'm going to have to agree with you on the parking side of things with cars…but it's an issue with bikes too.
1. When people forget that bike racks are made for bikeS…thats plural. Locking to the outside of the rack when your in the first space is an inefficient use of space - thats what the ring in the middle is for, save locking to the outside for those of us that "park" on the outside of the rack. Alright, now that that's off my chest, my other pet peeve is those who use umbrellas.
2. First off…I've almost lost countless eyes to umbrella users who lack spatial awareness - you take up more space with an umbrella, lift it up when you pass people. Secondly, umbrella users that feel the need to walk under awnings with their umbrellas open - not only do you not need the awning protection (you have one in your hand silly) but your massive umbrella and lack of spatial awareness forces me into the rain.
3. Cops parking at the works yard on Cypress. I know you're checking for those speeders - thanks for that. But please, move somewhere else..up or down, just anywhere but there. You're seriously cramping my style when I want to crack a beer (I don't drive…so no drinking and driving their folks) with my friends after a solid day shuttlin' the gnar gnar.

March 28, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

My peeve? I'm over it now….Riding through a pile on a night-ride and having it fling off my front tire, lodge on the inside of my fullface, stick to my chin, and to the inside of my visor I wipe the visor off as I ride. I start to smell dog-s@*%. "Must be on my tire somewhere!!" Beer break happens, I stop, remove my helmet, wipe my forehead and nose of sweat only to realize I have just face washed myself with dog-excrement that has been on my glove and inside my helmet for the previous 1/2 hour. Damn, I had to waste a Sleeman's on washing my face off by shaking and spraying the beer to rid the shit……..smelled better after that.
That's my peeve……….the only one….and whiner's…

Tim!!

"God gave me eyes so I don't ride my bike thru dog poop right dad?" <- my 11 year-old ->

..`Good times come and good times go,
I only wish the good times would last a little longer.."-Mike Ness

March 28, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

it's tough to justify a drivers licence when you have no intention of paying attention to what you are doing…..when behind the wheel.

That cell phone in your hand is a wicked tool, but maybe walking like a zombie on busy downtown streets….in front of moving cars is a poor use for the device.

…..many people buy insurance to protect themselves in case something happens. In other words when everyone is paying attention, on occassion someone makes a mistake, but things are ok. However there seems to be a number of people whose lives are one endless series of mistakes in which they expect everyone else to accomodate, watch out for or compensate because of.

….and espresso: an unbalanced 3 bean blend, over roasted and poured using 16-18 or more grams for a single shot is not coffee. Its poison. I know this because a 7 gram shot made from 13 beans (Lucky 13) that is perfectly balanced and tastes of perfection is actually created roasted and available here in Vangroovy….

Just because you can make pretty designs with foamed milk doesn't mean you have made a good capaccino, or that its even art. Art is in the cup, and begins with the coffee….that design doesn't make up for the other deficiency.

March 28, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

Crumbs in the butter!!

There's no place like fromme

March 28, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

I live in Kits

there's your big mistake right there…

:canada:

March 28, 2012, 5:27 p.m.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but here in in Vancouver I find what really pushes my pet peeve button is seeing dogs wearing designer puffy jackets, name brand puppy T's, or hats. Clothing in general on pets don't belong. I can't help but come to the conclusion that nature intended fur to form it's function. Whatever it is, it must have one, right?. It peeves me to see owners subject their poor pets to this ridiculous concept.

March 28, 2012, 6:31 p.m.

Careful of who gets accused of the crappy parking thing. You never know what state the street was in when the perpetrator arrived. Could be that cars had come and gone since and it only appears that the guy is taking up two spots.

March 28, 2012, 6:33 p.m.

Oh and I hate random, last minute left turners. Plan your route ahead of time, and use left turn lanes if possible. Some companies that have drivers preach and teach this, aka UPS.

March 28, 2012, 6:42 p.m.

And how about those chicken shits who post anonymously when they have something controversial to say? That's my other biggest pet peeve.

How about the people that allow them to post anonymously?

March 28, 2012, 6:47 p.m.

There is a special place in hell for the dickhead who invented the venti caramel macchiato.

March 28, 2012, 7:28 p.m.

Riders that cut previously perfect, mossy corners. If you are riding twisty, tight unspoiled single track, then enjoy the corners! And, I am aware that a lot of riders in the vids these days flick out the back tire upon shredding a berm. Doesn't mean you have to do it every time on every corner! And, locking up your brakes to slide through the corner is just BS.

March 28, 2012, 7:38 p.m.

My dearest and nearest, when she places the top back on the 4 L milk container, but without ant twist to close it, which I "discover" in the morning when I shake the milk all over myself!

Trail braiding, FUCK I HATE THAT SHIT.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.