Wade's Wisdom: What are Your Pet Peeves?

March 28, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

People who don't say hi back on the trails.

that one bugs me too.

March 28, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

people who slide instead of ride.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 28, 2012, 12:54 p.m.

People who perpetually show up late for rides.

this one too.

March 28, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

My pet peeve is all these "pro" riders that have been sponsored for years, soaking up all the dollars and deals and making the up and commers and basically depriving new talent of opertunity, on the basis of experience. How do you get experience, if you don't get the chance. The turn over in this industry is bullshit. The biggest waste of money is this one guy who rides for rotwilde bike and another one that rides for ibis. Just using my right to free speech, but I know there are chicken shits out there that wont like this or let it be read. Oh well.

-This is typically how it works and I explain as you clearly have absolutely no clue.
-They get sponsor dollars because they are marketable (AKA well known)
-They are well known because they are/were really good bike riders and also maybe made the right connections.
-They got really good at bike riding because they worked really hard.
-In summary: If you want to get sponsored go work hard at biking.

March 28, 2012, 1:15 p.m.

i thought this was gonna be a lame thread full of whining… and it is but its pretty funny and spot on.

I dunno if its a pet peeve but I never understand the guy driving behind me who absolutely cannot wait another second to get to the red light half a block ahead. Relax, its red, chill and save some gas. Or don't, whatever.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 28, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

Hey Wade,

I can totally relate to the parking thing. I live in Kits, and there isn't nearly enough space for people to take up two (or more!!???) spots.

Check out http://youparklikeanasshole.com and print out some infraction notices of your own. :D

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

March 28, 2012, 1:20 p.m.

My Pet Peeve:

People who still view the Planet as an endless resource to rape and pillage for greedy profits

I also share in Wade's view on Cappuccino and the Left and Right lane belief.

March 28, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

Garbage on the trails - energy bar wrappers, anything biker related and dog walker doo-doo bags piss me off in particular.

Also, general lack of trail etiquette. Skids, cutties, braids, riding loamers in the wet, and people who don't walk in and out of secret trails or know/respect the code. If it's for the camera, it somehow seems worse but it's all poor.

March 28, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

Umbrella adequate:
1) Be spatially aware of your surrounding height and diameter. I’m tall and at times am forced to matrix-dodge those heat-sinking temple pointy things.
2) Please do not walk under awnings. Awnings are designated for those who choose not to carry around an oversized Callaway umbrella. You’re carrying your own personal awning, don’t be greedy!
3) If it’s windy and you bought a triple-happy-star-night-market umbrella, don’t even try to use it. You are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger.
4) GORE-TEX

March 28, 2012, 1:49 p.m.

@Wade: Really? Your life is so together that the way random strangers park irks you?

Please tell me this is an early April fools?

You have so much to be happy about that i'm disappointed that we have to air our grievances. Trails are being built, trails are being reclaimed from disrepair and it's all happening 'Monicas' personal backyard.

Let's celebrate the positive instead of ragging on others. If you're mad that someone has stopped in your way on the trail - be glad that the trail was good enough for you to be upset about the pause. And know that it will be good again as soon as you roll on.

March 28, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

I have many but the one that seems to be getting my goat of late is people texting while walking. They then expect you to get out of the way as they barge their way down the street, talk about self absorbed. I honestly don't know how more people don't get run over those days. Casey Neistat video on vimeo does a much better job of highlighting this than I could ever do.

[HTML_REMOVED]iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/35618156?byline=0[HTML_REMOVED]portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]/iframe[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]p[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]a href="http://vimeo.com/35618156"[HTML_REMOVED]Texting While Walking[HTML_REMOVED]/a[HTML_REMOVED] from [HTML_REMOVED]a href="http://vimeo.com/caseyneistat"[HTML_REMOVED]Casey Neistat[HTML_REMOVED]/a[HTML_REMOVED] on [HTML_REMOVED]a href="http://vimeo.com"[HTML_REMOVED]Vimeo[HTML_REMOVED]/a[HTML_REMOVED].[HTML_REMOVED]/p[HTML_REMOVED]

March 28, 2012, 1:51 p.m.

The parking photos that Wade posted are likely due to the drivers being inconsiderate but there's also a chance that they're the victims of the domino effect of inefficient parking. As soon as someone leaves a large gap in between parking spaces then it offsets every other vehicle that subsequently parks on that block. If the original jerks leave then it may appear that a later car took up too much space even if they parked in the most efficient way given the arrangement of cars next to the curb.

I was once a victim of this scenario. I parked the best way possible (as a good San Francisco citizen always does) and when I returned to my car there was a note on my hood that read "thanks for taking up two spots fagot."

Pet peeve: People that use derogatory terms they don't know how to spell. :dizzy:

March 28, 2012, 1:56 p.m.

I'd like to add people on high horses to my list of pet peeves.

Come on…except for the racist and that one guest whining about opportunities they clearly don't deserve, this thread has been a pretty healthy way for people to vent (wikipedia defines pet peeve as "a minor annoyance") and outlets like this are positive sometimes.

Maybe if nsmb had a dedicated venting thread like this we wouldn't have so much negativity leeching it's way into the 29er thread or umpteen pages of debates over walking up fromme.

March 28, 2012, 2:29 p.m.

My pet peave is not what other people do, but how I use to let uncontrollable things upset me. I used to care way too much about everything. American politics, world issues that my actions have no bearing on, what other people were doing, what other people were riding, new products, etc.

I vowed last year to work on that. To get to a point in my life that things that I have no control over don't affect me. I am almost there. Still find somedays where I slip back.

But when you give that all up, you start to realize how much of your time is wasted on letting stuff bother you.

Just let it pass and you will be a much happier person for it.

www.steedcycles.com

March 28, 2012, 2:38 p.m.

My pet peave is not what other people do, but how I use to let uncontrollable things upset me. I used to care way too much about everything. American politics, world issues that my actions have no bearing on, what other people were doing, what other people were riding, new products, etc.

I vowed last year to work on that. To get to a point in my life that things that I have no control over don't affect me. I am almost there. Still find somedays where I slip back.

But when you give that all up, you start to realize how much of your time is wasted on letting stuff bother you.

Just let it pass and you will be a much happier person for it.

right on! I ride bikes to let go of life's stresses, not add to it….chill winston and enjoy the ride!