Wade's Wisdom: What are Your Pet Peeves?

March 28, 2012, 12:14 a.m.

Wade's lined up a sweet prize pack from RaceFace and Lezyne for this round of Wisdom. All you have to do is tell Wade what irks you… preferably with a photo or video to accompany.

Check out the details and Wade's peeves here...

flickr

March 28, 2012, 12:43 a.m.

People complaining about trail improvements/repairs.

This man knows best.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 28, 2012, 1:07 a.m.

Theres probably a way to make an interesting video about this, but the absolute most annoying thing in the bicycling related world is people that borrow your tools, and either don't return them, lose them all together, or dont't put them back in there proper place. Meaning that when you need to fix your shit, your outta luck.

March 28, 2012, 2:50 a.m.

I would say my biggest pet peeve that is mtb related is people who feel the need to hang their old inner tube up on a tree after changing a flat. You packed it with you likely for months in your pack, would it hurt to throw it back in there and pack it home? At the end of the day, what does the inner tube hanging from the tree really prove?

As for the cappuccino pet peeve, i have to somewhat share your view….If i'm in a questionable coffee house, I just ask for a dry cappuccino, that way if they screw it up i just end up with a reg. one and not a latte. Sadly it seems to improve my odds….

Wade, will I need to ask for dry cappuccinos in Italy?

March 28, 2012, 6:29 a.m.

My #1 pet peeve: crumbs in the butter

On the subject of driving, I've got two more:
1.) People who don't get into the right lane when making a right hand turn, forcing me to slow to a walking pace while they inch around the corner (or making me stop while they wait for pedestrians), despite there being room in the lane they're meant to turn from.

2.) People who try to merge onto the highway 20km under the speed limit, with a line of several cars behind them. There's nothing scarier tha trying to get onto highway 1 at 60km/hr when the drivers in the lane are doing 90+.

With respect to biking:
1.) Riding buddies who constantly pinch flat on the trail (specifically, when I'm there) or frequently experience some other type of mechanical. Of course, it's not the problems themselves that piss me off, but that they won't do anything about them. I understand that problems happen and have probably given 20-30 tubes to perfect strangers in the last five or so years, but when it happens frequently and halts the ride for the whole group, the rider just needs to suck it up and ride with higher pressure or get heavier tubes/tires.

2.) Dirt bikes or other motorized recreational vehicles riding up mountain highway. One of the significant reasons I ride is to get out into the woods and breath some nice fresh air. I do not want to smell the exhaust from a poorly maintained dirtbike while I'm climbing up the hill.

3.) Dog shit

I guess these can all be summarized as: people who fail to recognize the negative impact that their behavior has on those around them.

There's no place like fromme

March 28, 2012, 7:39 a.m.

As for the cappuccino pet peeve, i have to somewhat share your view….If i'm in a questionable coffee house, I just ask for a dry cappuccino, that way if they screw it up i just end up with a reg. one and not a latte. Sadly it seems to improve my odds….

same here. amazing how tough it can be to get a proper cap. no, i don't want a half litre of milk with that. unfortunately overcompensation isn't uncommon when you ask for dry - ie, shots tossed on a cup of foam. sigh.

March 28, 2012, 7:41 a.m.

People who don't say hi back on the trails.

March 28, 2012, 7:50 a.m.

Mine is trail surveyors….the ones who practically get out a measuring tape,transit and calculator to calculate exactly how fast and at what angle they need to achieve for a 2 foot drop

Pastor of Muppets

March 28, 2012, 7:57 a.m.

People who perpetually show up late for rides. You take the time to inform the whole group of the ride, time and meeting place and it never fails someone shows up late then needs to pump up their tires and adjust their derailleur. This is particularly annoying for afternoon rides where day light is limited.

March 28, 2012, 8:08 a.m.

Pet Peeve?

Complainers.

There are many places in the world with much more to be unhappy about than the car in front of you or how someone prepared your fancy coffee.

Don't sweat the small stuff, go ride your bike.

March 28, 2012, 8:15 a.m.

I couldn't agree more! you spend to much time in Europe.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

March 28, 2012, 8:18 a.m.

Oh,I also dislike people who complain about complainers.

Pastor of Muppets

March 28, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

My pet peeve… directing taxi drivers. If I'm paying someone to drive me somewhere then they should know the local streets! Also in the days of GPS and sat-nav there is no excuse! In London the drivers have to pass "the knowledge" before they get a license and London is a flipping nightmare to navigate. Vancouver is a piece of cake compared to that…. so yes having to give taxi drivers directions is a pet peeve.

Also taxi drivers that have a digital accelerator and brake… on or off…. gets me car sick.

Rant over. :)

Jon-boy.

March 28, 2012, 8:48 a.m.

It would appear Wade and I share the same car/driving related peeves. I can get pretty worked up about it. The end of the week Friday commute can drive me to drink.

I would add the shear panic that seems to grip BC drivers the second they hear a siren. When in doubt, slam on the brakes! I think I read somewhere that gridlock improves EMT response time. It was on teh internetz.

I also can't stand it when you hold the door for someone and they don't acknowledge the gesture. I'm not looking for a medal, just a smile, or a nod of appreciation.

We live in a society!!!!

March 28, 2012, 9:21 a.m.
  • bike park riders who stop in the middle of the trail and / or just stupid places to stop e.g. gathering around the entrance of an area where more than 1 trail start

• same stupid bike park riders that see me bombing their way and think they have the time and super human acceleration ability to jump back on their ride and not be in the way as they pull onto the trail.

• 'friends' who don't bring a change of clothes or something to sit on and think they are getting back in my car after a long muddy ride.