Wade Simmons Interview - talking maps, books and trails

June 3, 2011, 9:04 a.m.

Wade who? Never heard of him. Must be a hack.

Who wants to cook some breakfast at the entrance to bobsled?

No way, it's gotta be cooking breakfast at the top of CBC for it's opening day.

June 3, 2011, 6:41 p.m.

a bike version on gnar would be great. nude run would be so risky :lol:

June 7, 2011, 4:58 p.m.

I'm sure the book is great, but the "Seymour Epic East Side: Technical Tour" is not. His suggested ride should read more like this…. (the red is mine)…

Climb single-track on the Baden Powell up to Old Buck. Then get your ass kicked by the Old Buck grind up to the Seymour Road. Another spin up to the corner and a short techy climb up to TNT. You're at the top! The loop then descends TNT into Cabin trail and then into Dale's (Dales is great for the 1st couple hundred metres and then its green broken stunts and flowless) ending at the powerline. This combination of trails is so fun and challenging both technically and physically(here I agree!!), true All-MTN bike terrain. Then it turns left and climbs steep (also in agreement…steep!)up the powerlines. We timed the climb and it only takes 5-7 min (if you can ride this I suggest trying out for the canadian olympic mtn biking team), or 10min walk…perfect! Then at the Mushroom trail intersection we go right and head to C%$t Buster. This trail is one of my favorites(really?) and a definite cherry on top (If you like super steep (at the end anyways), featureless trails) to finish off with. Once back on the Baden Powell (I think this should read Bridle Path, but I could be wrong)it's a nice rolling spin back to the start. 14+ kms riding, 1000m+ worth of climbing/descending and 11kms of sweet Shore singletrack!

Like I said earlier I'm sure the book is great and I plan to pick one up, but this loop is not fun, at least for me. You'd be better off just riding the upper part of Dale's then heading back out to baden powell and hitting up Bogieman or something similar.

My dog Rules! He rides more stunts than U!

June 7, 2011, 5:05 p.m.

Dale's is a work in progress. nsmb.com has adopted the trail and we have had just one trail day thus far - hence the nice first few hundred metres. We'll be working our way down slowly.

June 7, 2011, 5:09 p.m.

I rode it last weekend, and i honestly liked the older first couple hundred meters. it's the mid section with all the woodwork that needs some help, nothing else. it's the one trail up there that is still 'rustic'
oh well, probably better the new way, but i like the old better!

June 7, 2011, 11:51 p.m.

Come on out to our next trail day if you'd like to have some input Peter. We'd be glad to have you along.

June 8, 2011, 7:33 a.m.

I tried really hard to make it out for the last trail day but couldn't, i'll try again for the next one for sure.
Regardless, you guys did an awesome job!

June 8, 2011, 9:10 a.m.

slight thread derail… 99% of the feedback has been very positive with the Upper Dales changes. It now flows better and more sustainable. It's a win win stituation. I would suggest ride TNT is you want "rustic".

:canada:

June 8, 2011, 9:13 a.m.

don't get me wrong i do like the new, but miss the old at the same time!

back to the book… i saw it at Cove last weekend, looks amazing. Spent all my money on a new wheel so i couldn't grab the book, next time for sure though.

June 8, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

So that means you aren't going to come out to our next trail day Peter? There's always enough work and enough tools to go around.

June 8, 2011, 9:19 a.m.

slight thread derail… 99% of the feedback has been very positive with the Upper Dales changes. It now flows better and more sustainable. It's a win win stituation. I would suggest ride TNT is you want "rustic".

yeah, our big group pre-riding the super d course sunday morning were all survival on TNT, and smiles and high-fives after dales….great work, can't wait to see the rest of the rebuild!

June 8, 2011, 9:20 a.m.

organize it on a weekend that i'm in town and i'll be there :)

June 12, 2011, 8:24 p.m.

Check out some videos of the trails in the book here

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 12, 2011, 8:29 p.m.

TNT is you want "rustic".

that's the next one that needs to be tapped.

June 12, 2011, 8:34 p.m.

that's the next one that needs to be tapped.

soooo much potential up there!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter