Vid/Story/Pics - Danger Dan Returns to The Flying Circus

Oct. 12, 2011, 3:06 p.m.

I actually met Dan as a substitute teacher in grade 8 and 9 science, this would have been just before he went to Sweden I guess. As a BMX kid I thought it was way cool that one of my teachers was a famous mountain biker. Since his specialty was in physics, I really looked up to him. Of course, like a good little groupie, I told Dan this when we met him to do the walk on the Circus.

flickr

Oct. 12, 2011, 4:17 p.m.

Thanks for sharing….

This may not be a suprise to people, but Dan started his young life as an Ice Hockey goalie…A good one too..

Back in the day he back stoped our Pewee AAA Hockey…maybe it was Atoms… representing the North Van Rec center… So one game he shows up with this huge cheater on his catching glove…Then every time he saved the puck on his glove hand he would yell out "CHEATER" It drove the opposite team insane!!!! I think he would have gone far in hockey…he quit a few years later… I am guessing at the time he just got bored (Genuis) and just moved on to something else..

The next time I saw Dan was on one of his first rides many years later, (On a Woolco Special with no suspension…he just rode balls out…. he bailed about ten times or more 20 or thirty minutes into the ride…

Next time I see him he was Dangerous Dan!!!!

Oct. 12, 2011, 4:47 p.m.

Wow, I'm so stoked to see the response to this piece! We were really happy with what came of the project. Thanks for the comments guys, it goes along way to motivating us to do more.

I've made the whole set of photos from that day public on flickr. The photos are bigger than in the article, and there are 57 in total. Enjoy!

Keep it up. Don't miss that trailuz I could only ride 5% of it but it definitely is a piece of NS history. You guys should find a trail that reprensents the "new school" of trail and talk to its builder and see how "and if" Dan's creations ever inspired them.

Shed head!

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:08 p.m.

Keep it up. Don't miss that trailuz I could only ride 5% of it but it definitely is a piece of NS history. You guys should find a trail that reprensents the "new school" of trail and talk to its builder and see how "and if" Dan's creations ever inspired them.

Yeah, itd be cool to talk to someone like Ted (BRT) who built Half Nelson in squamish. Totally a new-school trail that epitomizes flow.

As a side note. I really really really hope this turns into more short doc's like this. I think there's so much potential for it, and personally, Id rather watch 7 minutes of someone like Dan (or Digger, etc) talk about trails and the history of mountainbiking then a short video of riders jumping to ear-bleed inducing music.

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

I've been an NSMB reader for about five years and never thought to register on the forum (being a non-native) until now. I just wanted to voice my appreciation for this fine piece of mountain biking history. Really enjoyed the article and the video.

I've recently had a bout with cancer and can relate to the need to be out doing something meaningful when you're dealing with the psychological effects it can have on you. This article and video make me want to go out and build/ride some sick trails!

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

wow probably the coolest vid on the shore in a long time.

my thoughts exactly. awesome

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

this video made my day single handedly, its those stunts and videos of his trails that bring me back to the excitment and just pure awesome of riding "north shore". Its what inspired us in CT on the east coast usa to build some stuff, ride that stuff, and eventually make the trek out to Vancouver and Whistler.. thanks dan your influence is WAY more than you will ever know!

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:45 p.m.

Someone should flow him a new bike for good measure.

all the new wunder bikes would probably fall apart landing on dansitions.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

Wonder how Dan feels about "flowy" trails being the in thing rather than the tech. stuff he built? Dude's definitely a legend [HTML_REMOVED] pioneer.

Thread killer

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

Wonder how Dan feels about "flowy" trails being the in thing rather than the tech. stuff he built? Dude's definitely a legend [HTML_REMOVED] pioneer.

That is a good question. Stuff like where he sees the riding going and so forth.
A guess a more in depth interview should be in order

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:42 p.m.

That's Awesome! I would kindly ask for more insane footage with Shore trailbuilders and their creations of the past and modern.

By the way, there is a mistake and Danger never have been to Russia ( i know it for sure), but he would like to go )
Got a flowrider tshirt and that's also great!
his trails always inspired us, here in russia

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:29 p.m.

this thread is much nicer than the death-to-sharon shitshow from last week

great video!

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:30 p.m.

That was well done boys. Nicely filmed. Not the stuff I ever wished to do because I am the opposite of the people who seem to have a death wish. I would love to see the real pioneers get this treatment though. The Cove riders like Shroom, Chaz Dewey. Ross Kirkwood, Dane M, etc. Guys that were building when most you guys were still shittin' your drawers.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

I've had the honor of riding some of Dan's new stuff on Bowen. Most flow much better but will still make you poop your pants.

Some of the Bowen trails are Circuseque taken to the next level, but some have higher speed gaps. All have consequences. Which is where the main similarities are from the old days. Not the smooth noob friendly trails that are being built now. Dan likes his suuuuper steep and scary lines too, not just the skinnies and drops.

His building has progressed while still retaining the essence of what the Circus, Groove (Swollen Uvula), Reaper, Walk in the Clouds, Watchamacalit and so on.

A top guy for sure.

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:43 p.m.

I've only been riding for just over 2 years now, and had only heard of Dan before this article and video….but wow, well done! :)

I'd love to see some more North Shore history lessons like this!