Vid/Story/Pics - Danger Dan Returns to The Flying Circus

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:56 a.m.

Amazing. First class article.

I agree with Ken (gasp).

This type of piece will continue to set NSMB apart - good job!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:05 a.m.

Best read and video I have seen here for a while, maybe ever. Really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

On that note, did Digger ever release a complete history of NSX on DVD? i.e. all the vids together? I doubt my old VHS NSX1-3s would work, even if I knew where they were or had a VCR to play them on. Or maybe sold them as a chaptered digital download?

First 5 Digger did a few years ago- NSX History X. The NSX series I think is the one's not extensively loaded onto Youtube.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 12, 2011, 11:19 a.m.

Wow, I'm so stoked to see the response to this piece! We were really happy with what came of the project. Thanks for the comments guys, it goes along way to motivating us to do more.

I've made the whole set of photos from that day public on flickr. The photos are bigger than in the article, and there are 57 in total. Enjoy!

flickr

Oct. 12, 2011, 11:39 a.m.

Really great job guys.

Riding the Shore back in the day and seeing the level of effort and detail that the builders put into their creations really inspired a wave of people to pick up a shovel and give back to the sport. Running into guys like Digger, Pete Morin, Dan, etc. working on the trails was always such a treat. Our crew would instantly throw down the bikes, offer up beers and start rock bitching for them. It was the LEAST we could do at the time, but when we'd head home, we'd start scouting and building our own lines. That is one of the intangible benefits that many on the Shore probably haven't even considered. Dan has my utmost respect.

Cheers,
EB

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

That was excellent. Thanks very much.

I like the ending. No melodrama, just the way things go.

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:20 p.m.

I remember I was about to ride Groov and I needed to..lighten the load before I rode. I hiked up and found Whatchamacallit and there was Dan. He gave me a strange look asking how I found the trail. I told him the best leaves were up there. He laughed and showed me some more of the trail. Hilarious.

Going to watch some NSX tonight for sure.

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:31 p.m.

He is STILL on that RB?. Also proving that those (sorry but ugly as sin) Tag Wheels are bombproof, that is the exact same setup since the last time I rode with him, on Bowen, in 2007!

Danger you freak, You're the man, and a legend.

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:34 p.m.

Great content NSMB

What bike would Dan have been riding back in '98 when it was built? I'm guessing the suspension wouldn't have liked some of those drops :)

:canada: :england:

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:39 p.m.

Scared of heights. Yeah right.
:alien:

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 12, 2011, 12:53 p.m.

Thank you for a (at least in my humble opinion) a long overdue article.

I vividly remember watching the first videos and the feelings I had back then. When I was studying in Ireland, I bluetacked a b/w print-out taken from the internet showing Dan hucking off the Lobo2000 onto the door of my room - for me it was and still is the epitomy of technical riding. Everyone thought the pic was fake.

Then, in 2001, when such riding was not really that known outside the downhilling scene in Europe, I went to a bike tradeshow in Cologne - and there he was, together with Super T and another rider who eventually supposedly ended up in Italy. They had a full Flowshow going. Unreal riding.

I had long chats with him, he could not ride the stunts they had built because during testing he sprained his ankle, so only Tyler rocked the huge drop. It was unreal.

I remember him telling me about a new trail which he back then called "The Drooler" (?), apparently with a 9 meter drop. And I said something along the lines of "WOw, that is as high as the roof of that hall over there", and he was like "Yep, pretty much." - I was petrified.

I took a couple of pictures, bought a t-shirt I still have, black with a silver Flowrider logo on the front and the back. One of my dreams had always been to come to the Shore and build with him some crazy stuff. Back then in Cologne he was open to the idea, buzt unfortunately I did not have enough money back then.

Somehow riding was different back then.

In 2007, when I was on the Shore for my first riding, I was shown the Lobo2000, slipped on the log, nearly broke a leg and was truly amazed at how easy it looked on the vids….I could not even ride down Pipeline without crashing.

Thank you Danger, for inspiring me - and being one hell of a rider. You rock!!!

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Oct. 12, 2011, 1:43 p.m.

For someone (me) who moved here late in 2003 and only started riding in 2005 this article is amazing. The sort of stuff that I used to watch in videos back home. I have seen bits and pieces of these trails when I got lost or decided to go for a wander but to see in this light is pretty unreal.

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

Time to dust off The Emergence.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:59 p.m.

that brings back memories, met him once in saalbach, during the first adidas slopestyle. remember talking with him about nuclear fission, dunno how we got on this topic. it was late that night :)

Oct. 12, 2011, 3:04 p.m.

Props2 Dan for still keepin m wheels flying! Thnx for being n inspiration!

Vinay Menon  |  Psynyde Bikes & Components