Vid/Story/Pics - Danger Dan Returns to The Flying Circus

Oct. 12, 2011, 1:16 a.m.

Nice to see Race Bike bikes on shore.

Specialized SX Trail 09 DHX 5 Coil,Fox 36 VAN R.

Oct. 12, 2011, 2:15 a.m.

Never been to Canada nor ridden North Shore but surely know the Dan and his sick trail creations from NSX movies back in the day. This movie made all the great memories to come back.
Although skinny era might be over for couple of years now I do still like to ride some moderate difficulty ladders[HTML_REMOVED]bridges whenever trail builders put on the trails. Thanks to DDan for his and the rest of Flowriders' crew inspiration.

Many thanks for putting this movie and aharing on NSMB!

p.s. And for Gods sake please donate some bike stuff to Dan :)

G3Riders www.g3riders.org
www.facebook.com/G3Riders/

Oct. 12, 2011, 4:51 a.m.

Awesome. Takes me back to those days. I can remember standing there on the Circus and just thinking 'WTF!'.

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:38 a.m.

Anyone else get a little misty reminiscing about the good ol'days?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:39 a.m.

This was great…something I can show Mini Dude as part of history on the Shore.

I would also love to see this become a bit of a "History" series. Spend some time talking w/ the different builders on all the mountains.

I still get the shakes thinking about high skinnies. I can say I did some, survived, but have no desire to go back to those days…

Thanks guys…keep up the great work on these pieces.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:50 a.m.

Amazing how someone as influental in the sport can fade into the background when the focus of riding shifts like it did 4-5 years ago. Dan is probably responsible for my obsession with building trails, skinnies and crazy contraptions in the middle of the forest for most of my teen years. Thanks for the great article, and I'm so glad to see he's still riding and building elsewhere than the shore

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:54 a.m.

Anyone else get a little misty reminiscing about the good ol'days?

The days when it took all day to ride one trail on our steep angled 3" bikes. When a day on the mountain was an adventure and not just a quick shuttle lap before or after work? The days when the 'north shore' was a magical place where all of the riders you saw in the vids rode and built stunts? Yeah I miss those days…and my rocky mountain hammer race with a yellow rock shox quadra 21r

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:55 a.m.

That brought a big smile to my face and got my day off to a good start… huge props to Dan and his legacy…

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:33 a.m.

I would also love to see this become a bit of a "History" series. Spend some time talking w/ the different builders on all the mountains.

for sure. need to nail down digger for sure; you could generate a miniseries w/ the stories he could tell.

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:34 a.m.

I've got a few good stories about this guy. The funniest one was probably the year that Jeremy Levin and I went down to sea otter. We heard that Dan got denied at the boarder when we were leaving town. Once we got to Monterrey RH told us he was arrested by trying to sneak around and go to another crossing. Of course this wasn't exactly true, however RH was arrested a day or so later when he hit a chick with a chair during the infamous "Bike Magazine Awards" chair fight…… you can't give Canadians free booze….

More so about Dan; That guy is gold. I'd get calls at midnight the day before on of his shows, "Hey dude, we need a rider, so and so bailed!" I'd tell him I was in no way capable of riding that skinny stuff and that he should call Ian Moult. His response was usually something along the lines of. "No man! We have dirt jumps! and you can do tricks off the drop! It's got a lip!" I'd get all excited and rush out the next morning and ask him where the dirt was….. "It's in the trailer! we have to build it!" Wooden landings….. usually with a skinny before it. fml. Twice he got me.

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:46 a.m.

On that note, did Digger ever release a complete history of NSX on DVD? i.e. all the vids together? I doubt my old VHS NSX1-3s would work, even if I knew where they were or had a VCR to play them on. Or maybe sold them as a chaptered digital download?

Amazing video. Loved the retrospective. It would be great to see more like this. Can you do Tippie next?

Actually seeing what some of those old names are up to would be really cool.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:55 a.m.

loved it, brings back memories of HOLY CRAP WHAT THE #@%*! YOU CANT RIDE THAT!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 12, 2011, 8:47 a.m.

Someone should flow him a new bike for good measure.

viperfunk.com

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:37 a.m.

Wow, that was a great piece. Super good vidder!

One of the most interesting points about it is that Dan made is trails technically hard, for instance pedaling that skinny uphill the entire way.

Now a days we see tones of braids making the trails easier, but faster. The shift is really interesting.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:45 a.m.

Amazing. First class article.