Vid - 5 Days in Pemby with Alex Pro

Dec. 23, 2011, 3:23 p.m.

Listen vancouver, the only people that are tarnishing your image are the people that won't let the riots go. I think I speak for the rest of the world when I say that nobody gives a shit, we forgot about it a long time ago.

this is one of the stupidest things i have read here in a while. carry on

Dec. 23, 2011, 6:39 p.m.

One thing that isn't acknowledged in this discussion is the Fundamental Attribution Error. I touched on this in my article earlier.

This is a sort of tangential application of this concept but I think it applies here.

This is as simple as what we all do when we are driving. Someone who cuts is off is an asshole. When we are in a hurry and are perhaps less courteous on the road we use our circumstances to explain our behaviour (the Actor Observer Bias). We aren't bad people, we are simply dealing with an unusual situation in a logical manner (while everyone else thinks we are assholes).

This theory has been upheld in study after study. It's something we all do all the time.

I think it can be applied here, although there is likely a different term for it when it is used on someone other than ourselves.

In this case it seems that virtually everyone who knows Alex Pro well (I do not btw although I have met him briefly) can empathize with him. Everyone who I have heard speak of Alex, before or after the event has been extremely complimentary. He is known to be friendly, generous and generally a very solid person. You certainly don't hear this sort of thing about all pro riders either.

In light of this those who know Alex can't reconcile his behaviour in the riots with the person they know. To them this is clearly not something he would not normally do. As a result they can more easily see how the situation influenced him to act in a way he wouldn't normally. The effect a riot/mob can have on individuals is well documented and was even referenced by Shakespeare. A quick web search will reveal that this effect is powerful, rooted in our dna and well-documented. Add alcohol and all best are off. (which some of you may know makes us act in ways that we wouldn't normally - although I am not saying this takes away our personal responsibility for our actions)

If you are going to reply to this by saying this is crap and that I am an asshole - you be helping prove my theory by blaming my behaviour on my character rather than the situation before us. Of course if you know me and you say this is crap I may indeed be an asshole.

Again, I'm not condoning or trying to suggest that no amends should be made by anyone who lost themselves to these factors - but without recognizing these factors as a community we are sure to see them re-occur.

Another factor is how our behaviour changes when we think we are unidentifiable - like many are on the web! ;)

Holy crap Cam, your keyboard is on fire, that is good stuff.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Dec. 23, 2011, 11:47 p.m.

My 30 year old truck is currently on blocks while I rebuild the motor mounts and replace the fuel pump by myself.

can i flip it, burn it, and you get over it in a few months. i will half ass say sorry but you and all insurance holders shall pay. for good measure i can smash all your windows wherever you live and light the neighbourhood on fire, that should make you forget quicker and we're cool.

Dec. 24, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

Sharon posted on NSMB using her real name because she was a NSMBA volly and later the NSMBA president a long time before she wrote the guidebook. But then the likes of you and bluntmoron would forget that in hurry and just assume that she now posts just to promote the book right?

Yeah I am aware of that and respect the work she did. It was still to her advantage to have her name known in the industry at that time. Point still stands. The only thing that can come from me using my real name is to get busted for posting at work.

My tongue in cheek remark about women in the bible was meant to illustrate the irony of Sharon quoting the bible and was not to suggest she should muzzle herself in any way.

Name calling clowndouche? Really?

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Jan. 12, 2012, 9:50 a.m.

Were you just commenting on a forum while Alex is out slaying the sea to sky corridor?

Just asking.

Jan. 12, 2012, 10:04 a.m.

sebkemp, stephenmatthews, sharon - all industry folks who have something to gain from establishing and maintaining a public profile (welcome, btw, stephen, seb and paul - i think there are a lot of folks here who are pretty psyched that you're adding your voices to the conversations on this forum)

Don't know about the others, but Sharon is not an "industry person". She is a long-time (around 20 year) volunteer and NSMBA liaison with government/municipalities/business and advocate for North Shore trails and mountain biking. Just what the f*ck were you doing for the North Shore trails 20 years ago? Please post. I would be curious to know.

Can you also please give me your rationale behind why I might use my real name and you post hidiing behind an anonymous handle? Maybe its because I am prepared stand behind what I post and to take responsibility for it, and maybe you aren't.

The only thing that can come from me using my real name is to get busted for posting at work.

Would be a shame if someone could do an IP address lookup now, would it?