Vid - 5 Days in Pemby with Alex Pro

Dec. 21, 2011, 4:50 p.m.

Wow I sure wish I was as pure as half the people posting here, and I'm really glad I wasn't chastised for life for some of the really stupid things I did as a kid.

Do you all research the background of every athlete, musician and entertainer before you decide to watch? I sure hope you don't watch any professional sports or enjoy any music then.

Some of you will never feel he can move past this, so why should he bother trying to change your minds. You have the choice not to watch it.

Some people just saw a kid shredding on a bike and it looked pretty fun.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in the thread.

Jesus christ.

Dec. 21, 2011, 5:18 p.m.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in the thread.

Jesus christ.

well i can just consider the source and not be offended by yours

I agree he screwed up and it's a big deal and I was pretty disturbed by the whole riot at the time.

I just can't bring myself to continue to hate someone that hasn't done something to me personally. That's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as everyone else is theirs.

Dec. 21, 2011, 5:35 p.m.

i remember last time I had a gatorade i got hammered brah

Haha, damn, if it was gatorade then i stand corrected. I'm right about the other stuff though.

Dec. 21, 2011, 7:18 p.m.

well i can just consider the source and not be offended by yours

I agree he screwed up and it's a big deal and I was pretty disturbed by the whole riot at the time.

I just can't bring myself to continue to hate someone that hasn't done something to me personally. That's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as everyone else is theirs.

ditto. and further more, what do you guys whom are still really angry about this want those of us whom are his friends to do exactly? Abandon him? Ostracize him? Push him away and hold on to some kind of bitterness and hatred towards him? Alienate him totally from the world? WTF? What will it take for you guys to be satisfied? Doesn't seem to be anything from my POV.

Dec. 21, 2011, 7:56 p.m.

I agree. Dumb move, Cam. You seem to have a need to argue with people or something.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. That I shouldn't express my actual opinions? If you are suggesting that I shouldn't point out what I think is an injustice, like the criticism of Alex's parents, you are talking to the wrong guy. Perhaps you think I should serve up some politically correct spew because it would serve my business interests? I'm sorry to inform you that I am more interested in integrity than I am in business.

I'd be a lot more impressed if the video showed him doing some volunteer work in the community. Actions speak louder than words, an apology alone is not enough.

I agree.

This video, this post was all a bad idea. what the puck could be gained from showing this? anyone could've predicted the flame-up this forum was gonna create. Commencial probably want their bike back now. And think this is gonna bring him back into the fold of enlisted pro riders? should've just gone riding sans video cause now he just looks desperate and trying to hang on to what he had.

Im sorry but the fact this video ever saw the light of day on your front page makes NSMB look pretty transparent. You just perpetuated the whole bro-brah BS, unconditional respect for a sponsored rider, which I hate about the MTB media.

Do what you will with this comment, put it up or not, I could have just signed in and skipped the moderation but for your sake I didnt. The fact that you think this guy deserves to be seen in a positive light, makes me question whether I ever come back to surf this site. Next time post a goddam video of Alex "Pro" going to work off the debt he owes to that contractor guy he fucked over and then I might gain a little respect for him or the people who defend/ make light of his idiotic actions. Wish he had just paid his dues, and faded off into the sunset like any smart person who screwed up would've done.

Everyone probably would've have lightened up on him if he had rolled over his own truck at the end of the video. Totally off topic but that hillybilly mid-box exhaust is just whack. Tell J-Rock you want your 20 bucks back buddy.

I admit that I thought long and hard about whether to post this - partially because of the appearance of condoning Alex's actions and partially because of the inevitable flaming. In the end I decided our posting criteria shouldn't depend on whether our moral code aligns with an individual rider's actions in the past or whether this will have some impact, negative or positive on his reputation. Our purpose is to entertain and inform - obviously not at any cost - but that remains our mandate. One could certainly argue that from a news perspective it would have been a disservice to ignore the fact that this video was made and served up on the web. It certainly would have been cowardly not to post it - and part of me wanted to succumb to that and avoid the inevitable shitstorm.

We are not beholden to Alex nor to any of his former sponsors. I will admit that I liked the riding and filming in the video - but that has very little relevance. Like you I think this was too early and I would have preferred to have seen some evidence of reparations on Alex's part before seeing a video of him riding. To me this was a strategic error.

If anything my feeling was that this video was likely to do more harm than good to Alex's situation for the reasons stated above, but again I decided that shouldn't influence our decision about whether to post or not. If I hadn't posted this video a potential criticism would have been that I avoided posting it to protect him. I have enough experience with this and with our audience to know what the outcome would be - as witnessed in the posts above. None of the outrage expressed in the posts above is a surprise to me. I knew it was coming.

At the same time I believe in second chances and I'm optimistic that Alex will show us the steps he has taken to make amends when the time comes, and I'm hopeful he can turn things around. While I don't condone his actions in any way I have the self-awareness to realize that at 19 I too could have been swept up in the same potent alcohol, mob and adrenalin-fuelled cocktail that Alex unfortunately lost himself to. I would hope that I wouldn't have but having never been exposed to that intense combination I am unable to say that unequivocally. Take a look back in your past and ask yourself if as a young person you ever drove too fast, or drank too much and got behind the wheel, or just did something stupid and random, perhaps while drunk, that had unintended consequences. I bet some of you even told the occasional lie to protect yourself from the consequences of your actions. For some reason it's often those who, if they were honest about it, could confess to the most serious of these actions who are out for blood. I outlined my thoughts on that here.

You may question our judgement, as I have second-guessed it, but I can assure you our motivation had nothing to do with any of the bro association you are projecting on me or nsmb.com, nor to any desire to rehabilitate Alex's reputation.

Hopefully you'll keep tuning in but I understand that people have strong feelings about this issue. I'm sure the anger, disgust and disappointment I felt as a result of the actions of Alex and every one one of the rioters was every bit as intense as yours. As someone who was born and raised in Vancouver I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I was more disgusted than you.

I have no comment on your criticism of Alex's exhaust solution.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dec. 21, 2011, 8:10 p.m.

ditto. and further more, what do you guys whom are still really angry about this want those of us whom are his friends to do exactly? Abandon him? Ostracize him? Push him away and hold on to some kind of bitterness and hatred towards him? Alienate him totally from the world? WTF? What will it take for you guys to be satisfied? Doesn't seem to be anything from my POV.

Him to man up and take responsibility for his actions? An apology on facebook doesn't cut it.

Did he go down to Vancouver to help clean up? Has he personally apologized to the owner of the truck? Offered to help pay for damages he personally caused?

As far as I know, none of these things happened(if they have, I am ignorant of it and will take back what I've said)

He honestly just seems like he's just waited for it to blow over(which clearly it hasn't)

Dec. 21, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

The vid was alright. Nothing special though

I am still pissed over the whistler dog slaughter!

Dec. 21, 2011, 8:57 p.m.

Thanks for the above post,Cam.

Alex is a good kid who did something bad.

That is all. He lost his job over it…do people really neeeed to see himm grovel for forgiveness?

I hope not.

My first post in this thread was a bit of a troll,but I had no idea that so many folks were this petty and vindictive that a video of a former pro rider would send them off the rails,but I guess that is the way society on the interwebs is these days.

It was a nice video…that is all.

two more things….If Myles Rockwell or Missy Giove were somehow able to make a comeback after both having been convicted of drug trafficking,would the bike world be as hard on them as well?

Are the shittalkers in this thread leaning on the waterpolo player just as hard?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:24 p.m.

two more things….If Myles Rockwell or Missy Giove were somehow able to make a comeback after both having been convicted of drug trafficking,would the bike world be as hard on them as well?

Didn't they both just grow / sell some weed? That surely makes them heroes in BC?!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:38 p.m.

Are the shittalkers in this thread leaning on the waterpolo player just as hard?

Who? What waterpolo player?

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

Some waterpolo kid was caught trying to light a cop car on fire end ended up losing his scholarship cause of it I believe

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

The one who may or may not have allegedly on film set a cop car on fire.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 21, 2011, 9:56 p.m.

umm I think the only one involved was that MTB'er no?

Dec. 21, 2011, 10:02 p.m.

umm I think the only one involved was that MTB'er no?

Oh, you're right…he pulled off the whole riot by himself.

What was I thinking?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 21, 2011, 10:57 p.m.

Notice how the majority of the positive comments in this thread are by people with real names for interwebz handles?

transition bikes