Unsung Heroes - the Bike Park Maintenance Staff

June 19, 2008, 4:25 a.m.

where's Dans mug ?

Was up yesterday for some nice tacky conditions. You guys are going to get a treat this weekend with Dirt Merchant.

Nothing beats BATW when heading to WBP or any other time for that matter.

:canada:

June 19, 2008, 10:35 a.m.

I wonder how much riding these guys get in.

June 19, 2008, 1:56 p.m.

I wonder how much riding these guys get in.

They work 4 ten hour days… so they get one day off during the week, which I imagine would be used by sessioning the stuff they just finished.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

June 19, 2008, 2:21 p.m.

Great article and pics! You guys make a great team!

I have no filter …

June 20, 2008, 4:20 p.m.

ok so for sure props to the dudes that do the work, BUT having ridden whistler the past two seasons, and forked the coin for the pass, ummm how about maybe get more than 12 guys, and then maybe it won't get so blown out?? The first season we were there we figured it just got wrecked late in the season (we arrived around CW time) and they let it go cos it wasnt worth fixing b4 the snow. but last year we rode the whole season, and its always the same. notwithstanding putting in some more paving like on a-line, or some table carpeting silverstar style, you just gotta have more people working the runs. I know its about the coin, but i'm travelling across the globe and forking big coin to ride these sweet trails, i quite selfishly expect sweetness. that said, even those photos were enough to get me juiced.
peace

June 20, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

unsung?
isnt this big budget crew also paid?
the article did make a good advertisement though

ride more, post less.

June 20, 2008, 9:51 p.m.

Nice boys! You make us look good and we appreciate you shinning the light on the hard work the crew does to get the Park open each Spring. You are welcome to back and pitch in any time!

Thanks,
Brian

"At what point does a man that needs a shave become a man that has a beard?"

www.brianfinestone.com

June 21, 2008, 4:10 a.m.

unsung?
isnt this big budget crew also paid?
the article did make a good advertisement though

who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Cool article, looks like a fun time.

June 21, 2008, 7:42 a.m.

ok so for sure props to the dudes that do the work, BUT having ridden whistler the past two seasons, and forked the coin for the pass, ummm how about maybe get more than 12 guys, and then maybe it won't get so blown out?? The first season we were there we figured it just got wrecked late in the season (we arrived around CW time) and they let it go cos it wasnt worth fixing b4 the snow. but last year we rode the whole season, and its always the same. notwithstanding putting in some more paving like on a-line, or some table carpeting silverstar style, you just gotta have more people working the runs. I know its about the coin, but i'm travelling across the globe and forking big coin to ride these sweet trails, i quite selfishly expect sweetness. that said, even those photos were enough to get me juiced.
peace

Trail work takes time. Whether you're paid or not.

Considering the amount of traffic the bike park gets they're playing catch up most of the time.

I'm sure they would love to have more people on the trail crew, but they have budgets and it is a for - profit company running the park, so if its not making money, its not happening.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 21, 2008, 9:29 p.m.

who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

i just dont think this is the best pick for unsung heroes, especially when it comes to trailbuilding.

ride more, post less.

June 22, 2008, 6:54 p.m.

Great write up and awesome pics Dan….Props to the trail crew!!!

June 22, 2008, 7:56 p.m.

uh marty , how much more coin would you be willing to fork out for the pass ?

'cause right now the boys are doing the best they can with the coin they have to work with , and that money has gotta come from somewhere .

June 22, 2008, 8:30 p.m.

peace

Just wondering, would you like some cheese with your whine?

You bitch about the maintneance staff they have yet obviously fail to realize that to hire more staff means that the lift fees go up as well to pay for them. And then people like you will bitch about the higher fees.

Maybe if you spent less time on the mountain and rode some of the other trails the valley has to offer. You would quickly realize that what the mountain offers is really a damm good deal. Those trails see far more daily maintneance then even half the other trails in Whistler.

If you don't like it well then buck up the money and go build your own gravity fed mountain bike paradise else where.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 23, 2008, 1:22 p.m.

i just dont think this is the best pick for unsung heroes, especially when it comes to trailbuilding.

agreed, 'unsung' isn't the right term - 'behind the scenes' is more like it. Sounds like a pretty chill summer job IMO

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 23, 2008, 4:11 p.m.

Just wondering, would you like some cheese with your whine?

You bitch about the maintneance staff they have yet obviously fail to realize that to hire more staff means that the lift fees go up as well to pay for them. And then people like you will bitch about the higher fees.

Maybe if you spent less time on the mountain and rode some of the other trails the valley has to offer. You would quickly realize that what the mountain offers is really a damm good deal. Those trails see far more daily maintneance then even half the other trails in Whistler.

If you don't like it well then buck up the money and go build your own gravity fed mountain bike paradise else where.

I don't think he was complaining about the staff and how hard they work. I think he was complaining that there are too few staff with too much to do.

I think we can all stop making excuses for Intrawest and there budget constraints. There a big corporation with deep pockets that will cut corners to make as much money as possible. For a bike park that has +100,000 visitors per year a $200,000 wage budget for 4 months of operation is pretty small. (Thats assuming a $12/hour wage)

Even if interawest decided to double the maintenance crew and pass it on directly to you, that's $2 per lift ticket.

Back on topic though, I think the crews do a fabulous job. I wouldn't want to take the criticism at work that thoughs guys face.