Transition Dirtbag review

Oct. 15, 2006, 9:26 p.m.

Nice to have Richard's fine work back on nsmb.com

Dirtbag me.

Oct. 15, 2006, 10:04 p.m.

Good review. I really appreciate honest opinions about bikes, and the reviews from you guys always seem to fit the bill :)

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Oct. 15, 2006, 10:04 p.m.

Nice review but other than a spec change and getting lighter I don't think the Dirtbag has changed much since Stuart did a review last year. I think most people around here have been more interested in hearing something about the newer bikes in the TBC stable. Any plans to review the new short travel rigs for the winter riding season??

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Oct. 15, 2006, 10:14 p.m.

Good review, but a couple things. Here, I think the word "single" should be used:

_The DirtBag is designed around a 7 to 8-inch travel fork, and is fully covered under warranty for use with dual-crown forks. The bike I rode was equipped with a Marzocchi 66RC2X. A couple of years ago, I would have scoffed at a 7-inch dual crown fork, but having spent all last season riding this fork on my personal steed, I had no doubts about its strength or ability to be abused beyond reason and still come out of it begging for more. _

And the word "bikes" here:

is stable in the air and just plain rips when you put the hammer down. (Something that sets Transition backs apart is the ability to choose your shock and front fork - Ed.)

Also, I disagree with the Sram vs Shimano comments, specifically that an LX/XT drivetrain would be more welcome than the X-7 drivetrain. I know that this is personal opinion, but I have to wonder if the bike suffered from a bent hanger. What makes a drivetrain feel "numb"? What was the problem with x-7?

And, why not some pics of the author riding his bike, rather than Metzger throwing big moves? If you've been around the bb and the sport for awhile, we've all seen pics of Mike going big. I'd like to see the author testing the bike himself.

Also, how did the bike hold up over the testing period? How long was the testing period?

A good review, and I enjoyed reading the stats about TBC's growth.

Oct. 16, 2006, 7:03 a.m.

I would have loved some pics of me in the review, but unfortunately, living far away from Vancouver, I'm the only one working on this stuff where I am…riding and snapping photos at the same time is just NOT an option. Sorry, man.

As for the drivetrain, I aligned the hanger, replaced the cables…I pretty much tried avarything…still shifted like it was encased in Jello. NOT like the x9/x0 I'm used to.

There are a couple more typos in there, too, Cam… OOPS!

rb

Oct. 16, 2006, 8:31 a.m.

Good review, but a couple things. Here, I think the word "single" should be used:

_The DirtBag is designed around a 7 to 8-inch travel fork, and is fully covered under warranty for use with dual-crown forks. The bike I rode was equipped with a Marzocchi 66RC2X. A couple of years ago, I would have scoffed at a 7-inch dual crown fork, but having spent all last season riding this fork on my personal steed, I had no doubts about its strength or ability to be abused beyond reason and still come out of it begging for more. _

And the word "bikes" here:

is stable in the air and just plain rips when you put the hammer down. (Something that sets Transition backs apart is the ability to choose your shock and front fork - Ed.)

Thanks Straw. Vino and editing late at night do not mix!

Oct. 16, 2006, 8:33 a.m.

Nice review but other than a spec change and getting lighter I don't think the Dirtbag has changed much since Stuart did a review last year. I think most people around here have been more interested in hearing something about the newer bikes in the TBC stable. Any plans to review the new short travel rigs for the winter riding season??

Let us know what you'd like to see tested Ape and we'll see what we can do.

Oct. 16, 2006, 8:50 a.m.

How's about these two little beauties:

http://transitionbikes.com/2007/Double.cfm
http://transitionbikes.com/2007/BottleRocket.cfm

In every other "what should I buy?" thread the BR seems to make a shortlist or 4.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Oct. 16, 2006, 11:35 a.m.

Great review….good to see others that like the dirtbag too…I love mine, but its time for a new bike…

hehe…I want to see a review of the Covert and a Giant Reign X1…but I doubt that will happen before I buy my next bike…..

Oct. 16, 2006, 3:35 p.m.

Hey just wanted to point out that Transition World HQ is actually in Ferndale, Washington, about 25miles from the Canadian border, not Seattle. Do you actually think some Seattle city boyz could build bikes that tough? Nah, these bikes are designed in the real Pacific North West, were there are more trees than buildings.

Oct. 16, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

Actually, the Dirtbag was designed before they moved to Ferndale, if you want to be picky, which places them in suburban Seattle when the bike was conceptualized and originallyproduced…and updated

but your point is well taken…Ferndale it is, then…

Oct. 16, 2006, 5:23 p.m.

I really enjoyed the review, considering it is a potential purchase to me.

However, I was wondering how the bike felt on tight shore terrain and how well it jumps.

Any feedback would be great, thanks.

Oct. 16, 2006, 7:46 p.m.

Jumps awesome (note Metzger pics), really stable, and is as agile as big-travel bike I've ridden in the tight stuff…

-Richard

Oct. 17, 2006, 12:19 a.m.

Hey Man,
Great review. I would like to thank you way after the fact for the Preston FR review from a few years back as well. I f*[HTML_REMOVED]ked up my back at Mt Washington and was looking for a capable, but less full on Freeride/DH bike than my Shore. I looked at every bike out there, and based on reviews from riders and from what I saw about TBC (vibe, culture, passion etc) I decided to go with the Preston. Oh, I also did a few quick test rides on Mudpuppy's DB too.

I was really torn between the DB and the Preston, and based on what I am using the Preston for, I made the right choice. I still have the trusty ole Shore, which still kicks it at the parks and at Whisneyland etc, but if I had been looking for a big hit bike, I probably would be riding a DB right now!

Thanks again, and keep at it… you write a mean review.

Mountain Bikes and Jeeps, good outdoor fun!!!

_=_=
l l ,[
___],
l--- L -[]lllllll[]-
()) ())-o-)_)

Oct. 17, 2006, 10:04 a.m.

Yes.

I too would like to see a extensive review of the Bottle Rocket. So much hype even before the bike was released and curious if it is living up to the expectations.

Cam, get one of the NSMB boys to ride the NS gnar, paraphrase their feedback and put it up. Nothing beats a raw review.

Looking forward to it. :)