The Silver Star report

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:58 a.m.

Corey Anderson and I hit up Silver Star on the August long weekend with some friends, and had a blast. The trails are in good shape, and the building is going off.

Check it out. And get up there soon - the hill closes on September 4.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

Aug. 17, 2006, 10:18 a.m.

Looks SOO rad! Trying to plan a trip for out there.

Marty's Mountain Cycle

Aug. 17, 2006, 10:37 a.m.

We are planning a trip out there after Crankworx next year. It looks so sick!

I wish that I could go this year!

Excellent write up!

Cheers!

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 17, 2006, 10:57 a.m.

Its good fun for sure. I was up there the Canada Day long weekend and loved the work on Double Dog and Flow. THE WALL RIDES ARE JUST PLAIN RANCH. I could have happily lapped them all day but 2 runs were enough.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Aug. 17, 2006, noon

Why does the exit ramp of the 'bridge' look tamer than it seems in real life.. or is it just my vertigo taking over again. :dizzy:

Aug. 17, 2006, 1:10 p.m.

yea - that picture makes it look tame, yet riding up to it for the first time…..wow. But, then I pushed back up and hit it again.

Aug. 17, 2006, 5:51 p.m.

Great Article Corey……i saw Stuart and your crew up there ripping shit up(looked like a wack of ya )……The trail crew has been hard at it lately as usual(Thanks Cam,Frank and crew)buttering the brake bumps etc……….the section after the A frame on World Cup is MONEY…the bombholes are gone!!!!!!!!!!!! If you havent been to SS your missing the boat……..2006 is GOING OFF!!!!!!!!!

Aug. 17, 2006, 6:05 p.m.

was up there last weekend…. rained the day before so no dust. Good times was had by all and thanks to Rusty for hooking a brother up. Here's what sums up SS…. to know it is to love it !

:canada:

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:12 p.m.

i only got a bike again a few weeks ago but jave bneen up the hill 3-4 times since. its sweet up there.

they gotta get some sort of policy as to what sort of 'bike' is allowed on the hill. i seen some crazy stuff there, like a 200 pound plus lady with an electric FOLDING bike, the kind with 20 inch wheels and a head tube that is about 3 feet long. she had a flat tire, and was walking down the double track to the chair lift. what a load!! that person is just a liability.

also seen a man in his 40's or so, doubleing a 3-4 kid on his lap!! the kid was resting his feet on the forks. as well as little kids on puny little bikes, with 12 inch wheels and coaster breaks.

besides all that , i love the hill, im glad to hear some maintinence has been taken care of. i think it is time for another sick day.

I

Aug. 17, 2006, 10:10 p.m.

I'm going up sunday awowowo

www.gnarwhale.com

Aug. 18, 2006, 11:46 a.m.

they gotta get some sort of policy as to what sort of 'bike' is allowed on the hill. i seen some crazy stuff there, like a 200 pound plus lady with an electric FOLDING bike, the kind with 20 inch wheels and a head tube that is about 3 feet long. she had a flat tire, and was walking down the double track to the chair lift.

August 5/6? I think I saw the same lady….sketchy as hell.

The article says 8 hours from Calgary? That's whack. It's more like 5:30-6:00 depending on traffic.

I might hit it up August 25-27…we'll see.

www.mmbts.com

Aug. 18, 2006, 12:11 p.m.

they gotta get some sort of policy as to what sort of 'bike' is allowed on the hill. i seen some crazy stuff there, like a 200 pound plus lady with an electric FOLDING bike, the kind with 20 inch wheels and a head tube that is about 3 feet long. she had a flat tire, and was walking down the double track to the chair lift. what a load!! that person is just a liability.

also seen a man in his 40's or so, doubleing a 3-4 kid on his lap!! the kid was resting his feet on the forks. as well as little kids on puny little bikes, with 12 inch wheels and coaster breaks.

There are easy (flat and wide roads) trails that also wind around the mountain for anyone to enjoy.

Aug. 18, 2006, 3:09 p.m.

I was there Monday Aug.7th, day tripped it from Golden, not too bad, 311km's from house to resort parking lot…. the traffic was of course nuts being a summer long weekend, asshole albertans passing like their life depended on it as we cruise at 10-15 over the limit already…. homo's. Anyway, yah I was glad I checked it out, probly won't go back this year, it had fun features…. overall just a 'not bad' rating from me. The jumps seemed strange, you either couldn't get enough speed or had way too much, the relation of speed to length of jump didn't have much consistency. I could ride superstar all day long, what an amazing trail. That was the high light of my day, seeing if we could make that one last run and pinning a top to bottom superstar, the rest of the trails - meh.

nate

Aug. 18, 2006, 3:34 p.m.

There are easy (flat and wide roads) trails that also wind around the mountain for anyone to enjoy.

i realise there is easy trials. i am also not trying to discourage anybody from learning how to ride or getting out in the forest. but 20 inch wheels do not belong on the hill, its unsafe, unless your a little kid, then it is relavent. there. i went down challanger ( green) once, and thought the was way more loose rocks on that trail, then most…mainly due from lack of traffic flow.

and 2 people on one bike?

liftys should have the power to say wether or not somebodys bike is unsafe. refund there lift pass and offer a rental.

I

Aug. 19, 2006, 3:36 a.m.

was up there last weekend…. rained the day before so no dust. Good times was had by all and thanks to Rusty for hooking a brother up. Here's what sums up SS…. to know it is to love it !

yeah it was nice, we only rode Saturday, and got lik'd at the wine tasting and the bar afterwords. I will def be back.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.