The Richie Schley Chronicles

Nov. 8, 2008, 1:24 p.m.

I find in all the recent movies, the best segments are still of Simmons, Shandro, Schley, etc - that's the riding that makes me want to get up and go rip. The dj sequences on the other hand I just feel like fast forwarding through.

I agree, I think that the explosion in slopestyle has meant that there's been a hype around tricks and to a certain extent people have forgotten that Simmons, Schley, Shandro and co have an insane amount of bike control, skill and style. What little of Simmons we do see in NWD 8 is some of my favourite riding - the bike seems weightless under him, just effortless style and brilliant to watch, and of course then there's Shandro in Seasons.

Recently my other sections in movies I've enjoyed have been Fabien Barel's in NWD 8 and Kinrade's in Kranked 6 - again big mountain, pure riding.

Riding is about trails, not the 0.2 seconds of 'trick' off a stunt.

Very good point there, that's the root of it for sure.

RIDE BIKES. DIG TRAILS. DRINK BEER. TALK CRAP

Nov. 8, 2008, 3:37 p.m.

I'm not sure what the relevance of your post is but anyone new on the "scene" can only dream of having the longevity that Schley has had in this sport. In fact anyone new on the "scene" should have a long look at Schley's work ethics and businesss model if they want anyone to even know their name next year when the next greatest thing pulls off the next greatest trick.

Schley's been in it since the early days and looks like he just enjoys the sport, making a living doing what he loves to do. He doesn't wow the kids, and I guess that makes him an easy target for the critics.

He produces a clip of a mountain biker riding his mountain bike in the mountains. It's what some of us having been waiting for.

Well said Dave…..most of the new school riders will be lucky if they are still in the scene 1/10 of time RS has….Great video!!!

Nov. 8, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

That was a really sweet Vid! nice work by Schley, I loved seeing wade thrown in the mix as well!

Nov. 8, 2008, 7:13 p.m.

First, I like freecaster less and less the more I use it. Too choppy…

Second, nice vid from Richie. It made me think of how much the old vids got me stoked to ride, while all the new vids do is make me go "Wow, I can't believe some was stupid enough to try that!" And I'm really, really fucking sick of dirt jumps in videos. Tail whip this, bitches, I want to see some mountains and forest in my movies!

Third, I vote for a vid with Richie, Wade, Tippie, Jerry, Shandro and any other old-school riders ripping some sweet trails that people actually ride, I need more stoke like this vid provided for the wet winter months!

YES….I want a vid like the part I bolded….that would be so awesome!

Nov. 8, 2008, 9:10 p.m.

I love these videos

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Nov. 9, 2008, 12:17 p.m.

Watched it again and realized that any video the Darcy Wittenburg has put out has been gold.

Shed head!

Nov. 9, 2008, 7:03 p.m.

nice work, richie. Makes me want to hop on my bike pronto. Hope to ride with ya again!

Mike,
Sacred Rides

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:24 a.m.

I'm just seeing this a year later.
I want to move to the sea to sky corridor.
I need to get a job up there.

Nov. 5, 2009, 11:39 a.m.

great vid. i recognize some o' those trails… awesome! while I can't ride 'em all, those are exactly the kind that i like best. sweet how he is shown riding his single-crown bike and his 40-equipped rig. there was some pretty imaginative camera work there - when he and wade are training? damn, wouldn't a vid of the s-turns at fort bill during WC at ground level be awesome?!?!?! (could a cameraman keep up, though?)
small editing comment: i thought it was weird that it started and ended with him sessioning the same hit. hmph. no big deal.

RIde. Eat. Repeat.