The Richie Schley Chronicles

Nov. 6, 2008, 11:56 a.m.

the stunt-laden extreme movies may appeal to the kiddies, but if you think about…its us older guys who earn the $$$ that actually buy the expensive bikes and do this kind of riding, and who the "industry" should really be targeting with movies

Richie's video makes me want to go and ride and I'd be happy hitting up the trails he is moving through

all the kids in our area buy cheap dirt jump bikes and ride in jeans and dept. store t-shirts and a skateboard helmet, but the industry is targeting them with all the movies. makes no sense?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2008, 1:27 p.m.

the stunt-laden extreme movies may appeal to the kiddies, but if you think about…its us older guys who earn the $$$ that actually buy the expensive bikes and do this kind of riding, and who the "industry" should really be targeting with movies

Richie's video makes me want to go and ride and I'd be happy hitting up the trails he is moving through

all the kids in our area buy cheap dirt jump bikes and ride in jeans and dept. store t-shirts and a skateboard helmet, but the industry is targeting them with all the movies. makes no sense?

In a perverse way it does make sense. When I started skateboarding, a lot of stuff was out of reach (~1989) - today it is not for me, even if the sport and lifestyle have drastically changed, I still run around in skateshoes, etc.

Nowadays you can buy the style - and who knows what is in the pipeline of the marketing gurus? Even the now-teenagers will be able buyers one day.

And the DJ scene is kinda like the BMX scene, just with more media circus going on.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 6, 2008, 1:56 p.m.

richard is a fine young man as well as a talented mountain biker . i wish him well in this endeavour .

he has represented himself as a consummate professional throughout his career and now he is moving into a different phase . much like an actor who is comfortable in front of the camera , richard now has a desire to be behind the camera as well .

richard????? who are you? his mom!!!!!!

Nov. 6, 2008, 2:03 p.m.

oh! and as most have you have said awesome video, nice to see some good old fashioned mountain biking again rather than the crankworx video game combo moves.

Nov. 6, 2008, 2:40 p.m.

That's my kind of video….I loved it, now I want a full movie like that…no DJ's…triple backflip supermans or that shit…give me riding in the mountains…fast, flowy and fun…that's what this sport is about to me. I could care less about who did what trick….

Nov. 6, 2008, 4:39 p.m.

As much as I respect what the "kids" do in Slopestyle, I'm with all of you on this one. Richie shows us reality that most of us can relate to even if we can't ride everything the "old master" can ride or huck. Richie is timeless…

TomPro

Nov. 6, 2008, 4:51 p.m.

Sick riding, awesome trails, totally in line with what I want to see in a mountainbike flick. Props +1 to Richie.

Side note: He seems to be doing allright $$$ wise with the Tundra in the movie and his Cayenne…

Nov. 6, 2008, 4:51 p.m.

Great vid! Most of that stuff is too scary for me to ride, I recognized a couple of trails up north of Whistler.

Yup, that's riding.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 6, 2008, 11:03 p.m.

good thing mtb'ing isn't about slopestyle

give it another couple seasons and the "focus" will have shifted

by the posts on this thread, it may be sooner. Bring back the mountains !

:canada:

Nov. 7, 2008, 3:58 p.m.

There is room for all styles of riding and videos. Films like Disorder have their place to show us what can be done (trick and stuntwise) on a bike. But there is also a place for videos (which I feel is growing) like this and the movies that the Collective have put out over the last few years. Honestly those videos are what gets me going more as I'm not a tricker. Seeing a sweet line and a cool trail get me going more than a no-foot can (although they are cool to see). I really like this style of video and want to see more on the shelves.

Shed head!

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:54 p.m.

Loved the video!!

That is what freeride is all about - flowy, smooth lines through beautiful wilderness.

Definitely a fresh look at the true spirit of the sport. I'm really tired of seeing films where they just set up a camera at the base of a pile of dirt and film guys throwing trick variations off it. Sure it's impressive, but it completely misses the whole point of free riding and mountain biking in general. And watching SS/DJ is just absolutely boring once you get over the shock factor. Smooth, fast riding on natural terrain is the soul of freeriding, and this video captures it very well.

I find in all the recent movies, the best segments are still of Simmons, Shandro, Schley, etc - that's the riding that makes me want to get up and go rip. The dj sequences on the other hand I just feel like fast forwarding through. Riding is about trails, not the 0.2 seconds of 'trick' off a stunt.

Nov. 7, 2008, 11:29 p.m.

sweet riding and awesome trails. will have to check out those trails one day.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 8, 2008, 8:57 a.m.

First, I like freecaster less and less the more I use it. Too choppy…

Second, nice vid from Richie. It made me think of how much the old vids got me stoked to ride, while all the new vids do is make me go "Wow, I can't believe someone was stupid enough to try that!" And I'm really, really fucking sick of dirt jumps in videos. Tail whip this, bitches, I want to see some mountains and forest in my movies!

Third, I vote for a vid with Richie, Wade, Tippie, Jerry, Shandro and any other old-school riders ripping some sweet trails that people actually ride, I need more stoke like this vid provided for the wet winter months!

Nov. 8, 2008, 9:14 a.m.

great riding, and those trails looked fucking amazing. Crazy building.

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Nov. 8, 2008, 9:34 a.m.

Mountain bike vid with mountains shocker.

treezz
wow you are a ass