The EGO bike - Electric assist for your DH rig

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:46 p.m.

A motocross bike would be cheaper. Dumb idea.

Jan. 13, 2011, 4:44 p.m.

what a joke

ill punch you in the eyes if i see that on your bike

Jan. 13, 2011, 5:45 p.m.

Looks like it'd get hit pretty easily,and aluminum mounts would bend to shit.
The battery would just suck to lug around but there are alot of advancements (lighter) batteries comming out. The more I look at it I think I could make that thing from a couple scraps of steel and an old starter…hack job but it'd work.

Whats next a towing package?

Na wouldnt buy it, but it'd be fun to try out for free.

I can jump and turn my bars.

Jan. 13, 2011, 7:04 p.m.

this is what i dreamed of when i was 13 and hiking up fromme to upp oil can..

now i am not a lazy bastard

great for commuting or if you have a leg condition that really limits how long you can ride a bike for

Jan. 13, 2011, 7:25 p.m.

oookay. Not enough info in the article to have an opinion (weight of battery pack [HTML_REMOVED] extra parts, cost, power [HTML_REMOVED] length of battery charge). Let the market decide. I can't see this being much more than a super small niche market. Would I try one for free - sure. Would I ever consider buying one - haha not a chance.

A lift ticket @ Whis [HTML_REMOVED] one of these Jestson bikes would get you to the alpine in minutes without breaking a sweat. Oh the possibilities.

Jan. 13, 2011, 7:32 p.m.

it would be sweet to build big gaps with no run and have people wondering how you rocked it at high speed. this thing looks like it would be scrap metal after one crash

Jan. 13, 2011, 8:34 p.m.

It's about as ridiculous as this: http://www.softsailor.com/news/55885-m55-hybrid-cross-country-electric-battery-bike.html

I think I'll be sticking to actually riding up or occasionally shuttling.

matt o

Jan. 13, 2011, 9:28 p.m.

Don't sweat it guys. We're developing a land mine right now, with electric bike detection.

Should be ready by late fall.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 13, 2011, 11:36 p.m.

People were sometimes concerned with BB7 idler pulleys causing drag, were they not? I bet that thing doesn't even coast down hill, it probably lugs its way there. And maybe even stalls.

Jan. 14, 2011, 5:53 a.m.

I totally agree with the points made. People who would use that are absolutely fat and lazy.

Hardly. How many of the downhillers out there bike to the top of the mountain? Precious few. Wanna do two trips up and down Seymour? Shuttlers only.

I think it has its place.

Haggis

Jan. 14, 2011, 8:25 a.m.

The problem is that this type of thing further blurs the line between motorized traffic and mountain bikes. At least in the states, this has long been an issue for land access and I cant see any good coming from handing ammunition to opponents.

Jan. 15, 2011, 1:27 p.m.

shit, I would stomp the shit out of fromme with that thing.

Jan. 18, 2011, 2:14 a.m.

I just thought of a bit of a safety issue. It looks like the chainring spins to propel, and the cranks are on a freewheel. Hopefully you dont get your pants stuck in the chainring, the speed its spinning at and the torque of the electric motor could rip your leg off.

Jan. 20, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

Hi there EGOists,

Thank you very much for showing interest in our product.
Due to massive requests for our EGO-kit we apologise in advance for the delay in getting back to you.

As winners of the ISPO BrandNew Award, EGO will be showcasing at the ISPO Brand New Village, Hall C2 booth 29, in Munich between February 6th [HTML_REMOVED]#8211; 9th. We are looking forward to seeing you there.

The EGO-Kit system will be available for sale online in March and shipping will be worldwide. We can inform you that the price for the entire EGO-Kit will be approximately [HTML_REMOVED]#8364;1,870 net sales price plus shipping and handling, the official sales price however will be announced after the trade show on the 10th of February 2011.

Stay tuned for details about the product, where to test it, how to mount it or your bike compatibility. Check out EGO

Jan. 21, 2011, 3:14 p.m.

The problem is that this type of thing further blurs the line between motorized traffic and mountain bikes. At least in the states, this has long been an issue for land access and I cant see any good coming from handing ammunition to opponents.

exactly, mtb advocacy groups have fought hard to differentiate ourselves from motorized traffic, things like this set those efforts back….I'm unsure why the mtb media is promoting these things.