The Chainsaw Massacre - Ten Years Later

June 15, 2009, 6:59 a.m.

I can remember the time very good. Over here the internet and easy access to North America in general was limited to hearsay from magazine guys, videos or magazines.

For me, it all started with a small statement that a video from vancouver was available via the Czechoslovakia (you had to call a number in Germany to actually get the tape delivered from there, weird). I loved Vancouver back then (19989/99) I think.

I watched it in horror, I can still remember the feelings I had. Good times. Around the same time I got my hands on K1 - the rest is history.

I was shocked to see the ending to legendary trails in K3, I was literally crying and hoping that the trailbuilders had enough "resilience" to pull it through.

I had no idea how big and, eventually, how organised your community was - until I found this very forum during my tri-semester in Ireland.

I have never ridden the trails, so I can only relate as an outsider to a thing that was breezing through the media-magazine jungle and left more than one rider shocked.

Props to the builders and MASSIVE props to the folks who then stepped up and started to talk with the responsible people and politicians. You guys did something that would have not had happened like that over here. Not on that scale.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 15, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

I remember there being some sort of controversy about that. Also, John, Elliot, Darryl, and some others had some footage riding it in, I think, NSX 4? I'm not even sure if the trail was entirely finished at that point.

I did an interview with John and Elliott and a walk through of the old line shortly after the destruction - and no it wasn't finished when it got demolished. Somewhere I have some old black and whites of them riding what was left of the trail. One of them was incorporated in the old site design as one of the images on the left side.

June 15, 2009, 10:41 a.m.

You are definitely the wheelie-drop type Anderson.

Wheelie dropping fool I was….

It started with a brodie espresso with rockshock quadra 21R's…a plush 2.5" of travel! Smoooth…until I ripped the head tube off…dont know why? ha

My super hucking rig was a bighit with twin 24 wheels and 3" gazzies at 12psi! ha….

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

June 15, 2009, 10:46 a.m.

RIP B[HTML_REMOVED]A/Ewok Village…

Eric, got any pics of that stuff?

I might have some…ya those trails were great…20 minutes to climb but about 1hr of play coming down. Ha…I carved the Ewok sign! I did not build much of the stuff but did my best to help out when I could.

We built this one that we called the mosquito drop for a while…it must have been 7' to flat…seemed great at the time…then after about 10 or so frames died and countless parts…they bridged it out into Ewok village over the swamp…

good times…

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

June 15, 2009, 2:22 p.m.

I did an interview with John and Elliott and a walk through of the old line shortly after the destruction - and no it wasn't finished when it got demolished. Somewhere I have some old black and whites of them riding what was left of the trail. One of them was incorporated in the old site design as one of the images on the left side.

Oh geez, that's right. For some reason I thought that they had just finished the trail.

The photo was of John on his old KHS, right? I remember being bummed when that went away in the switchover.

Dec. 4, 2009, 2:22 a.m.

Glory days!

Dec. 5, 2009, 1:04 p.m.

Long live Cypress!

Sept. 6, 2022, 9:19 p.m.

Any chance of bringing this article back for posterity?

Sept. 7, 2022, 7:08 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I fixed the link in the first post. The article is at https://nsmb.com/articles/3096-chainsaw-massacre/.

Sept. 7, 2022, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: syncro

I fixed the link in the first post. The article is at https://nsmb.com/articles/3096-chainsaw-massacre/.

Thanks!

There are a ton of old articles like this that have been 404'd

Jan. 6, 2023, 9:20 a.m.

I think I saw an article about this in Bike, and then asked the guy at Cove about it when I came to visit from Ontario in 2000, looking at universities (I ended up at UVic).  He said there's always more trails. 

While the content is unfortunate, I like these memories.  I don't even have a working bike anymore, but there was a time when I was on this site multiple times daily.

Jan. 9, 2023, 1:55 a.m.

Posted by: Straw

I think I saw an article about this in Bike, and then asked the guy at Cove about it when I came to visit from Ontario in 2000, looking at universities (I ended up at UVic).  He said there's always more trails. 

While the content is unfortunate, I like these memories.  I don't even have a working bike anymore, but there was a time when I was on this site multiple times daily.

That is a major bummer....go get that fixed.

Jan. 10, 2023, 6:42 p.m.

Posted by: Straw

I'm digging some of the low budget builds in the hardtail threads. Been inspired to start building one myself. Gonna try hold the budget as close to zero as possible lol. Join the low budget party Straw! Low investment possible big returns...

----

Thanks for reviving the article. Links still not working for me, but I live in the stone age.