The Chainsaw Massacre - Ten Years Later

June 9, 2009, 11:12 p.m.

Sterling Lorence got me thinking about this when he sent out some images of that nasty day in June 1999 when West Van Parks got hostile with power saws.

Check out how Danger Dan felt at the time and Sterl's before and after images here...

Last edited by: [email protected] on Sept. 7, 2022, 7:07 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed link
June 9, 2009, 11:29 p.m.

Rush tv did a nice little 1 hour program called "Ladder Bridges: A Mountain Bike Trail Building Legacy" that was actually pretty good. Digger, Danger and of course Wade, along with the "On Top" boys and a few others, are all interviewed and the talk about the birth of the North Shore.

Danger and Digger speak for a bit about "The Chainsaw Massacre "

Good show that is worth watching. I still have it on the PVR

June 9, 2009, 11:39 p.m.

Rush tv did a nice little 1 hour program called "Ladder Bridges: A Mountain Bike Trail Building Legacy" that was actually pretty good. Digger, Danger and of course Wade, along with the "On Top" boys and a few others, are all interviewed and the talk about the birth of the North Shore.

I would love to see it. Is it something you can post to youtube and share?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

June 10, 2009, 12:47 a.m.

June 10, 2009, 2:33 a.m.

Wow, interesting…
I believe Australia is now at where Canada was maybe 8-9 years ago when it comes to the attitude towards riders/builders.

My home track has been ripped apart 3 times now in 5 years. Me and the crew spend countless weeks building and innovating to make the tracks more interesting and fun and then you rock up one day and it's all on the side of the road ripped to pieces.

We got a little bit more clever the last time though and rebuilt most of it out of rock+dirt and sometimes even some cement. The locals who have been ripping it all up seem to leave the dirt booters and landers alone.

Some NS has creeped back in pretty stealth like and the locals have let it be and we have even gotten a group of bikers together and sat down with the locals in a meeting of sorts discussing our differences.

Now we share the trails with walkers and horse riders and the last time they disagreed with one of our features they actually asked us to remove it instead of just destroying it without notice.

We complied and removed it as it can just as easily have been done with dirt which is what we are replacing it with.

Hopefully one day we will also have proper DH FR NS trails in my area, but until then, we will build and persevere…

June 10, 2009, 7:58 a.m.

While it was before my time, I remember hearing about it back then. The North Shore was just entering my mind as I grew tired of the XC thing in Ontario.

Mountain Biking is still fighting the fight to be a legitmate activity in the minds of many people. But there are lights in the tunnel as we have some amazing ambassadors both in the Municipalities and on the trail that are working hard at ensuring this kind of event never happens again!

I don't recall seeing ever seeing those pictures… but man are they amazing.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

June 10, 2009, 8:16 a.m.

I remember watching Kranked 3, the North Shore section at the end. It was so cool, it was like nothing I had seen before. Then the caption came up talking about the chainsaws. Sad.

Cool writeup!

June 10, 2009, 8:30 a.m.

I got in a few laps of Reaper before the chainsaws.

June 10, 2009, 8:30 a.m.

I'm glad things are changing now and the municipalaties are starting to support/allow these trails. They were so revolutionary then and still are I guess. If they only knew back then that Vancouver was leading the way for the whole sport of mountain biking and was becoming recognized around the world. I think today these trails must make a reasonable contribution to tourism revenue and have attracted many of us to visit or live and work here.

June 10, 2009, 8:39 a.m.

wow. that would have been a great segway into becoming a paid member of the NSMBA

June 10, 2009, 8:53 a.m.

best thing that could have happened to Cypress IMO…

:canada:

June 10, 2009, 8:53 a.m.

wow. that would have been a great segway into becoming a paid member of the NSMBA

Ha, yes I just tried to join, filled out all the info etc only to find that it's credit card payment only. What a backwards country ;) I'm used to paying online with a normal bank card but I guess you can't do that here for some reason. I'll have to steal my wife's credit card when there's money on it and try again. But in the meantime if it looks like someone has joined and then been to tight to pay then it'll be me :rolleyes:

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 10, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

Who needs trails when you have a Segway?

Now feel free to segue into encouraging everyone to become paid members of the nsmbA

I came back from a year away in July 1999 - finally ready to tackle the Reaper bridge - only to discover it had been destroyed a month before my return. I went up to Walk In The Clouds to get beaten up instead.

June 10, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

I've heard that said a lot. How do you figure?

June 10, 2009, 8:55 a.m.

care to expand on that? Not sure what you mean.