Ten Edit Commandments - What to Omit

Feb. 22, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

#13 Don't take yourself too seriously. Have some fun with it.

Nail on the head.

Thanks for tuning in and having some fun with this!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

Feb. 22, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

I liked Stephen's tongue in cheek 10 commandments. Made me think of Kenny straight away except the 11 bullet should be 'and blood should be avoided at all costs'

Feb. 22, 2012, 11:19 a.m.

I for one am done with people hating on people for hating on those criticizing people for hating on free content.

I had to read that 4 times, and I can't figure out if I should hate it or not.

The whole "it's cool to hate" trend is getting tiring. There's not much positive out there these days (or at least it's getting smothered) It all seems like someone puts something out there whether it be a vid, photo, bike, idea…whatever and all anyone wants to do it pick it apart and criticize it.

Feb. 22, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

For sure it's often easier to complain and be negative - and we are wired for it. At the same time if you have something to say it would be cowardly to avoid saying it simply because it's negative. We get enough of that with most bike reviews. :heart:

Let's not forget that we are also posting an individuals three favourite edits each day. Not to mention Seb being SOOO STOKED ON WATER.

Lots of love there.

Feb. 22, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

Art is art. I'm tired of people telling me what they hate.

:martini:

I for one am done with people hating on people for hating on those criticizing people for hating on free content.

This is one of those 6 layer mindhumps, isn't it?

:lol:

The whole "it's cool to hate" trend is getting tiring.

Spring sun is coming, and bringing positive attitudes with it.
And that same sun is bringing hot girls in the latest skin bearing fashions.

:bandit:

Feb. 22, 2012, 12:08 p.m.

it is easy to be a critic nowadays because there is literally a flood of (free) edits on the inter webs, opposed to a single 30 minute VHS tape in a year a decade ago.

That said, It would bi pretty cool if someone invented something new for a change. The fact that you need an article like this (and we do) says a lot about the copy/paste attitude as far as originality goes. Seasons (and Roam, and The Collective) worked because of originality and the spirit involved. Life cycles did that too. So did NWD.

This new media is awesome because it enables and encourages people to make stuff. Pity it hasn't encouraged people to be more original as well. Yet.

(ya, it's easy to be a critic.

Feb. 22, 2012, 12:16 p.m.

15. Do not attempt to please the internet

Feb. 22, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

I love free content.

But.

16: Intros and outros. They should not be a significant percentage of the overall clip length. This is not Jurassic Park here.

Feb. 22, 2012, 1:31 p.m.

would you be able to show this in some sort of flow chart or interative infographic for ease of understanding?

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Feb. 22, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

I read the article off the front page and for the first time noticed that the articles now have comments below them. I quite honestly would rather they didn't because the inane BBS chatter is lame.

The problem with this article is there is no sarcasm font and Matthews obviously wrote this article while he had his tongue placed firmly in his cheek.

People on the Internet get their knickers in a twist way too easy. BUT I bet there is helmet cam footage of that somewhere too.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Feb. 22, 2012, 4:34 p.m.

Everybody is a critic on the Internet. I guess we should ask for your portfolio and see if it isn't filler… I bet it isn't nonstop 20ft hucking over sharpened bamboo poles and exploding groms on 29rs.

Have you seen this? It's better than that. Definitely not much filler. http://vimeo.com/30529631

Also Gareth Dyer heelclicking the GLC drop pretty much shut it down forever. Amazing.

Feb. 22, 2012, 5:51 p.m.

Also Gareth Dyer heelclicking the GLC drop pretty much shut it down forever. Amazing.

The (relative) obscurity of that was the icing on the cake within the article.

I can't get over peoples sensitivity to this. So what if it's critical? Every aspect of our society is analyzed and criticized by someone at some point. Free or not it's out there for public consumption and is obviously going to get some feedback. Does it offend you because your video edit features every one of those 10 cliches?

Thanks NSMB for posting this up, nothing wrong with a little self-analysis within the scene.

Now if only someone will write an article on slopestylers copying each other on the same "in" trick every contest…

Feb. 22, 2012, 5:57 p.m.

Also this video made me happy this week:
http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/2012/02/odsy-vision-terry-aaron-mix-the-sequel/

Yes its 70% intro, and yes someone is making breakfast in it. The difference is it was creative and not done in a paint-by-numbers style like 80% of every other web edit, just some fun and good riding.

Feb. 22, 2012, 6:07 p.m.

Also this video made me happy this week:
http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/2012/02/odsy-vision-terry-aaron-mix-the-sequel/

That was a great edit, as was the Mathews one.

Feb. 22, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

no more high fives and pounding it !!, yes, yes, yes, awesome hating keep up the good work!!!