Tailgate America - Part III Added Nov. 22

Oct. 29, 2012, 2:34 a.m.

Ever wanted to road trip across the states hitting up all the classic riding destinations?

**[Live vicariously...

](http://nsmb.com/5614)**

**[Part II, The South East, is now up here...

](http://nsmb.com/5632)**

**[Part III, The South West, and Adrian shows signs of going crazy...

](http://nsmb.com/5655)**

flickr

Oct. 29, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

Nice trip. Definitely jealous but glad I can say I've ridden in a number of those areas!

Note on the Fruita disappointment, for some of the trails I totally understand, but some of them are laugh out loud fun. There's a lot more that the 18 Road trail area though.. plus the trails in nearby Grand Junction are awesome fun and less sanitized. The Lunch Loops trail area has some really nice techy lines in it.

Jon-boy.

Oct. 29, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

nice stuff adrian, glad we got that short nelson ride in with you and Em before you guys headed south! safe travels, can't wait to read the next report!

Oct. 29, 2012, 2:19 p.m.

Nice road trip report.

I'm surprised you guys didn't like Fruita, between it and Moab I'll take Fruita any day of the week. I will say that the trails outside of 18 Road are the highlights of the area. When I've gone there we typically hit Zippety, Kessel Run, Chutes and Ladders, and Vegetarian as end-of-the-day trails. You can spend all day there, but the technical and scenic gems are on the south side of the highway. I much prefer the Grand Junction Lunch Loops and the many offshoots from the Kokopelli Trail. Stop in at Over The Edge next time you are in town and you'll definitely get some help.

That said, your write-up has me interested in checking out Moab again. I wrote it off years ago as over-priced and over-crowded, but maybe I need to revisit the slickrock Mecca.

Idaho certainly sounds amazing though, I really enjoyed the riding I did in Moscow back in 2007, I should probably go check out more of it.

Oct. 30, 2012, 12:35 p.m.

We did ride the lunch loops, and stopped by over the edge. got some good advice from the guys at grassroots cycle in grand junction as well. had to instill the "fruita rule" too keep thing interesting, mandatory three trys at the awkward moves. I am sure there is good riding there, if you spend enough time, we just were not into it?

and flip, yeah thanks for the tour of your new turf.

Adrian

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Oct. 30, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

had to instill the "fruita rule" too keep thing interesting, mandatory three trys at the awkward moves. I am sure there is good riding there, if you spend enough time, we just were not into it?

A similar first experience can be had on the Shore if you end up on the wrong trails.

Great trip, super jealous.

flickr

Nov. 7, 2012, 12:54 a.m.

Part II is now up. Crunchy golden brown coating everything.

flickr

Nov. 7, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

As a northeasterner I have been eyeing the southeast as a possible residency. Year round riding, yet still enough seasons to make you warm inside. None of this 6 months of clouds and rain crap.

Would you go back to the Southeast again?

Nov. 9, 2012, 8:40 a.m.

for sure. at the very least its worth a trip to see for your self.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Nov. 22, 2012, 1:18 a.m.

Get on with Part III, where I think Adrian might be studying Zen and the Art of Station Wagon Maintenance.

flickr

Nov. 22, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

Since NSMB doesn't have a "Like" button, Rep. for Joe Dick will have to do.

Looks like a great trip.

~~~~~~~~~~

Is JD being cast as Kurtz in this story?

Nov. 22, 2012, 1 p.m.

you're sure covering a lot of ground in a short period of time. I guess Cali is next? If you're going through norcal I'll pm you some good info

For sure there's good riding down there and the southern end of the Appalachians has some decent vert too.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 26, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

You are living large, Adrian. Great trip reports!

Hope to see you around these parts for some touring this winter.

Nov. 26, 2012, 8:47 p.m.

Highway 40 cuts a blacktop scar across the weathered skin of northern Texas. A well used compact wagon, pressed into duty as a road trip wagon, shows the signs of its past life in the sparkles from children’s costumes stuck to its cracked leather seats and small dents in the fenders. Still holding the musty earth smell of the mountains within the Confederacy, without complaint it slides through the landscape amongst the big rigs and convoys of vehicles in the rush west. Billboards flash calls to the Lord, political posturing and a re-occurring advertisement for a “Free 72oz Steak”.

I could read that paragraph a dozen times. I'm up to four right now.

welcome to the bottom of my post.