Suspension Tuning: Push Industries Upper Link for Santa Cruz Nomad

June 1, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

It says you need a longer shock with the Push link…what i2i do you need?

Anyone try it with a Vivid Air?

You use the same shock that is stock. The link includes a small adapter that effectively increases the i2i.

June 1, 2012, 11:53 a.m.

I'll take my lumps here with this being my first article. As per your comments Danny I found the stock setup on the Gen 2 very harsh so the comment in question was just to make a point and I disagree with you that the frames are not that different otherwise I would have not have needed to write this article and I would be happy with the stock setup. I had a lot of saddle time on the Gen 1 with very little setup time to make it right and that bike was awesome and I really miss it. In my mind the Gen 2 should be better than the Gen 1. I know others that have the exact same opinion of the Gen 2. What I do agree with is the carbon frame is much stiffer than the Gen 1.

As for the Marz shock I needed to machine the eyelet down to the size of a Fox eyelet. In my mind the Push link and Marz shock were the perfect combination.

The eye to eye needed with the Push link is longer than the stock shock but a odd ball length and the reason why a short adapter is needed.

June 1, 2012, 3:36 p.m.

So here is the reply from Push:

"The Nomad LINK is definitely coming back. We'll be taking pre-orders starting next Monday and will update the website at time."

flickr

June 1, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

Here you guys go….just reloaded it onto the site:

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=111[HTML_REMOVED]type;=products

If you keep an eye on our Facebook page I tend to post progress reports, but the links are being machined here at PUSH as I type. We expect the first back back from about a week from next Monday.

Darren

June 1, 2012, 5:41 p.m.

How do you machine a eyelet down?

June 1, 2012, 9:53 p.m.

You need a file, some time and a beer or two. I got it to fit perfectly in the space designed for the Fox.

June 2, 2012, 7:10 a.m.

So did you modify the shock?or the spacer/adapter that Push sold you.

June 3, 2012, 10:55 p.m.

I modified the shock. I asked Push whether they would offer a Marzocchi adapter but nothing is expected.

June 5, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

Thanks Brian for the article, well done! I agree with you, the standard linkage does feel harsh, with the factory RP23 and with my Roco WC coil (compared to Kram's Push/RC4 setup).

I just ordered the Push linkage. What exactly did you have to shave down to get your Roco to fit?

Thanks,
Jason

June 5, 2012, 9:36 a.m.

So the general consensus is that there isn't a big improvement in performance from running a coil shock with just the stock linkage? I want my nomad to be a mini V-10 like Kram talks about but don't want to fork over for the linkage as well.

June 5, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

I wanted a mini v-10 to.I bought a v-10:lolThe nomad is a wicked bike,but there's no substitute for the real thing.My nomad see's my weekday riding,and the v-10 goes up to the park on weekends.

June 6, 2012, 9:47 p.m.

You use the same shock that is stock. The link includes a small adapter that effectively increases the i2i.

so this will not work with a vivid air? (du bushings are the same as fox shocks). reason Id like to know is because I have a vivid air on my nomad.

June 6, 2012, 10:45 p.m.

so this will not work with a vivid air? (du bushings are the same as fox shocks). reason Id like to know is because I have a vivid air on my nomad.

I believe it will fit, but as far as I've read it doesn't play nice with an air shock. Probably will ramp up too much at the end stroke. But I'd be curious to know. Perhaps next week when I have some visitors with Nomads I will do a swap to try it and see how it goes out of curiosity. If I'm not to busy with bikes, friends and beers (more than likely).

June 6, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Well I think I've found a good deal on a used RC4 to swap on, I'll see what the performance gain is like and likely pick up the push linkage later this season.

June 7, 2012, 1:15 p.m.

Thanks for writing this up, I am very glad to have found the information provided here!

I really wanted to love my new Nomad, but have been frustrated with the handling characteristics when it comes to high speed technical/chunky sections of my local trails. The bike performs great otherwise, but when i want to let it out through the rock gardens, it starts to feel more like a flexy hardtail. I have done everything to tune the DHX Air, and even swapped to an RP3 AVA (which felt better).
After reading this, it seems like I am not the only one who has the same issue with the rear end, and I am happy that there is a solution!
I have a Pushed DHX 3.0 with a Ti coil that I will me mounting up to the Push Link. I am pretty confident that this will allow the bike to run like I need it to.
One question, as many of my bikes are "Short-Shocked", is it possible to run my shock in the new link Without the adapter - to lower my BB and slacken the HA ?