Story+Photos: North Shore History X - ***Part II ADDED***

Jan. 16, 2012, 12:03 a.m.

Mark Wood is doing his homework as the NSMBA's Program Manager, digging up stories and archival photos from the early days on the Shore.

Part I covers the foundations of riding here by Digger's hand...

Part II follows the explosion of freeride and what was happening behind the scenes here on the Shore...

Bone up on your history…

flickr

Jan. 16, 2012, 12:18 a.m.

holy premium content batman. that was great!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 16, 2012, 5:59 a.m.

Jeebus…put some pants on,Simmons!

good article!

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 16, 2012, 8:20 a.m.

If Wade starts wearing lycra again so will I

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer

Jan. 16, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

That was a spiffing read.

The Maruishi only withstood Digger[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s abuse for 3 weeks before it snapped. [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;But it was a great three weeks![HTML_REMOVED]#8221; he howls.

LOL

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 16, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

great history!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 16, 2012, 10:41 a.m.

Awesome! Thanks for putting these together. I love learning about the history of the sports I love, especially in such legendary locations like the Shore. Keep em coming!

Jan. 16, 2012, 10:41 a.m.

excellent work, another quality article from NSMB.com

never met Dan :(

but met Todd at Cypress in 2005, and still have fond memories of our first "meeting" (I almost ran him over on a fast berm in the fledgling bike park), lots to talk about as two trail builders from different sides of the World

the history in this article is fascinating, here in the UK in the early 90s we were still obsessed with riding and racing XC

and any "trail building" was scraping sheep sh*t off of the XC trails, or raking leaf fall away after the Autumn season

who the hell who have ever guessed it would lead to this? get on an airplane and travel across the World to find out more about these "cedar bridges" :)

Jan. 16, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

another excellent read. If this keeps up, you should have enough material to publish in a book, and a great book it would be.

Jan. 16, 2012, 5:46 p.m.

Sweet article, crazy shot of that savage Wheeldrop on that old school bike doing his signature move.

Jan. 16, 2012, 6:21 p.m.

Learned the move from billy Big bucks long ago , the man eric the crow executes it rather smoothly.I am still running that Hope hub and front wheel built by Ben at BikeSmith on my sx trail.Funny how wade used to ride a Klien mantra had one of those aswell after my DBR.Been Riding with Woodro for 17 years.Back when our Bodys were the suspension I remember when we rode had to do serious couch time to recoperate
I wish i New the Twins back then i think you guys were still in your teens .How Biking and trails have evolved into a passionate love affair with two wheels and some suspenders .I remember when those mag 21's came out game changer.First bike i owned was a Rocky Mountain Fusion with these panaracer Spiker Tires .That picture is a classic Tounge out ,Sporting the Hockey roost protector,Soccer cleats,And rear Magura brakes.On the Rickedy Foes single pivot.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Jan. 16, 2012, 10:42 p.m.

Learned the move from billy Big bucks long ago , the man eric the crow executes it rather smoothly.I am still running that Hope hub and front wheel built by Ben at BikeSmith on my sx trail.Funny how wade used to ride a Klien mantra had one of those aswell after my DBR.Been Riding with Woodro for 17 years.Back when our Bodys were the suspension I remember when we rode had to do serious couch time to recoperate
I wish i New the Twins back then i think you guys were still in your teens .How Biking and trails have evolved into a passionate love affair with two wheels and some suspenders .I remember when those mag 21's came out game changer.First bike i owned was a Rocky Mountain Fusion with these panaracer Spiker Tires .That picture is a classic Tounge out ,Sporting the Hockey roost protector,Soccer cleats,And rear Magura brakes.On the Rickedy Foes single pivot.

Although your face has become weathered with age, it's funny you still make that face when you ride,my first bike was a Gary Fisher Mamba,summer of 96,use to mostly street ride and then learned about ol BBY Mountain,thouhght that was the bomb then i discovered the shore in 99,got my ass kicked,rode a Maxiam,with Manitou 2inch travel froks ,no rear suspension,and magura raceline brakes.Peadaled up old buck and rode down Neds, man what a day that was,my intro to the shore was some chick with a broken leg ,by the hollowed out log roll(where the gap is) we showed search and rescue where to find her. Been hooked like a fish ever since. DIGGER IS THE MAN! BOOYA!

Jan. 16, 2012, 11:03 p.m.

Digger,

Thanks for all the memories

Jan. 17, 2012, 11:36 a.m.

On the Rickedy Foes single pivot.

the Foes Weasel - they didn't last long

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 17, 2012, 10:40 p.m.

Really great article! Looking forward to the next chapter..

f e r g s :canada: