Steve Smith Wins at Port Angeles Pro GRT #1

April 30, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

Just a hop, skip, and a jump from Victoria, Steve Smith has claimed victory in the first race of the Pro GRT aboard his Devinci Wilson.

Read on here...

flickr

April 30, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

YEAH! Here's hoping he gets a few WC wins this year too!

April 30, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

Why is NSMB not mentioning about our two BC women that did so well.I think this does a disservice to the women in the sport.It kinda gives the feeling that they(the women [HTML_REMOVED] Girls)of the sport do not matter that much.I even think the Pro purses should be the same for men and women it would encourage more Girls [HTML_REMOVED] Women into the sport.Hey it costs Pro women the same to get to the races and train so why the disparity. Any thoughts?

April 30, 2012, 10:05 p.m.

totally agree that NSMB.com should mention the fact that some of the local girls did well(and by well i mean awesome).

You should check out Rachel Athertons view on equality for the DH race scene.

Do you really think equal pro purses would really get more girls into the sport? I'm willing to bet most racers don't start racing because of what the pro's get for purses. Ask any racer why they raceā€¦..I bet their first answer is not about the oversized carboard check(1000 and 500 at the Pro GRT)

April 30, 2012, 11:47 p.m.

Yes I agree and the numbers do not support equality in the purses.I just think it will be nice when we get more Girls [HTML_REMOVED] Women in the sport all round. And by reporting on Awesome riding by some local girls is the step in the right direction.In defense of NSMB It may not even have been NSMB that even wrote the article.Just something I noticed on NSMB and Pinkbike they seem to leave out the Womens results.

April 30, 2012, 11:57 p.m.

We were sent the release by Gabe at Devinci, and being fans of Stevie, we went ahead and posted it. If you've got interesting content ideas, including women's race results, feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected].

flickr

May 1, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

didn't realize it was such a stacked field - awesome to see steve on top of the box. i'm speculating gwin has motivated the top seed to step up in the off season and we won't see the same AG dominance as last year - which should make for an awesome series.

May 1, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

didn't realize it was such a stacked field - awesome to see steve on top of the box. i'm speculating gwin has motivated the top seed to step up in the off season and we won't see the same AG dominance as last year - which should make for an awesome series.

Nevermind steve, look at the other BC/Vancouver Islanders on that list!

Bicycles!