Specialized Stumpjumper EVO - NSMB Mega Test – Part 2 Added!

July 27, 2012, 12:06 a.m.

For the past few months we've had our hands on the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO in both 26" and 29" flavours. We sorted out a simple testing plan, but the data we came out with was a lot to chew on.

Get to know the test parameters, testers, and bikes, here...

And read the full test report here...

flickr

July 27, 2012, 2:08 a.m.

Great. Part 2 of Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil vs. DB Air never materialized - I wonder if this will be any different.

July 27, 2012, 8:03 a.m.

Great. Part 2 of Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil vs. DB Air never materialized - I wonder if this will be any different.

If you are referring to the DB-Air series being written by Arthur Gaillot ( www.suspension-therapy.com ) :

He sustained, and is in the process of recovering from, a bad concussion (I prefer the term "brain injury" but don't want to sound too dramatic), so I think we can cut him a bit of slack on writing articles until he is, at the very least, able to work (never mind ride) again.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

July 27, 2012, 8:12 a.m.

If you are referring to the DB-Air series being written by Arthur Gaillot ( www.suspension-therapy.com ) :

He sustained, and is in the process of recovering from, a bad concussion (I prefer the term "brain injury" but don't want to sound too dramatic), so I think we can cut him a bit of slack on writing articles until he is, at the very least, able to work (never mind ride) again.

-D

word, stay tough arthur, we miss you out on the trails!

July 27, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

-D

wow, still? that was a while ago :(
heal up arthur!

July 27, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

-D

Not good to hear. I hope he has some good care givers with solid advice. You need to take it very easy at first. Concussions are very different injuries from broken bones and sprains. I know too many people these days that have had concussions which have dramatically altered their lifestyles.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 27, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Part II of this test is going to run next week, I've already got it loaded up and ready to go. If you saw how big it was, you'd understand why we split it!

flickr

July 27, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

Will the hit to the head make him like the CC Air, or will CC write off his thoughts based on his trauma?

Heal up Arthur!

July 27, 2012, 6:09 p.m.

Sad to hear about the brain injury thing.
Perhaps, and seriously, we need a review of bike helmets, assuming it was a bike accident.
Maybe not use real brains, but some form of dummy brain. (that's not a volunteer statement for my brain.)
Anyway, not sure ow many, like me, just jumped ahead to read the conclusion of the 26 vs 29 debate only to realize that we'll have to wait in suspense….

July 27, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

Sad to hear about the brain injury thing.
Perhaps, and seriously, we need a review of bike helmets, assuming it was a bike accident.
Maybe not use real brains, but some form of dummy brain.

Its interesting that you bring this up. I've heard that the University of Waterloo is going to be doing a bunch of research into helmets and brain injury come the fall. I believe it has to do with crash/impact testing, and how well different helmets protect against different impacts.

OT: I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of this test. I've had a couple of people come and ask me about 29ers as they relate to the riding in Ptown, and it would be nice to have some articles to point to with a direct comparison.

July 28, 2012, 11:01 a.m.

Its interesting that you bring this up. I've heard that the University of Waterloo is going to be doing a bunch of research into helmets and brain injury come the fall. I believe it has to do with crash/impact testing, and how well different helmets protect against different impacts.

Speaking of head-to-head (no pun intended) comparisons… I would be Very interested in seeing, scientific, comparisons of the impact energy absorbing characteristics of different models of helmets.

I think they are ugly, and over-priced, but I would line up to buy a POC Trabec if I thought it would actually do a better job of protecting my brain compared to my, relatively cheap and relatively less ugly, Giro Hex.

OT: I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of this test. I've had a couple of people come and ask me about 29ers as they relate to the riding in Ptown, and it would be nice to have some articles to point to with a direct comparison.

Mountain Bike Action (bastion of impartial testing that they are) tried to do a "scientific" head-to-head comparison of "identical" bikes a few years ago and succeeded in proving that an equivalent 26" bike will have lighter wheels and a 29" bike will maintain better traction in some situations and roll over things with less body english.

The only way to know what wheels size is best for you (based on whatever metric - tech climbing, tech descending, tight corners, how many people ask you about your bike - is important to you) is to do your own head-to-head test.

I predict that the NSMB.com conclusion will be:

1) Fully loaded Specialized Stumpy Evo bikes, in 26" and 29" wheel sizes, are both very fun. At this price point why do I not get the top-end fork?

2) Some of our test riders like to plow through shit and they thought the 29" was, slightly, more better. Some of our test riders like to rail fast corners and they thought the 26" was, slightly, more better.

-D

July 28, 2012, 6:10 p.m.

Any testers around 200lbs? As someone who is 6'2" 195lbs and rides aggressively I am interested in how these stumpys would feel. Part of me wants one, and part of me fears flexy noodlyness in corners and chunder. The 32 series forks are probably a give away… but I can hope can't I?

July 28, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

Any testers around 200lbs? As someone who is 6'2" 195lbs and rides aggressively I am interested in how these stumpys would feel. Part of me wants one, and part of me fears flexy noodlyness in corners and chunder. The 32 series forks are probably a give away… but I can hope can't I?

How about you?

Assuming (quite possible incorrectly) that you are local-ish to the North Shore and assuming you are interested in trying a long travel 29'er (since most of us have a friend with a good 6"+6" 26" bike), last time I checked you can test:

Stumpy 29'er : Obsession: Bikes ([HTML_REMOVED] Possibly Steed?)

Tallboy LT : Steed

Kona Satori : Cove Bikes ([HTML_REMOVED] Possible Different NV?)

Those would be the three bikes on my short list…

-D

July 28, 2012, 10:38 p.m.

I'm coming dangerously close to 200 lb right now and have taken both the 26" and 29" EVOs for long rides recently. The Revelation with 20mm axle is a much better fork at 150mm than a Fox 32, so I have no complaints about the perceived stiffness of these bikes. I've ridden the 34 on a couple of 29ers and am looking forward to logging some time on a 26" version soon.

flickr

July 28, 2012, 11:08 p.m.

The best and worst thing about the 26 vs. 29 debate is that there will never be a clear answer. I definitely do appreciate how the 29er helps keep me fresher on long rides.