Shoeing on the Shore - like methadone for riders?

Jan. 8, 2009, 4:35 p.m.

^^^ hahah, totally, or if the snow is firm enough there's always the ol' GT Racer faceplanter

Since I have a shovel in my backpack anyway, I am a huge fan of the shovel glissade.

Jan. 9, 2009, 8:20 a.m.

finally someone who agrees with me on this, dunno which came first but I've always said it should be Expresso.

I've always thought the sign was wrong.

Very cool. I know Burke is usually snowed in quite late, that's where I'll likely be headed. With the kidlet in a backpack this could be a fun family adventure.

Are poles necessary?

I did a trip up Seymour with Susan and JLS, and I did the baby in a backpack thing to slow me down a bit, it's a bit harder with a kid since you're constantly afraid of falling, but it was fun having a hike to the sound of snoring :D.

Burke is really cool in the snow, Eagle is cooler. The trails above 4LS/Massage at the top are relatively low grade, so you can go for ages, and the lakes look really cool in the winter.

Jan. 9, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

Snowing and -2 up on Cypes. Just about to head out for a tromp!

Jan. 9, 2009, 12:27 p.m.

I've always thought the sign was wrong.

Ditto, its Expresso, even the old maps say it

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 9, 2009, 10:36 p.m.

Snowing and -2 up on Cypes. Just about to head out for a tromp!

Can you give us "9-5 slaves to the man" types a snow report?

Dec. 19, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

If the rest of the winter follows this snow pattern, I think we might see more people doing this on the mtn bike trails.

Last winter my wife and I did some snowshoeing on the Whistler trails: Trash, Kill Me Thrill Me [HTML_REMOVED] the first part of Comfortably Numb.

If you haven't done it before, snowshoeing is a lot more work than mtn biking.

Dec. 19, 2012, 9:59 p.m.

Been up Eagle last couple of days with the snowshoes.

Wet snow on the trees and some gusting winds today made for an interesting hike to say the least. Large trees snapping and falling everywhere. A big one came down on the dentist where I had passed 20 seconds earlier. There is a foot in the bush at the dentist mid point. Almost 2 feet at the bottom of the trail on the road. The mtb trails do make for some great snowshoeing.

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 20, 2012, 6:34 a.m.

Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good? I've been tossing this idea back and forth for awhile now, not willing to pull the trigger on a couple hundred bucks for something that might only be good for a short time around here. I need an alterative to biking but these days just don't have the time for a full day away from the family to hit the hills on the board. Biking was nice, being able to duck out for a couple of hours after work and burn some ballast off.

Great article!

I just picked up a set this week from the Volleyball store on Brunette near Lougheed. The place doubles as a snowshoe outlet for one particular brand but I don't think they advertise it well. They had all the sizes and I walked away with a brand new pair with bag for $85 including tax.

Edit: I just realized how old DaveM's post was. Talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead. I should have known when I saw Biggles with hair.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Dec. 20, 2012, 7:26 a.m.

I just picked up a set this week from the Volleyball store on Brunette near Lougheed. The place doubles as a snowshoe outlet for one particular brand but I don't think they advertise it well. They had all the sizes and I walked away with a brand new pair with bag for $85 including tax.

Edit: I just realized how old DaveM's post was. Talk about resurrecting a thread from the dead. I should have known when I saw Biggles with hair.

They had an ad on craigslist…. I was going to look into them but thanks for confirming. Now i'll have something to do next week when work is closed

Dec. 20, 2012, 9:14 a.m.

They had an ad on craigslist…. I was going to look into them but thanks for confirming. Now i'll have something to do next week when work is closed

No idea what brand that store sells, but if they are Bigfoot, Sridout tried a set for himself, his wife and 2 kids. Killed them all and had to replace them:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2602513[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=57

I've rented a bunch of different brands, the expensive models are worth buying (heel lifts, traction bars, etc).

Snowshoe buying thread here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=128663

Dec. 20, 2012, 9:18 a.m.

No idea what brand that store sells, but if they are Bigfoot, Sirout tried a set for himself, his wife and 2 kids. Killed them all and had to replace them:

I've rented a bunch of different brands, the expensive models are worth buying (heel lifts, traction bars, etc).

More importantly, around here, MSR is really the only thing worth considering. The metal runners and the cross braces that act like paddles make them the best functioning (albeit ugly) shoes out there.

Dec. 20, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

I have the atlas, no crossbars but lots jagged metal cleats underneath. They work very well for steep technical trails climbing over trees etc. Don't know if there are tails add ons, but that would be good for the open soft stuff.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Snowsports/Snowshoes/PRD~5022-896/atlas-1225-snowshoes.jsp

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 20, 2012, 10:20 a.m.

Snowshoeing might seem dull to the adrenaline-set, but it's a blast. The past few winters I'd snowshoe all the NS mountains, as each has it's own character: Grouse, being close by and with me having the local's pass, was a great workout as the "Winter Grind" is not easy, particularly with a toddler on your back.

For views and the feeling of the pseudo-backcountry, nothing beats Cypress out past the resort (just make sure you pick up the free backcountry pass from a ticket window). On a clear day it's truly amazing.

Coupled with a good child carrier, snowshoeing provided some amazing bonding time with my son. I'm going to try snowshoeing locally now at Mt. Hood, but the boy might be a bit big for the carrier now (or more to the point a bit big for me to haul).

Dec. 20, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

Save the $200 and get a split or touring skiis.

If yer gonna hike up ride down at least.

Lotsa great little zones on the Shore.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Dec. 20, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

No idea what brand that store sells, but if they are Bigfoot, Sirout tried a set for himself, his wife and 2 kids. Killed them all and had to replace them:

Yep the Big foots don't work here. Snow is to wet and icy. They slip. Pain in the ass to put on and they fall off fairly easy. Then they become a real bugger to get back on due to the snow that builds up in the bukel.They also don't hold up well at all. May work better in dry powder but not around here. Replaced them with MCR and have been much happier.

Master of Puppets