Shoeing on the Shore - like methadone for riders?

Jan. 8, 2009, 12:16 a.m.

It's not quite as good as riding but a lot of the elements are there - and it keeps you from going into withdrawal.

Here's my take on walking on snow...

Jan. 8, 2009, 7:02 a.m.

Nice, something I have been looking at doing the last year or so. I also want to get back into XC skiing, used to do a ton when I was younger.

Jan. 8, 2009, 7:20 a.m.

Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good? I've been tossing this idea back and forth for awhile now, not willing to pull the trigger on a couple hundred bucks for something that might only be good for a short time around here. I need an alterative to biking but these days just don't have the time for a full day away from the family to hit the hills on the board. Biking was nice, being able to duck out for a couple of hours after work and burn some ballast off.

Great article!

Jan. 8, 2009, 8:13 a.m.

Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good?

Any time there is boot deep snow or more it's worth it. The more the better, but it's so fun to wander the forest after a dump. Talk about off the beaten path.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 8, 2009, 8:22 a.m.

FYI the article mentions that we don't carry snowshoes this year. Correction - we do have Atlas shoes (923, 925, 1023, 1025 and Run models). They're available in all stores while supplies last. And we match MEC and Coast prices.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=117023

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:01 a.m.

Those pictures of Fromme in the snow and fantastic. Thanks for changing it up

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:21 a.m.

Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good? I've been tossing this idea back and forth for awhile now, not willing to pull the trigger on a couple hundred bucks for something that might only be good for a short time around here. I need an alterative to biking but these days just don't have the time for a full day away from the family to hit the hills on the board. Biking was nice, being able to duck out for a couple of hours after work and burn some ballast off.

Great article!

the local mountains have enough snow for at least 3 months a year. I decided to purchase snowshoes this year and have been pleasantly surprised as well. I like to use the ipod for excursions.

some snaps from my excursions this year:

http://www.nsmb.com/team/page

:canada:

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:37 a.m.

Packed trails are great for a "hiking" type experience. You can log some good miles with minimal effort. Mt. Seymour is a good destination - long hike, and it's free!!!

The deeper the snow gets, the bigger the platform you need, and the harder the it gets. Breaking trail is a bitch in the deep stuff, but it'll get you places where others haven't gone. I've got these. Great shoe for snow hiking, decent for running, and you can add the tails when in the shit. They really do make a huge difference in the deep stuff. The ascent bar is a great tool for long ascents.

Gaiters: good suggestion. Not only do they keep the snow out of your boots, but also provide some pant protection from the snowshoes.

Lights: again, a good tip. You can use just a small led, or regular hiking headlamp. Don't bring the HID's. You won't need them, nor be popular with anyone you come across.

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:39 a.m.

Time for a link to my snowshoe thread from last Feb.?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=106615

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:40 a.m.

anyone been up shoeing with all the rain? wondering if it's a slushy mess or still coming down as white stuff on lower Fromme.

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:42 a.m.

the local mountains have enough snow for at least 3 months a year. I decided to purchase snowshoes this year and have been pleasantly surprised as well. I like to use the ipod for excursions.

Very cool. I know Burke is usually snowed in quite late, that's where I'll likely be headed. With the kidlet in a backpack this could be a fun family adventure.

Are poles necessary?

Jan. 8, 2009, 9:51 a.m.

… With the kidlet in a backpack this could be a fun family adventure.

I was just thinking the same. I went a few times last year to Cypress (my friend Nathan needed to rent snowshoes) and had a blast. Coffee in one thermos, Baileys in the other.
Likes - going on clearer days so that the reward at the top includes a view.
Dislikes - staying in the tracked out snowshoe trails. I find they often get really narrow/difficult so I usually follow the trail (ie. hike within 10 feet of the trail) and stay on the freshest snow I can.

Great article!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Jan. 8, 2009, 10:05 a.m.

Are poles necessary?

no but they are nice as they give a workout to your upper body and it is easier with them when its steep and/or icy.

:canada:

Jan. 8, 2009, 10:17 a.m.

anyone been up shoeing with all the rain? wondering if it's a slushy mess or still coming down as white stuff on lower Fromme.

raining to the top and over saturating the snowpack. i was crotch deep with my snow shoes on last night in the rain. wait unitll it freezes solid

Jan. 8, 2009, 10:18 a.m.

Great article! I just got my snowshoes and I can't wait to get out and use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY9ApsNRs2Q

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr