Shaking off the Cobwebs - by Dan Gronross

March 3, 2009, 6:07 p.m.

That was awesome Dan!! Can't wait to come out for a ride soon!. and that pic on the GLC is nasty!!

March 3, 2009, 7:18 p.m.

maybe the first ride of the year for mainlanders, but we've barely missed a w/e here on the island.

March 3, 2009, 8:32 p.m.

tomorrow is the big day!

took the day off work as its my birthday… gonna hit seymour with some friends in the morning and the cypress for some afternoon skiing

rode sfu a few times in the past month so its not all bad, but i'm nervous already :) Seymour is a different animal all together!

remember, no brakes = moar faster = moar rad. :lol:

Check my stuff for sale!

March 4, 2009, 10:57 a.m.

maybe the first ride of the year for mainlanders,

ya, lower trails have been bare since mid-Jan but not many people out. Why ride nice dry trails when you can get core shots on Whis? ;)

Nice article, big gap!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 5, 2009, 8:38 a.m.

HEy MPD, cannot rep you for the awesome pic… :eek:

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 5, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

the only things melted out in kamloops are the big bomb drops and senders.

looks like there won't be any wading in this year…

March 5, 2009, 10:36 a.m.

what a fantastic day on the mountain yesterday.

I ended up hitting stuff I've never had the nerve to do before and both friends had a blast.

Other then my buddy leading down incline (i've never ridden it before, neither had he) and getting caught completely caught off guard @ the river gap, the day was mostly injury free!

He ate it fairly bad @ the gap though… Really surprised there isn't any sort of signage up for that.

Even though we should stopped to look, that trail really was fairly tame so we didn't expect such a gnarly obstacle.

all in all, i'd say the webs are dusted off!

March 5, 2009, 9:12 p.m.

I've been riding all winter @ my local riding spot the Delta Watershed. Not unbelievable riding by any stretch of imagination but damn good for me over the winter months nonetheless. Hit up Cypress for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast. Upper Sex Girl is DOPE. Props to the builders for making the trail awesome. Tried my dardnest not to accumulate any cobwebs over the winter but I think for me the first test of "cobwebbyness" will be my first day at the park. Hitting speeds like you can at Whistler sure tests your skills and your confidence, at least for me it does. If I can rip after a few runs in the park, I know I am on my game. Here comes the sun………..

Shed head!

March 5, 2009, 11:09 p.m.

Tried my dardnest not to accumulate any cobwebs over the winter but I think for me the first test of "cobwebbyness" will be my first day at the park. Hitting speeds like you can at Whistler sure tests your skills and your confidence, at least for me it does. If I can rip after a few runs in the park, I know I am on my game. Here comes the sun………..

I hear you on that one! Each year, my first run is always Dirt Merchant… as is each day at the Park… but I roll up along Easy Does It and I get that same feeling at the DM turnoff … "Can I do it? Can I ride this trail like last year?"… First run is always a "gettin your legs back" kind of deal, but as the day progresses… Golden!

See you in the lift line!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

March 7, 2009, 7:08 p.m.

I'll look for your bike Dan, and say hi when I see you. Purple Demo?

Shed head!

March 7, 2009, 8:43 p.m.

i did it. I rode the shore today for the first time in over a year, in the snow, on a new bike. AND IT WAS AWESOME! My cardio sucks and my knees were buckling at the bottom but it put a big smile on my face. I had to chase Naz and Tippie all the way down so I was trying hard!

April 9, 2010, 9:01 a.m.

I love how old articles and the threads still get me stoked. I am so eager to ride. However being bikeless (some lowlife knicked it and other things in motion have tied up the funds to buy a new one)I have to contend with keeping stoked by reading NSMB religiously, watching freecaster.tv, magazines and watching any dvd that I can get my hands on.

Thank you internet :-)

April 9, 2010, 10:05 a.m.

"IT was nice to know we can still ride" he writes under the pic of sending the blood donor gap on first ride of the season…pfft. Nice. Bit of an understatement. I cant imagine ticking that on day 1 of the riding season - or day 100. hope that was a good season for them

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 19, 2010, 5:19 p.m.

"IT was nice to know we can still ride" he writes under the pic of sending the blood donor gap on first ride of the season…pfft. Nice. Bit of an understatement. I cant imagine ticking that on day 1 of the riding season - or day 100. hope that was a good season for them

…..no such thing as day 1 of the riding season when you ride year round ;)