Seb Kemp at 2012 Trans-Provence - Full Results Up!

Sept. 28, 2012, 6:29 p.m.

There has been a DH timed race within a race on the BC Bike Race for the last two years and anyone who followed at least a bit of it would realise that any WC level XC rider actually has DH skills that far exceed the average forum lurker. Take away the need to climb competitively which allows the selection of a more robust bike and leaves more energy for the 'down' and it is no surprise that the XC types are faring quite well at the TP.

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

Sept. 29, 2012, 8:16 a.m.

how did our boy Seb do? Is the race STILL on?

Sept. 29, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

I was referring to kabush specifically. I'm aware that world cup xc racers can rip, but they wouldn't all be competitive at an event like this.
It's cool that both fit downhillers and skilled xc guys can both do well at these races. Makes it feel like a proper mountain bike event.

I think you underestimate the current crop of World Cup XC racers. All of the top riders are amazing technical riders that can get down just about anything at speed. You don't get to that level purely with fitness these days. The fact that hey can do what they do on pinner hardtails and short travel XC bikes with their saddles at road racing heights is phenomenal.

Sept. 30, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

how did our boy Seb do? Is the race STILL on?

http://www.trans-provence.com/coverage_2012.shtml

it's over, seb finished 15th, 2nd amateur

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 1, 2012, 11:27 a.m.

Well that's outstanding!
In a year where he recovered from a crushed foot.
That is simply beyond my comprehension.

was Seb born on this planet?

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:43 a.m.

Final results and the remainder of the videos are up HERE.

flickr

Oct. 2, 2012, 6:17 a.m.

I'd be really curious to know what tires the top 20 were on. Width and casing, tubeless (or not), and how many tires they went through during the race…

Thanks for the coverage guys, it was awesome. This race is definitely on my bucket list….

Oct. 2, 2012, 7:01 p.m.

Just to anyone thinking how a Trans-S2S would work, there could be no double days in any town. The idea of these things is to travel by bike, see different areas, and experience riding on radically different terrain.
If anything like this did happen it would have to go (somewhat) along the lines of:
-NV (deep cover[HTML_REMOVED]Horseshoe bay triple crown)
-Squamish (burlier Test course with bigger climbs and more focused downs)
-Whistler (similar to 4kings King Kong EnduroX but with bigger climbs between stages. ie. Roundhouse[HTML_REMOVED]Khybers[HTML_REMOVED]UpUpAway[HTML_REMOVED]Gargamel)
-Pemberton (Nimby[HTML_REMOVED]Owl Creek)
-Day five ?

Oct. 2, 2012, 7:49 p.m.

^ No big deal. Easy days.

Oct. 2, 2012, 8:07 p.m.

I just built a ghetto version of a system like this in my house.

Its very simple if you are not worried about GPS tracking of the actual ride, IE not worried about whether people could cut corners or take out a section of trail, then you can use an iPhone with a 2d barcode reader at the start and ends.
Each rider has a unique barcode assigned to them (http://barcode.tec-it.com/, Select 2d barcodes, then enter your full name in the data box). This could be stored on a cell phone, printed and laminated like a WBP pass.
The rider would then get scanned at the start and end of the stage, and the app (currently fucking wiht one called Barcodes Scanner by Romain Pechayre) keeps a history of the data from the barcode (your name) and the time that it was scanned. I guess you could then collate that data and find your times…

simple, pretty much free, and pretty much ready to go. Would obviously need to do some proper testing first, but shouldnt be too hard.

looks like something very similar to the rfid just using barcodes instead

Why not just use number plates and use webscorer?