Searching for Blue Skies in Pemberton

June 22, 2012, 1:39 a.m.

Seb Kemp was careful in choosing a new owner for his beloved Santa Cruz Butcher; the chosen one waxes poetically about his new ride.

Lots of imagery here...

flickr

June 22, 2012, 7:35 a.m.

Eloquent inspiration to get the heck up to Pemby!

June 22, 2012, 8:33 a.m.

My biking life got started when my father bequeathed (purchased) a Kona Cindercone to me at Deep Cove bike shop. Now 35 years old, I ride BMX, my beloved Santa Cruz Chameleon and am in a constant search for trails near Orlando, FL. I'm a case that it's never too late to learn how to really ride a bike. I'll always have the Shore in my heart, having ridden with guys now gracing the magazines, I miss that place, but I'm loving the tamer, flowy (if sandy) trails of Florida. This article reminded me of why I love biking. It takes us to beautiful places, gives us stuff to write about, scares us and challenges us. And when we give bikes away, which I've done on a number of occasions, it can be really exciting to share. It's truly a wonderful sport that I'm grateful to be a part of, even if I'm about as far away from Mt. Seymour (my spot for 5 years) as imaginable.

June 22, 2012, 7:19 p.m.

Great article Mathew!

June 30, 2012, 8:02 p.m.

Great article Matt. Tell us more about how the bike actually performed…did it stay together for the first ride? New builds are always a crap shoot. What were the trail surfaces like and how did the bike challenge them? What tires have you been running?